Official: McKalla Stadium News and Updates

Discussion in 'Austin FC' started by MjrGrubert, Dec 5, 2018.

1. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 MjrGrubert, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Shoutout to Wingman2468 for bringing this to our attention in the locked thread.
    https://www.caaicon.com/portfolio/austin-fc-stadium

The design has been worked on for months. changes have been made, site plans produced, project managers chosen, structural, mechanical, civil, electrical, and acoustical engineers contracted. The programming (step-by-step construction planning) has already begun. I can say with 95% certainty that what you see in the picture will be what is produced. They have 2 years.

antnee7898, Jay34 and wingman2468 repped this.
  2. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    #2 wingman2468, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Because its been a while, A reminder of what the entire site plan looks like. their will be a future affordable housing location (outlined in red), with a parking garage behind it to account for lost parking. The area outlined in green is the possible rail station/plaza.

A few people (from columbus) argue the affordable housing will take away 40% of the parkland and that the $200 million is for the stadium, affordable housing, train station and the training facility (Not accurate). A refresher is always nice before you want to start comparing pricetags between the two deals, which will happen often in the next few days. [​IMG]https://ibb.co/m9rg4nQ

3. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The original budget for a stadium at McKalla was $187 mil plus a 13 mil contingency reserve so up to 200 mil. A training facility would be in addition at another site. Precourt refused to pay for the rail station though he got haggled into a partial contribution. It's not clear yet who is paying for the affordable housing.

I'd guess there are tax credits available to offset some of the cost if privately funded?

4. Jay34

Jay34 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Aug 26, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Inline image from wingman2468's post:

[​IMG]

5. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I thought the most recent proposal had affordable housing onsite, near the red marking?

6. Jay34

Jay34 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Aug 26, 2018
    Austin, TX
    [​IMG]

7. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    That's the one. I wasn't sure if there was any significance to the red marking on the other slide.

8. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
  9. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ScootiePippin repped this.
  10. MjrGrubert

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 MjrGrubert, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    I wonder if the cost of the stadium is up to $225m which makes sense with all the construction and attendant inflation going on. Or it includes the other stuff. Other big projects recently announced are the new UT basketball arena and Apple development plus more mixed use and skyscrapers than you can count.

11. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    Its probably the inflation, mostly on steel. the Providence Park expansion got hit hard on steel prices too.

I dont think it will be much different, but they still need an agreement for a training complex. Thats what I was looking forward to hearing about.

12. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find this interesting: "Nearly $4.0 million in direct contributions to Foundation Communities to build affordable housing at McKalla Place or another mutually agreed upon location". There will be some that thought housing was going to be built on stadium property that will be surprised and pissed off about this. But it makes more sense to me that some other better location would be found to build something.

13. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Affordable housing at McKalla would be an environmental justice nightmare.

14. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    It will be on Mckalla place. 130 apartments, 60% MFI on one acre to be built in four years after stadium by a third party. the $4million is additional money to a local non profit affordable housing developer

15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I think the 225 mil figure is 200 mil for the stadium plus 25 mil in community benefits.

16. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    There is plenty more than $25 million in community benefits, so i dont think so. $200m was the estimated cost for the stadium before alot of material prices had increased.

17. MjrGrubert

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong again.
    Per Bils article in the AAS.
    "An initial cost estimate for the Austin stadium was closer to $200 million, but a news release Wednesday from PSV said the cost will be $225 million. Precourt said the increase is tied to efforts to provide additional shading for fans and enhance the game day experience."
    Surely some inflation in there too.

18. Jay34

Jay34 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Aug 26, 2018
    Austin, TX
    So basically: queso fountain

19. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    A queso mote isnt cheap!

20. ScootiePippin

ScootiePippin Red Card

Liverpool
    United States
    Dec 5, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    This seems right. I've never heard a figure lower than $215M coming from PSV in regards to the stadium. Also in the terms sheet today was talk of building a pedestrian bridge over the rail line to the stadium to make access to the breweries even easier.

21. loonytoony

loonytoony Member

Newcastle
    Sep 6, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Priorities are in order. Loonytoony approves.

wingman2468 repped this.
  22. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Wow, he's blown his contingency fund already? The original 200 mil was an estimated 187 for the stadium plus 13 in reserve for contingencies.

Has MLS officially approved the site at McKalla? Suttle was saying back in August there was a tight deadline for that but the lease says MLS has until March 1 of next year to approve it. Or is that for the stadium plans?

23. loonytoony

loonytoony Member

Newcastle
    Sep 6, 2018
    Austin, TX
    1. Hard to think anything has been "blown" when no money has been spent yet.. Even more so when the reason for added cost was specifically mentioned: "Precourt said the increase is tied to efforts to provide additional shading for fans and enhance the game day experience."

For what it's worth my day job includes heavy involvement with a lot of development/developers in Austin. Golden rule is things change over the course - whether that be scope of work, cost of labor, cost of material, whatever. It's usually nothing untoward. Best practice is not to overthink - go with the recent number and plan. In all likelihood it will change again between now and delivery.

2. Again, hard to think MLS hasn't approved when an official lease has been signed between MLS owner and City.

Good try at a concern troll though :) I still like you no matter what!

Jay34 repped this.
  24. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I certainly agree you need shade for the attendees during any summer daytime matches and probably for evening matches too. But it seems so obvious that it should already have been part of the plan.

So what is the March 1 MLS deadline for? Approval of the architectural plans or something like that? MLS approved the site in Columbus several months ago, from what Suttle was saying, I thought McKalla was already approved?

25. loonytoony

loonytoony Member

Newcastle
    Sep 6, 2018
    Austin, TX
    I can't speak to deadlines so won't speculate.

What can be said is there's been a lot of progress in Austin. It's happened very openly, very publicly, and includes all the major players. All of this centers around McKalla as the venue. It beggars belief that MLS would now come in and say we don't approve the site. Not bloody likely.

DonJuego repped this.