Official: NYC Soccer Stadium

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by napolisoccer, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruict

Ruict Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard the new Queens team is going to be called
    5 HOUR ENERGY DRINK " lol

2. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

[​IMG]

3. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL - what would they call that derby - HIGH SPEED DERBY, RAPID HEART BEAT DERBY lol

4. Ruict

Ruict Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOLOLOLOL

5. modernfootball

Apr 15, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    --other--
  6. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see Mr. Moya has a good PR team.

8. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Do you have any timeframe in mind for getting a proposal through Assembly? Once [planning processes] are moving forward, then I'm going to have to do everything at the state level for the park alienation space to this. Which, they came up with a great concept - the loss of the parkland, which is not actual green space to this, because this is just taking up areas in the park which are all the dead-pools that we talked about, 7.2 acres I think. They're looking at creating community parks within walking distance of that area, which I think is a great concept in this area. We need more green space, more of that. I think this is a great partnership, just not in the economics of it but in a natural fan-base to a sport that really - it is the world's sport."

For those concerned about park space - seems there is a plan in motion for that.

Im more concerned about the parking.

9. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in particular, who gets to keep the parking money!

10. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. citysoccer83

citysoccer83 Member

Jan 28, 2011
    I get the feeling that the wilpons will do everything in their power to stop this stadium from getting done. They don't want another stadium to compete with. Sad to say, but I'm not very optimistic at this point.

12. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Its a fair thought but knowing how closely the league has worked with them in the past - i dont think this is an issue because it would never have gotten this far.

Remember, the city just handed them...literally just HANDED them retail and entertainment redevelopment..so that might have been the deal.

Dont think that Queens really just happened 2 weeks ago - this has been in the works for a while. The Wilpons had to have known about this.

13. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Wilpons don't have the power to get a deal done, what reason is there to believe they have the power to kill one?

14. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And moreover I think that they will be happy to give the Citi Field as temporary stadium to the new NYC team in 2014 .......

15. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If there is money involved - yes - for sure and i still think they could have a roll in this whole thing.

SYoshonis - I think the Wilpons do have a fair amount of power in that area. They are the only MAJOR player in the district. They have a very close relationship with the local leaders.

16. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotcha. Sad, but not exactly unprecedented.

17. citysoccer83

citysoccer83 Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Weren't able to get one done, or didn't want to get one done? Let's look at things in perspective. They were just handed one of the largest development projects in NYC for basically no cost, they escaped the Madoff suit relatively unscathed compared to the potential losses, and they have a brand new stadium in citifield. There is something to be said about playing possum and I think there has been a little bit of that from the Wilpons over the passed couple of years, but I don't think they weren't able to get the mls team done. In fact, I think they could build a new stadium in their parking lot any time they want. "want" being the operative word. Also, it takes a lot more to get this deal done than it does to stop it from gettin done. All he needs is a couple politicians to take opposition or even delay a vote and he's successful. Again, I am routing for this stadium like no other, but I'm under no dissolutions that it's in Wilpons best interest to block it from developing.

18. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well i would question that. If they do the later part, the city could hurt them on the first part. The city wants the soccer stadium - Bloomy was always behind the idea.

Not saying its NOT possible - i just think its in their best interest to keep quite as they will be getting a lot of things to make them extra cash.

Unak78 repped this.
  19. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Unak78 repped this.
  20. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right - and notice the game is with Ecuador again - and Moya is Ecuadorian-American. Moya is also pushing for this stadium.

22. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argh, someone just waive a magic wand and have them place NYC FC at Citi in '14 until the stadium was built and give the Wilpons at least a share. Lets just get something done >_<

Unak78 and QueensNick repped this.
  23. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i know - im so tired of speculation already lol

24. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    He's lose them anyways if screws up his relationship with SUM. Not many soccer games happen here without coordination from SUM.

25. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a non-New Yorker, can someone tell me how valuable of a stadium project this could be for concert/events alone? Could this maybe be AEG pushing from behind the curtain of MLS? When I look around NYC, where can you have outdoor concerts in the summer? Central Park and the two baseball stadiums seem so expensive and so huge of capacity that only the biggest artists (Springsteen/U2 type of artists) can really fill those venues. Does this stadium fill a void in the market in NYC or is there other concert venues that I am not aware of? It seems like a SSS could easily have 20-30k concerts and events, is there other facilities like that in NYC or do you have to go to NJ or LI to find that kind of venue?

I'm not sure what the stadium costs will end up being, but if the stadium could fill a void in the market, I could see AEG wanting to build and operate the stadium just for the events and then just rent the stadium to the Cosmos group as a tenant.