Official Melbourne Victory Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by RED STRIPE MAGIC, Mar 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DandyMick

DandyMick New Member

Jun 7, 2007
    There's a rumour going round we are close to signing Michael Thwaite from Wisla Krakow. If we can pinch this fella, i'd be happy to see the back of Ljubo.

On todays game, we must get a point at least. I don't know if you guys have seen the table, but after the weekends results we are currently sixth.

2. RED STRIPE MAGIC

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    i feel that today we must win because if we just draW today after what 11 games we only have 3 wins on the borad.... we are going into the game maybe better then ccm. the reason i say this is because that haven't been very good in the last 5 gaMES they have played. i think they have only managed one win in five so hopefully we can come away with a win and be equal top position...

3. msk06

msk06 New Member

Oct 1, 2007
    Australia
    What happened?! It all was going so well (in the second half) untill the last 10 min, we fell to pieces. There is not much that can be said.

Why would the boss take off Archie and Hernandez, our two most influential players in the match, in the last 15 minutes of the game? They may have been tired but they were still able to hold the ball up front, there was actually a routine and rythm about our play. Subbing them off completely unsettled things and our defence paid the price.

The lack of dicipline on our behalf is an issue that needs settling right away.

No more excuses. These continual bad results and overall play have been blanketed by excuses and no one is seeing the big picture; we may be defending champions but that means nothing now, it's just ink on paper.

We better start performing and to do that I believe that some sort of action needs to be taken, whether it's the players or the coach because they all need to lift thier game.

Let the turning point be now. We have more of an all round quality and depth than last year as well as championship winning experience. There is no doubt that we can play football that will win us the A-League and allow us to HIT ASIA HARD.

But if we don't take action we are going to loose to Sydney next week, we are not going to make the finals and we are going to be embarassed in the ACL.

4. DandyMick

DandyMick New Member

Jun 7, 2007
    I agree with much of what you say, but I don't believe we will win this week. Our defence is, for lack of a better word, rooted. No Vargas, Piorkowski, Leijer (yes, I haven't let him go yet), Panta, Ryall, or Keenan. Defence will probably line up as Kemp, Pace (impressive, though only in his second match), Ljubo (athough he's no certainty), and Broxham. Broxham is missing with the Olyroos for 3 days and Ljubo is an outcast and won't have the incentive of working for his mates.

I hope Melbourne will pull something out of it's bag of tricks and get us a result, but the cards continue deal us a raw hand.

5. RED STRIPE MAGIC

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    melbourne victory are going to need a 12th man to line up for them this week. that 12man is us so i want to see 50,000 people there this week scraming there ass off. however i cant make it because i am going to the wrestling at rod laver. i have tickets which i bought 3 or 4 mionths ago. otherwise i would of went...

6. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    WWE over the Victory, what is that :D

If it where TNA over the Victory i'd understand, but WWE :eek:

7. RED STRIPE MAGIC

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    when i bought the tickets i wasn't thinking about the melbourne victory at the time. i know i should have. i found out a couple of weeks back who melbourne was playing and the date i was hoping they where going to play a friday night or sunday but it wasn't to be..... :(

8. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And speaking of taste, Cesc_MVFC, when I think of Pace, I think of...
    [​IMG]
    ...New York City. For some odd reason.

Apologies, gentlemen. It's a Yank joke. ;)

9. DandyMick

DandyMick New Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Still applicable though. Looks like it could give you the runs.:D

10. RED STRIPE MAGIC

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    in my dream team i had to get rid of vargas which is annoying because he was doing great for me. it was so hard to pick someone else even from other teams. in the end i ended up choosing Pace. he looked good last week and was a very cheap pick up at 5.5. vargas cost cost me 8.0 at the start of the year. also i chose rude or what ever his name is from sydney because i had another injury from boogard who came off during the match last week. i'm hoping i can get back vargas and boogard when thery are back because they where great pick ups.

11. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    I wish Merrick would give Kaz a start, and given your short of defenders, even start him at Left Wing Back or something!

He's Australia's best young talent, and people carry on about Burns and co now, rightly so. So give Kaz a chance!! More than that, give him multiple chances!!

12. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Its frustrating that Kaz hasnt been given more of an oppurtunity. When he was playing in the pre season games he did pretty well and even in his limited time during the season. Considering how we've been breaking down in the final third i think theres definetely room for him to start. I'd like to see him in the hole behind the strikers, with Hernandez and Brebner centre midfield and Muscat centre back. Broxham would be benched or right wing back. Caceres is in the same boat as Kaz. Maybe give him a go on the right instead of Kemp.

13. RED STRIPE MAGIC

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    i feel foer the coach because alot of people want kaz to play right, but we have only won 3 games so far this season and merick is trying to pick the best players to actually win the game..

the bigest problem atr the moment or in the last 3 weeks has been our lack of defenders not lack of attacking players.

however i do feel for kaz because he isen't getting a game and his the future of the sport for this country and love a briszlen and pretty much the same age as kaz has been given more chances then kaz

14. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Despite all the problems we've had putting together a defence with injuries and suspensions i reckon its still held up relatively strongly regardless of whos been playing. I think our bigger problem has been breaking down the oppositions defence in our final third. This is where we've lost points. Allsopps generally poor form hasnt helped but i think Patafta has something to offer in attack and will help us break down defences. I think someone else noted on the thread that at times Merrick has used three defensive midfielders which is just negative. Theres definetely room for Patafta to start.

15. DandyMick

DandyMick New Member

Jun 7, 2007
    I like your style. It was very apparent watching the replay of the SFC match that we needed someone behind the strikers. I like Hernandez as a player, but he was meant to replace Fred behind the strikers, and it hasn't worked. He is a great midfielder, and we should leave him there. Kaz behind the strikers is an option worth pursuing.

I still can't figure out why Archie hasn't been tried behind a Caceres/Allsopp striking combination. Archie's work-rate is first class, and he has the speed and creativity to cause some real damage on the counter.

Either way, Merrick has to realise we need someone with pace to play in the hole.

16. tfoz

tfoz Member

Jun 3, 2005
    If Merrick was choosing the best players from the start, Kaz should've been starting in front of Hernadez earlier in the season.

17. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Indeed guys! I like DandyMick's idea aswell. Especially in light of the following!

http://www.theworldgame.com.au/home/index.php?pid=st&cid=99840

With Muscat being out the midfield is weakened. The article suggests Melbourne's midfield hasn't been as productive this season and I guess we can all see by the results.

Shift Hernandez back, I'm sure he can do a job there and get Kaz in there, behind the strikers. Ok the midfield may not be as strong defensively, but it will be much stronger and more creative, in attack!

This season is a real test for Merrick. His stature grew greatly thanks to last season. But we're starting to see that Merrick can give alot of thanks for last season's success to 'Fred,' aswell as the rest of his team, his move of Muscat to Midfield etc...

This season he adapted his squad, but has had some internal difficulties, in player management. He also has had to replace a gaping hole with the departure of Fred. The result of that has been mixed results, though Hernandez certainly does offer something. It has also meant fierce competition in Fred's old position, with Kaz and Leandro competing strongly to challenge Hernandez.

So things certainly are not quite as simple or straight forward this season. It's a true test of Merrick's ability to man manage and how to best utilise the talent at his disposal. And let's face it, he may've lost Fred, but Melbourne still has decent talent for that position and for the other positions.

Will be interesting to see where Melbourne end up. But I think, despite last season, the jury is still out as to how much quality Merrick has.

18. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,,22762421-5000940,00.html?from=public_rss

Just another article, re-inforcing that goals are needed, quoting from Merrick himself.

One great way to do that is what we've mentioned, to change in more attacking midfielders.

With Broxham out also, I see no reason why Merrick cannot start or give major game time, to Patafta.

The squad's midfield is short of some starts and lacks attacking falir and potency. Kaz can offer that, it's that simple.

19. RED STRIPE MAGIC

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    we will see what happens tonite

i wouldn't mind seeing a midfeld off

love - kaz - Hernandez - cercers

now this is a midfeld, f u c k subs... games are there to be won from the start not in the last 5 or 10 minutes end of the game. there is speed, alot more skill with these for. why cant merrick have these for starting all together link up with archie and allopp. and move muscat back to defence. i not saying his shit but we need younger and quicker players in the midfeld

20. RED STRIPE MAGIC

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    thats what i want to see but i know it will never happen.

21. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    lol seems we're all in agreement, in that we'd like Kaz to have a start, atleast :) .

It just seems logical to me, to start him. Especially as Melbourne want more goals and their Midfield is missing a couple players.

22. DandyMick

DandyMick New Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Well, we lost again. King Allflopp butchered our best three chances, adding weight to the theory he's more athlete than footballer. Some of the sitters he has missed this season (shaking my head). Good to see Caceres play, and play well. He's surely earn't a starting berth for next game.

23. RED STRIPE MAGIC

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    he really annoys right from round 1 of this season. Alllopp right in front of goals 100 times and always goals over the bar. how hard is it to aim lower at least aim for the goals keeper. you have a better chance of it going it if you aim at the goal keeper then aim high and it going over the bar at least the goals keep will have a chance of stuffing it up. his just a night mare always wasteing oppertunies which do not alway come. esp this season.

Hernandez wasn't too bad and hit the post from a free kick. but it wasn't anybodies night tonight.. it gives me the shits when a young gun like kruse can just come in and reck apart some of our good players. and make them feel like second rate players..

24. RED STRIPE MAGIC

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    our next 2 games are must win and even if we win them we still might not be in the top four :(

25. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Seems a few young players have been doing that this season. Version 3 of the A-League is the 'Reign of the Young Stars' or something :p . Sorry I'm pushing my Kaz agenda again, but Kaz IS a young star. He's at the very least, as highly rated as Kruse, Zullo and Burns.

The young guys around the the A-League this season have had the biggest impacts, it seems. Dam Merrick give the kid a break, surely it's time to start him?