Official: NYC Soccer Stadium

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by napolisoccer, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, if the entire world consisted of the USA. I doubt that anyone in Germany or India or Canada or Mexico or Ireland or Argentina or South Africa or Indonesia or Russia or Brazil or China just automatically thinks of New York when someone mentions the word "city." Hell, anyone outside the Eastern seaboard in the US, for that matter.

2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    And who cares about them?

SYoshonis repped this.
  3. EL YANQUI

EL YANQUI Red Card

Jun 3, 2011
    ACEVEDO DIAZ Y CHANA
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    talk about city and the first thing that comes to mind is manchester city FC...

I would just like to know some news any news of importance at the all star game be that NY or some where else..... It would be nice if the league would just say some thing...

I dont think we will get any news of importance any time this year, maybe at the end of 2013 but with so many issues on the table the NY project is 5 years away at best... I would not be surprised if the league just went with some one else if they have all their issues in order and are really ready to go..

i have some hope.... some one is still paying the very expensive rent at the cosmos expensive soho address..and it aint the mutts at copa cosmos.... that gives me a small grain of hope that some thing is being cooked up for the future....

4. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And some salaries.

If anyone thinks that the Cosmos are dead then they are not paying attention.

Its funny seing some people say they are dead because we haven't heard a word yet these are the same people that jumped on them whenever they did open their mouths.

I still think the Cosmos are going to be the team and I still think Queens is the eventual venue. 5 years off - it all depends if Citi Field can still be used as a Temp venue. Now that they got the All Star Game they could possibly let a team play there in 2014 - 2015 for a season or two while they build in Flushing Meadows.

Still a LOT to be sorted out and anything can happen but i always await the State of the League by Garber.

5. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is it still possible the 2014 chance at Citi Field ?

6. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ive given up ruling anything out at this point. Again, it looks again like things are headed down the right path but in 4 months it could all fall apart again...just like it has twice already.

So to answer your question..i dont honestly know anymore. It changes like the weather.

7. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And of course - this comes out

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303640804577491090757743910.html

for those that remember me saying i heard a rumor - that rumor was that the Cosmos would be in Queens and that the Pier 40 site would be for Redbull - well this article states that Queens is VERY REALISTIC and in fact, seems to have more traction than Pier 40.

Already has the support of state and local officials and of course would face challenges -

This excites me again - this to me is more realistic than Pier 40 and also does not hurt Redbull - i think Pier 40 could possibly have a negative effect on them.

Unak78 repped this.
  8. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is still some work to be done obviously but seeing this has local and state backing already is HUGE. Keeping em crossed that this dont fall apart again lol

9. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Finally some real news! Yeah, everything in the article seemed very optimistic and realistic. Very happy to see this as this was posted on the USOC thread when I first read it. I found another article on it from Big Apple:

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/leagues/mls2.php?article_id=30667

One of the more encouraging aspects is that it's a piece of property that doesn't have as much dispute over it's potential use as Pier 40. This seems a piece of property that can be developed rather quickly, though maybe not as scenic as the pier. Obviously private financing should look very good to the public, parking and traffic may be the only holdups here.

Interesting that you noted that the real rumor involved RBNY to Pier 40 since, once again, it seems crazy that they would pack up and leave just years after building that big ass stadium, but I guess money is just a number to Red Bull.

10. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hope that the capacity will be at least 35.000.

11. CapPixel

CapPixel Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Vicenza
    Club:
    Vicenza Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    no, the best would be a smaller stadium with expansion in mind

12. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with this

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/leagues/mls2.php?article_id=30667

Mike Lewis seems to think this can be build in a year or two

"Construction of a stadium could be completed in one to two years, although it needs approval by the New York City Council and the State Legislature."

13. pichichi2010

pichichi2010 Member+

Oct 24, 2010
    In your nets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is a genious piece of negotiating by the Don. If anything, this is showing the folks from Pier 40 that they are not the only game in town, make them pay a little more attention to MLS.

14. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could very well be negotiation but perhaps Pier 40 was the negotiation piece. Garber wanted Queens for a very very long time and given this has already gotten some state and local approvals for Flushing Meadows, maybe the Pier 40 was pushing Queens to move a bit.

15. pichichi2010

pichichi2010 Member+

Oct 24, 2010
    In your nets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either way playing both locations off each other can only be good for the league, it's basic economic supply and demand.

16. Zxcv

Zxcv Member+

Feb 22, 2012
    As a non native of ny, which of those is the better location for the league?

17. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would say Queens because it is easier access to the 7 million people on Long Island (Queens, BK and Nassau and Suffolk) while at the same time not being close enough to RBA to have a negative impact on their fanbase.

To me (PERSONALLY) Pier 40 was too close to RBA and could have hurt their fanbase and potential fanbase and still kind of alienates the fans in Queens, BK and Long Island.

18. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow...never realized just how big that pool in the park was.

Fun fact: based on Google Maps scales, the diameter of Industry Pond is almost exactly the same as the diameter of RFK Stadium (the only current round MLS stadium, unless I've forgotten one).

19. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Pier 40 would be a far more prestigious location, but it never had more than a 1% possibility of completion. This is very, very different.

This is in a derelict portion of a grand public park, near public transit, in the most diverse county in the world. Moreover, its location is adjacent to Shea Stadium and the US Tennis Association's stadium, so there would be virtually no NIMBY issues (which are massive in NYC). It sounds like MLS has been greasing the wheels of the local politicians and they are, or will be, on board with minimal effort (eg. promise union labor, etc.).

Have a look at the site "B":
    http://goo.gl/maps/IZc3

One big problem they'll face, ironically, is that RBNY have been jerking around Harrison, NJ and refusing to pay their substantial tax bill. One would hope that they don't poison the well for a soccer stadium in the area. But it would be totally in character for RB to ******** things up.

As a DCU fan, it really pains me to see the league take the lead to get a stadium built for a non-existent ownership group while the most successful team in MLS history wastes away with no league support and little hope for a happy outcome.

Unak78, Bklyn Royals Fan and PCFC repped this.
  20. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're gonna end up seeing the Cosmos in Harrison and NYC FC in Queens.

21. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm interested in knowing where they'll find 8 acres of space to build a part to replace the land they're taking.

22. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pretty on-point post. Getting a stadium in downtown NYC would take MLS to another level. But it's definitely not going to happen.

And the point about Harrison F-ing up the political process is a serious concern. Harrison got screwed, not only by RBNY btw - other investors as well, and if they use that stadium as a model, Queens would likely bailout. Harrison-RBA tax failure has become national news.

I have to go out to Flushing Meadows in addition to my next Mets game. Need to see how long that walk to the stadium will be from the 7. Anyone have an estimate?

23. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might be right. Why else the cityfc.com web site if they were the Cosmos?

Perhaps the Cosmos brand is RBs comp for losing part of their territory. They sure need all the marketing support and gimmicks they can get, whereas the City team will not be dependent on a name gimmick. Probably better for the league if RB changed to Cosmos, they are the ones with deep problems. But I doubt RB will rebrand unless they can put the RB initials in it, or they sell majority interest in the team to save face about the re-branding. Btw, the team in Germany is technically not named for Red Bull, but something else with the initials RB - Rasen Ballsport Leipzig. However the logo is very much Red Bull.

24. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hope that. And forza NYC FC, of course.