Official North Queensland Fury FC Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by el-capitano, Sep 15, 2008.

1. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  2. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    NQ Fury earns an A+ on pre-season report card
    ANTONY STEWART | July 19th, 2010

STRUCTURE, poise, precision and a touch of flamboyance - welcome to the North Queensland Fury 2010/11.

OK, so it's only game four of the pre-season and they are yet to battle an A-League opponent, but the Fury showed enough in thrashing Hekari United that they have the quality to prove a handful in the upcoming season. It is probably also worth noting that FIFA Club World Cup qualifiers Hekari are no mugs, despite the 4-1 scoreline.

From the rubble of near club collapse three months ago, the Townsville-based club appears to have found some gems.

With Eric Akoto and Mark Hughes standing firm at the back, Chris Grossman and Jason Spagnuolo linking beautifully on the left and Chris Payne and Dyron Daal doing their thing up front, the 1300-strong crowd at Brolga Park liked what they saw.

And that's not even touching on the class and instinct Gareth Edds, Simon Storey and Isaka Cernak showed in the midfield.

But what stood out most was the structure and shape coach Franz Straka has brought to the outfit.

At the risk of going off too early, gone were the shaky, heart-in-the-mouth moments when the attack reached the Fury's goalmouth, while the patience in the build up to an attacking raid was just as promising.

"Franz has come in and brought in a few different ideas and it's very, very structured this year," Grossman said.

"Every player knows what their job to do is and every player is really fighting for each other, which is bringing a good mentality to the squad this year and hopefully it'll bring a finals spot or a good finish."

Grossman is one of eight players still remaining from last season's Fury squad.

Asked why Straka, a highly respected coach and former World Cup player, had made such an impact in such a short amount of time, the versatile 23-year-old midfielder replied: "I think he commands a lot of respect.

"Where he's been, he's got a good track record and he brings a lot of respect and he expects a lot back, so the players are prepared to work for him," Grossman continued.

"Everyone's prepared to dig for themselves and we know we've got a good shot this year to make better than what we did last year, so we're all out to prove a point."

Ahead of Sunday's maiden A-League trial against Gold Coast United, the good news is the Fury should get even stronger.

The win against Hekari was achieved without Socceroos striker David Williams, inspirational midfielder Ufuk Talay or German defender Andre Kilian, while an international striker is just days away from being announced.

North Queensland FC led 1-nil at halftime courtesy of the first of a Chris Payne double and they were genuinely forced to fight for that lead against a PNG team boasting plenty of flair and fancy footwork.

But when Payne banged in his double soon after the resumption thanks to a superb ball from Cernak, the class of the Fury shone through as Daal and NQ product Casey put the visitors to the sword.

Straka, who has coached the Czech national team, was satisfied with the result, but is also a perfectionist.

While his troops looked good, he expects further improvement in the final two hit-outs before the August 6 kick-off.

"It was a good taste for us, they're a good team and at the beginning they were very fast it's what we need," Straka said.

"It is very important we play in our shape system (but) we have our good fazes and our bad fazes don't ask me about the fazes but we will talk about the points, what we did well and what we didn't."NQ FURY 4 (Payne 2, Daal, Casey) d HEKARI UNITED 1 (Jack) at Brolga Park.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2010/07/19/155411_sport.html

Fury have been going pretty well in their pre season warm up matches. 7-0 against Whitsunday Miners, 5-2 over the FNQ Bulls & 4-1 over Hekari United over the weekend. Some of the young guys are really impressing, Panny Nikas looks to be an excellent player & Jack Hingert has been looking pretty good too. Isaka Cernak is another impressive player, Chris Payne got a brace in each of the 2 matches i saw. I'm liking the way they've gone with alot of youth in the side.

3. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It's nice that they're kicking New Guinean and QSL sides to the kerb but isn't that what they should be doing anyway?

4. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    They weren't last year.... They actually look alot more structured from what i've seen so far. The match against Whitsunday could have easily been 12 or 13-0 but for some poor finishing. Hopefully it's just a bit of rust from the off season. Hekari United are actually going to be Oceania's representative at the CWC. lol

5. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You mean technical, tactical Euro coaching is better than 'onest Fergie's beef'n'potatos gedditupem stylings?

6. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Haha for sure. He hasn't even had alot of time to work with them yet, so you would think that they will gel more as time goes on.

7. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Will be interesting when we play them - whose Czech coach is better? :D

8. Capt. Socceroo

May 7, 2001
    Adelaide, Australia
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    BwaaHaha so f**king true QFT!! screw marquee(some barely worthy of the title) players, lets get some more quality coaching into the HAL!

9. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Can't wait to Czech it out! :p

10. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Boooooo, hisssss :p

11. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Lol.

Great resolve shown by the Fury last night. That match was easily the best of the round so far. And what a great crowd, hopefully they keep on turning up week in week out.

12. artml

artml Member

Liverpool FC
    Ukraine
    Jul 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A very good start of the season for the Furries so far. Hardly-fought point in Perth last week and now they beat Sydney at home.

Dudes, I'm impressed.

13. Capt. Socceroo

May 7, 2001
    Adelaide, Australia
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Sorry mate 5,100 is not a great crowd, it is NSL standard. I hope the Fury continue to play well and they can build their home support up towards last season League average of 9,000. Unless the lease conditions at DFS are unbelievably good, NQF can't possibly be making money on so small a crowd.

To be fair those that were there sounded pretty good and a 2-1 win will keep them happy. In our league we seem to have a serious problem with home teams failing to perform well in front of their own supporters, this has got to have affected crowds in the past.

14. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Wezza was talking about the Perth crowd; the post was over a week ago.

15. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well played NQF, put us under shedloads of pressure and your forward line is monstrous. Keep this up and you'll be in the playoffs for sure.

16. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Their goals were definitely really good moments of the game. I'm glad to see them doing well; for the amount of people claiming that North Queensland have another team of nobodies, I'm proud to admit I was giving all of them the ol' "Wait and see" speech.

Go me!

17. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You should really check the date of my post before you comment. Lol The crowd was disappointing. I'm hoping the crowds will pick up, if they keep perfoming this way, i'm sure they will.

Right on!

18. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    What a bizarre match today! Fury showed great character to get a point out of that. But I have to say, that ref had a shocker!

19. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I reckon the ref was actually right with most, if not all of the decisions.

20. Capt. Socceroo

May 7, 2001
    Adelaide, Australia
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I agree unfortunately for the tards(if you are a tard-fan), they are used to getting their own way, primarily thanks to their organic on-field ref, Muscrat, so a new guy comes in without any preconceived ideas/notions regarding reputations or otherwise and what do you know, he refs it as he sees it & the tards cry blue murder! I hope we get that ref for the AUFC v MV game!

21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/shortsighted-ffa-should-give-fury-a-chance-20100928-15vue.html

22. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    North Queensland have been brilliant lately and I would hate to see them - and everyone involved - leave the A-League. They actually have a good community base and the people going through the turnstiles are the same people each week. They all wear green (or beige jackets) and it looks great.

Having said that, I would be quite happy to welcome Osama Malik back to Adelaide United if the club had to fold.

23. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    So far- we've had one club fold- the sorry Knights, but I can see a future for this club, if they stick at it, for the short term (by they I mean the FFA).

Its not a good look both professionally and perceptially for the A-League to allow clubs to go under so easily.

24. Out of curiosity what is the break even point for the Fury? I read it was 12,000 in the context of the Newcastle Jets recently. If it's similar to that for all of the teams in the league, an A League franchise probably isn't even close to being viable in a city of 180,000 people at the moment. As an outsider looking in I think the question should really be why the powers that be at your national association ever thought it could work and why they ever pushed for expansion in the first place rather than having a prolonged period of consolidation based on 8 teams? Sadly it looks like the leadership you have is on a par with what we had in Canada 20 years ago when the original Canadian Soccer League was launched.

25. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'd be pretty ********ing disappointed if the Fury are pushed out before the Gold Coast. For ********'s sake this would be a stupid decision.