Official: McBride to Everton on 3-Month Loan

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by JG_Revs, Jan 2, 2003.

1. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
    http://www.evertonfc.com/match/fixtures/reports/report.asp?id=5601
    This is certainly the big news story of the day in England, getting top story status on most of the major news outlets. Very positive for MLS/US Soccer.

Here's the list of games McBride is likely to be eligible for:

Jan 12 Tottenham v Everton 14.00
    Jan 18 Everton v Sunderland 15.00
    Jan 28 Bolton v Everton 20.00
    Feb 1 Everton v Leeds 15.00
    Feb 8 Charlton v Everton 15.00
    Feb 22 Everton v Southampton 12.30
    Mar 1 Middlesbrough v Everton 15.00
    Mar 15 Everton v West Ham 15.00
    Mar 23 Arsenal v Everton

Excluding the final game versus Arsenal, that fixture list isn't particularly challenging. This is going to be very interesting to follow.

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm happy for Brian. I hope he enjoys his time there and lights it up.

4. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stay healthy. Score some goals. See some sights.

5. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice of MLS to allow him to do this.

6. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Well deserved. I hope that he is successful.

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McBride went to SLU, but he's a Chicago-area native. Sometimes things like that get lost in the translation. Two countries separated by a common language and all.

Hope he doesn't get hurt.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone send Segroves an Everton shirt.

9. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Hopefully, Brian will do well, but why is this viewed as "so positive"? Brian is basically replacing Joe-Max Moore's role from 00-01....Joe- Max was signed to a 3 year deal by the club (Brian only a 3 month loan), which sounds like a greater commitment by a club?....After the fantastic WC by the U.S., this is the "best" signing from that surprise showing?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for Brian, but this really isn't major progress for Yanks overseas...if it can be considered progress at all...

10. Baracuda

Baracuda Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Portland Oregon
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember McBride making a stink because MLS was preventing him from going to England. I'm sure this deal was in the works before he resigned with MLS. Since it is a loan, Everton is protected in the event that he is injured again. Seems to me he's on trial, and might stay if Everton want to keep him longer.

I wish him luck!

11. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Does anyone else smell something fishy?

How long ago was it that McBride signed his "contract extension to keep him in MLS the rest of his career"?

A week? 2?

And now he's going on loan... Hmm...

I may be cynical, but I think McBride told MLS that the only way he would re-sign is if they let him go on loan with a look to purchase if he suceeds...

The timing of all this just seems to coincidental to ignore.

But kudos to McBride for blackmailing MLS into not only giving him more money, but letting him go on loan as well.

12. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I don't think anyone viewed it as progress for yanks abroad. All that was said was that he is a good guy on our national team, he has been loyal to MLS, we are all happy he gets his shot to shine.

Hey who knows, he could knock in four or five goals over the loan. Then, he might be transfered. Who knows? He has a shot. That is what we are happy about. He deserves the shot.

With regards to progress, just like MLS, it is about slow steady progress. I remember not to long ago when Keller was the only starter in the EPL, Friedel was on the bench for the Pool, Earnie was in the Dutch 2nd, Sanneh was in MLS, Gibbs was in high school along with Dolo, Conner and Thorrington, Hahneman was in MLS, Walker was in the A-league, JOB was in the youth set up at Ajax, Kirovski was at Dortmund, Reyna was in Germany, JMM was in New England. We are making steps. Slowly but surely. We are getting there.

The reason why Yanks weren't off loaded into Europe at a better rate was two reasons....

1. General Anti-American Bias in Coaches - USMNT result at cup was more luck than skill, typical eurosnobbery.

2. $$$$$$$$$ Problems - MLS wants a good sum to take its rising stars out of the league. TV deals are falling apart. Some teams are considering closing shop. The transfer market fell to shambles last year.

McBride's move gives him a shot to earn a meal ticket in the EPL and to earn MLS a hefty transfer fee. I am not saying he will pull it off. Its just that he has a chance. Good for him. One small step for Yanks Abroad.

13. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the positive thing for MLS is that one of its players is considered to be at a level to help the fifth-placed team in the vaunted EPL. That's a sign of some respect as I don't think a yank has ever had a striking role like that for a top-placed team in either England, Italy or Spain.

Of course, Everton may just use McBride as training ground fodder.

14. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Everton doesn't want to spend any money (sign a permanent player)....there are not very many decent players available on short-loans....this plays heavily into McBrides favor..

I believe at the beginning of 00, Everton was near top of the table, and Moore was in the mix for a starting position...they fell soon after, but I don't see McBride loan as any new ground for US players...even strikers....

Hell, anyone remember if Wynalda's team (a decade ago) was near top of table during his "superstar" season....one year (I believe 91-92), Wynalda was one of the top strikers in the BL...certainly, that tops McBrides loan deal

15. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.

I agree with most of what you said except for this. I don't think that there is a widespread anti-American bias on the part of coaches. I think they can recognize quality and would like certain yanks on their teams. But these coaches also know that if a yank doesn't produce as expected, they(the coaches) will be crucified by the fans for leaving them in too long. Look what happened to Tony Sanneh a few months back. This kind of situation may be just enough to convince them to take a risk on another player- after all, there are plenty to chose from.

16. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

17. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Yeah Jri, but most Anglophiles don't follow the Bundesliga :)

I wouldn't expect Everton to purchase him since he's so old. It wouldn't surprise me however if he actually played some since they've had so many injuries.

Moyes knows McBride from his Preston North End days, as he was the coach there during McHead's loan spell.

18. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    uh yeah, sure-- there have been more impressive achievements by Americans abroad than getting a 3 month loan at Everton. What's your point?

I mean, do you really think Waldo's transfer from the mighty San Francisco Blackhawks topped the McBride loan deal (or the later transfer to Bochum)? In terms of opening doors, maybe, but what's good about the McBride deal is that it shows that, even in a time when teams aren't going to spend much money on players, an established Premiership team is willing to pay McBride a salary on the basis of a former loan spell and a good World Cup.

And that is a completely good thing.

19. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yep, and Moyes IIRC, was very impressed with McBride's tenure at Deepdale. In fact, if he doesn't come down with that blood clot, he may have been transferred to PNE.

20. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Actually, if you think about it, McBrides deal with MLS made sense all the way around. Especially if this loan deal was figured into it. McBride gets his chance in the EPL, yet has a good, long term MLS contract to fall back on. MLS gets a good reason to ask for a whole lot of money from Everton: 'Hey, the guys a star in our league, we just signed him for big money to a long term contract due to his star status. You're going to have to cough up big $$ to get him from us.' As their fallback, they have him signed until he retires.

Smart moves by the league and Brian if you ask me.

21. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we've got Kirovski starting at BC
    Keller Starting at TH
    Friedel Starting at Blackburn
    McBride going to Everton for 3 months
    Hahneman starting for Reading
    Lewis starting for PNE;
    Am I missing anyone?

22. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which major news outlets. Over here or over there?

Nothing fishy. If McBride stays over there, MLS gets paid. Win-Win.

23. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Reyna and Thorrington

24. lazaro

lazaro New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    usa
    I'm unclear how McBride has any possibility of playing. That Wayne Rooney kid, the biggest English prospect in years, can barely get playing time for Everton (Radzinkski and Campbell are the starters). McBride will warm the bench for 3 months, only playing if disaster hits.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lazaro...I don't think you've done a good job of keeping up with this story.