Official MLS Horn Banning petition

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by cliffkram, Sep 22, 2003.

1. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    Fans of MLS-

An online petition has been created that will be forwarded to Major League Soccer upon completion of this season, imploring them to ban what has been known as "Soccer Horns". I urge you, if you do not want these horns at the matches next year, please sign the petition which can be found at http://www.petitiononline.com/MLShorns/petition.html
    Let's put forth a solid effort and rid MLS of thse horns.

2. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Signed.

3. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    Another step to run off more fans.

All because of another petty personal annoyance to some narrow minded people.

I don't have a horn but the people who do enjoy them. They also give the league a different flavor from the European leagues.

When we don't have a league some day this kind of narrow minded BS will be without a doubt one of the reasons why.

5. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just like when we ran off the folks who thought the shootout was bitchin'?

6. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a fan of the horns myself, but banning horns could set a precendent for some sensetive nutjob to want to ban other noisemakers, plus a move like this would not foster any goodwill with those fans. Imagine if security harassed one of those kids with the horn and gave them crap, (like the security gives crap to the supporters clubs for standing, waving flags, or playing drums), those families would get a bad taste in their mouths, think MLS is a nazi league, and never come back.

In general, I am not for banning anything from the stadium that is benign. MLS atmosphere's are already lame as it is, we don't need rent-a-cops enforcing yet another dumb policy.

7. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Delivered.

8. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Good points. However, if they weren't sold at the stadium, not all that many people would bring their own, and things would get better.

9. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would we want to eliminate 90% of MLS's in-stadium merchandise sales?

10. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I'm sorry, and I'm not usually an ass like this...but this is the stupidest waste of time I've seen displayed for a long time. I mean, I too hate these horns, but as stated if you ban one noise making thing others may follow and that would be bad IMO. You see, people usually make petitions for good or noble causes. For example, the KC fans started a petition to get a new stadium built for the Wizards. Theres a noble cause.

Yet, you started a petition to ban horns from MLS stadiums. 1) MLS doesnt control security in all their stadiums. For example, Jackson County Missouri controls security for Arrowhead. So if MLS "banned" these horns, they'd still have to convince the county to enforce this stupid f-ing idea. 2) Its a stupid f-ing idea. 3) I don't really think that many people, most importantly the league, gives a rats ass.

Get a clue, sheesh. There's bigger fish to fry than the damn horns. I actually laughed when reading the petition and I imagine that anyone with MLS would as well. "aurally invasive" is great! :D

11. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    at the stadium....

IMO A stadium is supposed to be loud, happening, full of energy, even when your team is loosing, tied, and Definatly noisy when your team is making a blow-out of the afternoon....

then again, that's my idea of a game, if you want to see a sterile soccer game atmosphere, maybe you should watch more golf.

just my opinion

12. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Whatever happened to good old lung power?

Voices please.

13. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    What a waste of time. It isn't my cup of tea, but if it is somebody elses who cares.

If you want to make a petition, make a petition to disclose the salary and raise the salary cap.

14. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Here's the thing: you have to draw the line somewhere on noisemakers in stadiums. Settting off firecrackers might be somebody else's cup of tea, too, but they aren't allowed. That's why the slippery slope argument with regard to the horns doesn't fly with me. We already ban other things that are obnoxious. Banning horns wouldn't be some radical step. A substantial number of people really, really, really, really hate the horns. They make games almost un-listenable on TV. They drown out virtually everything else in the stadium. Simply put: they're a nuisance.

15. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Horns sound good on TV, in my opinion. They constantly make you aware there is an active crowd there.

To drown out the horns: Bring more people.

Kevin D.

16. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    omg get over it. If you're more worried about noise than the game you should stay home.

17. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Mmm...non-sequitors...

18. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    Horns are a cheap substitute for good noise. Signed.

booo horns booo!
    /k

19. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the horns.

I mean, they're not my pick of the litter, but they're better than kids' squealing like a bunch of PTHers.

I'd prefer a 1000 strong section of Supporters chanting the whole game, but I'll take what I can get.

20. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Because those horns are obnoxious sounding MF'ers that positively annoy the living sheet out of me. I would love nothing more than to be forever spared their noise.

21. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    I'm @ home and those F'n noisy horns drive me batty! I turn the volume down and watch in silence rather than listen to that din...

22. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there was a poll about whether to ban the horn or not. I thought 80-90% people would be for it. But as the poll indicated, only 50-60% of the people were For banning to horn. The poll is in bigsoccer somewhere, in the last month or so. Anyway, I don't think banning to horn is such a good idea.

How about an unofficial Stop Banning the Horn Petition? yes, it sounds just as ridiculous as banning the horns petition. Well, good luck with your cause. i prefer no horns, but I don't want MLS to take away something that kids enjoy. Thus I am against this idea.

23. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Then you are a glutton for punishment.

24. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Those who are for the horns are either brand new fans, or fucking insane. This weekend pushed me over the edge. EVERY stadium had that infernal sound for the ENTIRE game. It's not even good atmosphere, it's just a constant irritating droning. I wouldn't mind if it was at 5 minute intervals or so, but all the time? Sweet Christ, the ATF should've used those things at Waco. I doubt the Branch-Davidians would've lasted 3 hours.

UP THE PETITION!!!!!!!!

25. Isisbud

Isisbud New Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Encinitas
    Thanks for the scientific analysis.

A substantial number of people really, really, really, really, really hate the horn-haters.