Official: NYC Soccer Stadium

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by napolisoccer, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have read the last interview of Garber about the great chances of NYC to have a team in MLS and above all I have read about the question of the stadium.
    I think that if Wilpon this summer will present a plan of the new stadium in Queens, almost surely Garber the next November ( likely in the MLS final ) will choose NYC ( after St Louis ) as 18th for the MLS 2011.

1) Is it right my reasoning ?
    2) What are the real difficulties of Wilpon to build a soccer stadium near Citifield ?
    3) But above all, will be able Wilpon to present a plan by the next summer ?

2. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Wilpon and the new soccer stadium

I can say your reasoning is very right! It seems like it would make sense and I think 2011 would be the year.

Difficulties of a stadium are endless - that is going to be the most difficult part. Who is going to pay? Will there be public funding? Not to mention the area is about to get 5 new stadiums (Citi, Yankee, Meadowlands, Brooklyn Nets and the recently opened Prudential center). I think the stadium deal is going to be the tough part and I really think that is what they have been talking about. Wilpon is either interested or he isnt - its the stadium that is the challenge and if he really wants it, they will make it happen!

Citi Field is just about complete - so if they are going to present a plan, im sure it will be sometime this year

3. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

What will be the capacity of the new stadium ? I think that it should be at least 35.000. Whta is your opinion ?

4. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

not sure at all - i would hope about 25 - 30 k

5. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

NYC needs a capacity of 35k - 45k min if we are to host anything international that is worth while. If not the games will end up going to Giants Stadium again.

6. tommymcb

tommymcb Member

Feb 14, 2007
    CT

As a fan, I hope they have 80,000 so I can walk up anytime I want to get tickets. If I was Wilpon, I would make it 25,000 and make it a tough ticket. Actually, if I was Wilpon, I wouldn't build a stadium. I'd probably blow the money on booze and women.

7. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Line them up.

8. time_drifter

time_drifter Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Wharton
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Consider it done. Ladies to the left, bottles to the right. Take your pick.

9. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Why any journalist asks to Wilpon or to managers of the Mets if it is true that there is a will to build a soccer stadium in Queens ?

10. CornellBigRed

CornellBigRed Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Rye Brook, Westchester
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

willie randolph wouldnt know anything about the possibility of a new stadium, why don't journalists ask Wilpon? I don't know probably most arent that interested and/or arent writing a story about it.

11. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

With regards to the media we really need to evangelize a major sports writer! This way we can get the media to work on our side! Any thoughts about who might be ready willing and able?

12. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football

Again all speculation

I have not heard of a stadium where that dump shea sits at... all i keep hearing is about the concert in the fall with the supposed jersey trash washed up rocker the BOSS...then the tearing down ceremony and thats it...

I'm furious all bullshit from garber.....

13. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I don't understand a thing : if it so hard to build a soccer stadium in NYC, because Wilpon doesn't change the glorious Shea Stadium in a 30/35.000 stadium for soccer ?
    Can we to do a petition to save the Shea Stadium and to use it for soccer ( I think that these are 2 positive things in the same moment ) ?

14. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I had thought about this before but when I went to see the actual dimensions of the stadium Shea and Citifield are just TOOO close together. Unless they can somehow incorporate the two stadiums into one.

15. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How dare you call my home away from home a dump..well maybe..but its MY fecking dump..and I'll shed a tear when its gone..sneaking over the fence for Jets games..Bum rushing the gates for Mets playoffs games..Smoking herb in the upper deck..ahhhhhhh the memories :D

16. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Shea is going to be the parking lot for Citi field

17. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I have heard that likely the Borough Boys will be at Shea Stadium during a Mets game this summer. I think that this will be the most important moment for BB and above all for our hopes to put NYCFC in MLS soon ( 2011 ).
    In fact after the meeting with mayor players and Garber, I think that will be very important to have a contact ( even indirect ) also with Wilpon and I hope that in that circumstance Wilpon will realize that a great number of soccer fans WANTS and DESERVES a NYC soccer team and a sss in QUEENS.

18. Ultravolta

Ultravolta New Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Dancefloor

In all due respect, I think you have to rethink what's important and what's marginal! Of course the Borough Boys should stomp th f^^k up at Shea to make themselves heard - but to hype it up to the moment of truth is undermining the point to make! Continuous efforts are needed to establish this sound supporter base! GO BORRO!:)

19. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is to close to Citifield and has to be demolished. There is no way a petition would save the stadium for soccer. And plus Shea would be horrible for soccer.

20. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

After the great new about the meeting between BB and Wilpon, I now wait that the owner of the Mets will present a sss plan this summer and if this will happen, we can say almost to 100% that the 18th team in MLS in 2011 will be the New York City Football Club.

Forza Wilpon, presents a sss plan soon !!!!!

21. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Time will tell my man!

22. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY

A couple of things need to be said here.

1. What we have discussed is not "rumor". Everything that Nick has written on the topic on big soccer, and in the borough boys newsletter, comes straight from the source. Wilpon, city officials, etc.

2. There will be press coverage, it's being carefully managed. I promise you that you will read about this in the soccer press and major ny dailies by the end of august.

3. It is not down to Don Garber to make this happen. He wants it and if everything else falls into place, it will happen. As Nick points out, it is getting the approval of the city (and we have the right people on our side), and getting the city to help out with an aspect of the project, namely to do with parking and a few other infrastructure issues. We know details on this, but it really should be discussed by Wilpon's organization publicly, not us.

23. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Excuse me , Metrogo. Did wish you to tell " by the end of August or by the end of July " ?

24. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY

August. And one more thing, the stadium will likely not be more than 30,000 seats. Think home depot center. maybe a couple thousand more.

25. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I am sure that is necessary a stadium of at least 35.000 seats. I hope that also for this aspect the Borough Boys will have a imporant part.
    I immagine games like NYCFC-Galaxy, NYCFC-Red Bulls, NYCFC-DC United, NYCFC-Chicago Fire, NYCFC-Philly, but also the future games of Libertadores and even the friendly between Colombia-Ecuador, Argentina-Usa, Mexico-USA etc......