NSR: Official Music Thread (What Are You Listening To?) Vol. 2

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Jiggly_333, Jun 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I saw Steve Ignorant of Crass perform at Bottom Lounge a couple of years ago. Best concert I saw that year. It was brilliant.

Never did I think I would ever get a chance to see any manifestation of Crass live. Don't care that it was 30+ years too late.

Edit, I just checked and it was over 5 years ago. Shit, I am old.

Jdgedwill and bunge repped this.
  2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    By the way, I don't know if anyone is into pro audio gear here but those TRex live shows were with the multiple stage amps while Cpt. Bfhrt's amps seem mic'd. The conversion from the full range stage amps to the separates w/mixers took place among the top touring acts of the era (Grateful Dead, The Who, Led Zeppelin) around 1972.

This is Deep Purple from 1972, with a stack of Marshall stacks (a twin 4-speaker combo amp, normally with 100 watts of power --- Blackmore had twin Marshall Majors with 200 watts ... DP had about 1,500 watts total, enough to cause an ear bleed to the several front rows)

This is from April, 9th, 1974 ... the on-stage speakers are used only as foldback (for the musicians to hear themselves) ... otherwise, there was a five story stack of speakers, powered by 54,000 watts put together by the Tycobrahe company, with SPL of 105 a mile away.

Article on the PA system - http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/history_files_tycobrahe_sound_company_and_the_california_jam/

Jiggly_333, eiki and seamuslush repped this.
  3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Slightly off-off-off-topic. (if anyone is interested)

The Public Adress systems (hence known as a PA) basically had two different traditional setups. One was for movie theaters (aka, the talkies) developed in the late-1920/s1930's. Those usually involved large (like room size large) folded horn speaker systems. They were very efficient, which they needed to be for the low powered tube amps of the era. The other "live performance" PA system developed from the post-war II guitar amps, which also had a mic input. First reasonably priced amps and guitars are generally credited to Fender and its late-1940's Tweed series combos with two 10" Jensen drivers and about 18 watts of power and, naturally, its Telecaster (aka "Tele") and Stratocaster (aka "Strat") guitars. 18 watts was more than sufficient for studios and medium size clubs. That's what made the rock-n-roll sound, though the music type itself goes back to the 1930's. In 1955, Fender released a "Bassmaster" (as in musical sound, not in fish) due to the demand from the bass player for something louder (a lower frequency signal requires more power). BM had 50w of power and four 15" drivers and also served as an inspiration for the Marshall stack (inspiration is a misnomer ... Marshall basically ripped off Fender, albeit with the English tubes and drivers because the American made were a lot more expensive). Because the stages and the audiences were getting bigger and bigger, the next big move was the introduction of multiple amplifiers producing the same sound. That could have been done several ways - by running a splitter from a guitar to two amps; by daisy-chaining amps together, aka the Jimi Hendrix method; or by using a mixer with several inputs and outputs. This went on as late as 1972.

The change to a new PA design was forced by an accident. A few months earlier, Grateful Dead was touring Canada, with the band getting arrested for possession (mostly controlled substances, with a mix of underage girls). The band lawyers got them out of Canadian jail on bail but, as the condition for future court appearance, the Canadian law enforcement kept the group's then state-of-the-art PA. Since the band was touring non-stop, they needed to buy a new system pronto. And here's a fate turned up just in time. With a St. Louis date coming up, someone informed Garcia,Weir, et al, about a young hobbyist who put together a system for a St. Louis theater. The gentleman's name was Robert "Bob" Heil and he has been building - and often tearing down - all sorts of electronic gizmos since an early age. Heil was a big admirer of Paul Klipsch, an engineer behind the Klipschhorn. Bob's systems were then much closer to the traditional movie theater multiple driver design than to the roll&load of the era. Dead listened to the system and apparently were sufficiently impressed to make an immediate order. Then the Who and Led Zeppelin heard about it and decided that it was far superior to what they were using as well and contracted Heil to build their PA's ASAP. The stack of Marshall stacks basically became obsolete overnight, although some heavy metal bands like Judas Priest, AC/DC and Pantera kept half the stage still occupied by the Marshalls, albeit often purely as furniture.

eiki repped this.
  4. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Fvck Nimrod

xtomx, bunge and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  5. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Exactly.

xtomx repped this.
  6. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You had me until Public Address systems.

Jiggly_333 and lethargytartare repped this.
  7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Sorry. I am a bit into gear talk too. It's all intertwined. In fairness, I used to be in the audio electronics a while back.

Move long.

Pablo Chicago repped this.
  8. Ke1n

Ke1n Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dedicating this one to your 2016 Chicago Fire

Jdgedwill, eiki, GHjelm and 3 others repped this.
  9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No, really? We could not have guessed. ;)

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  10. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long time no post. A tribute to my dying father going into hospice very very very soon.... I love you ol' man. This one's for you....

LIZZIE, eiki, Ke1n and 6 others repped this.
  11. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sorry to hear it.

12. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  13. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  14. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I post this before? Anyway it deserves a second

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  15. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always knew this as the sunday night football song until I saw her in concert the other week.

LIZZIE and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  16. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drunk shuffle. Haven't heard this in forever. Why can't the local cigarette store sell weed?

17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Because we are not in Colorado and Bruce the douche Rauner is Governor.

lethargytartare and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  18. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  19. seamuslush

seamuslush Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Official song of the 2016 Chicago Fire Playoff push!

loonixxx, sportscrazed2 and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  20. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While we're at it you see Hauptman,Pauno,NRod, and Don Walsh carpooling run

loonixxx, seamuslush and bunge repped this.
  21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Belorussian singer Petr Efimov (and a State Symphony Orchestra) with the Deep Purple classic "Child in Time" (In English)

22. Jdgedwill

Jdgedwill Member+

Jun 15, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do that all the time, I'll say something was a couple years ago and it will be like 96'. Time just flies 3x as fast after 21 and 5x as fast after 30.

Hauptman gathers TAM in masses

Just like witches in black masses

xtomx and seamuslush repped this.
  23. Jdgedwill

Jdgedwill Member+

Jun 15, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nostalgic late night songs

24. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should have saved the whiskey for the fire game

25. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Continuation of my game thread celebration: