OFFICIAL Out of Contract Player thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by swedcrip34, Nov 3, 2004.

1. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    So who's a "free agent", able to leave free transfer, needs to be re-signed, etc.

Hopefully news articles will cover each team. I'll start.

SJ
    http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/10086817.htm
    Waibel, Corrales, De Rosario with Donovan set to have loan over, rest under contract or league options

COL
    http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~94~2504999,00.html
    Beckerman and Spencer with rest under contract or league options(Spencer retiring)

others I don't have links yet. Herzog and Bo in LA retiring. Let's try and keep this thread based on fact/news reports not wild speculation.

2. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Nelsen, Quaranta and Stewart from DC I know for sure.

I believe Olsen is as well.

3. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    don't think Olsen is

10/17/2003(probably WashPost)-"Ben Olsen and Dema Kovalenko, whose midfield play has helped put D.C. United on the brink of its first MLS playoff berth in four years, have signed multiyear contract extensions, the club announced yesterday As per league policy, terms were not disclosed and the length of their deals was not specified, but United technical director Dave Kasper said both contracts go beyond the 2004 season. "

4. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Ah, thanks... hadn't seen that.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Are you sure about Quaranta being free? He signed a similar deal to Eddie Johnson back in 01 and Eddie has two option years left.

Now, it could be that MLS chooses not to exercise the options on Santino's contract, but I think they have those options, at least.

6. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC has Zavagnin, Meola, and...i think that's it. I THINK.

7. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I'm pretty sure Bryan Namoff is out of contract for DC as well.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Zavagnin is out of contract? There could be some interest for him abroad and at this stage of his life, that is his last chance to cash in abroad if that's something he wants to do.

Could be he likes it here and wants to stay. But, if he wants the jack, this is a good time for him to be free.

9. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Am I right in assuming these are players who will be out-of-contract at the end of this season/year?

For the Revolution there's at least Rusty Pierce, Richie Baker, Andy Dorman, Steve Howey, and probably a few others, perhaps Brian Kamler?

The Magpie

10. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the chances Meola comes back? Has he talked about retirement?

11. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he knows it, too.

There was an article a while back ( i dont remember where) in which Kerry made it very clear that he would like to head to europe after this season.

That is provided, of course, that there is interest.

12. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt highly that he'll retire. I'm not even 100% sure his contract is up.

13. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ
    if i were him, i wouldnt retire till i got my 100th nat cap

14. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you'd never retire?

15. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    zing.

16. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    great work, if you have links, please post them

Metrostars
    http://www.northjersey.com/page.php...lRUV5eTY2MDc4ODcmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2
    Ziade
    Vaca
    note that SGR is guaranteed for 2005, Taylor is on loan (unsure about option to buy), Gilberto on loan (?), league has option year on Walker.

article doesn't directly say that others aren't under contract and doesn't fully explain loans, so I'm not saying this is the "whole" story

17. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    it's a complex situation, but Kreis is in play....

...will he protected?
    ...resign with FCD?
    ...at what number?
    ...would he go somewhere else?
    ...at what number?
    ...with what role?

-bs

18. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
  19. FCDarkness

FCDarkness New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Steelton, PA
    I wouldn't be surprised if Galvan Rey ended up on Chivas, as he has a reputation among fans who follow the Copa Libertadores.

20. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nick the pig did not comment on SGR in the daily news as a player that was either staying or leaving.. MOST LIKELY LEAVING. AND NOT TO CHIVAS, they have paco palencia as a striker... And a rumor had it that Ramon Ramiez will play either in the middle or the wing. DEPENDING where Ramon plays Chivas USA will look either at Colombia, Brazil, Uruguay, or Argentina for a 10 or winger...

And SGR has NO reputation in mexico, or any other place besides Colombia in Latin America for that matter. In Argentina he was seen as a OLD striker who got his break in Colombia after failing in Argentina... HE SPENT ALMOST HIS WHOLE PLAYING CAREER IN COLOMBIA... The only thing SGR has from the Copa Libertadores, is he was an idiot to leave Once Caldas a place he was loved to come and play for the Metro"stars". He was and is a MLS bust, for now, while Once Caldas is the champion of America, and will play the Intercontental cup in Tokyo in December.... :( poor Sergio... At least he earned his old club $400,000 U.S...

But again these are rumors.. Except SGR, he is all but out of the Metro"stars" for next season. UNLESS bob bradely says other wise....

As far as Meola. I posted a few weeks ago whether he was leaving or resigning... Didn't get a answer. I asked if anyone knew of any options he had abroad... So does any one know now?

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It was in the KC Star. At that time, and I have not been following this story since then, Kerry was seeking the Euro status since he seems to have an Irish grandmother.

IMO, he can make a Colaship or a Scottish League team.

22. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    iirc meolo applied for his italian passport and wanted to cash in in europe (this was posted somewhere on bs with a link)

23. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    I emailed Steve Goff of the Washington Post and he confirmed the only DC players out of contract are Stewart, Nelsen and Petke.

24. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    thanks a lot. i was hoping it would have come up clearly in the chat, but you pulled through for us.

this might play into the expansion draft so I hope to have a list for all teams by next week. thanks.

25. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ

if david seamen could play for england as a senior citizen, meola could play for the US as one too for at least half a match...:D

seriously, i really hope he gets his 100th cap