Official Malaga CF thread (R)

Discussion in 'Andalucia' started by Malaga CF fan, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta get my own team's love goin' on here, since the other three Andalucian Primera teams all have their own running threads now.

Post here for all things Malagueno!!!

2. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Have they done much in the offseason. It sounded like they were unloading Wanchope. Q

3. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the official altas y bajas from MARCA.

Signings (former team) - Morales (Osasuna), Salva (Valencia), Pablo Couñago (Ipswich Town), Antonio Hidalgo (Tenerife), Nacho (Levante), Paco Esteban (Málaga B)

Players lost (new team) - Miguel Ángel (Betis), Juanito (Alavés), Michel (Murcia), Tote* (Betis), Iznata y Amoroso (Sao Paulo), Calatayud (Getafe), Baiano (Celta), Wanchope (somewhere in Qatar, I think)

For me, the key signings were Salva, Morales and Hidalgo. I don't know much about Couñago or Nacho, and Paco Esteban is just a prospect.

Key losses were Miguel Angel, Juanito and Baiano. Baiano's goal scoring will be covered by Salva, but I think Malaga will miss Juanito's defense and Miguel Angel's speed and creativity in the midfield. They won't miss Wanchope. He didn't add much, certainly below expectations.

Key players for the season are Salva, Duda, Juan Rodriguez and the entire defense, including Arnau in goal. I think this team will score plenty, I'm more worried about their defense.

4. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way Quango, you follow Osasuna. How is Morales? A worthwhile signing for Malaga, or just an orange cone?

5. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    :( I hadn't heard that. Damn. Morales is a giant. He's tall and fast. I think he scored goals in six or seven straight games for us last year and finished the season our leading scorer. A good pick-up for Malaga.

Q

6. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good, I was thinking of the right player. I thought Osasuna had a pretty strong striker, Morales must have been the man. Thanks for the info.

7. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Celta-Malaga (R)

Match report from todays game.

Celta Vigo 2-0 Málaga

VIGO, August 28 (Primera Liga) - Celta Vigo's return to the Spanish top flight got off to the perfect start with a home win against Malaga.

Gustavo Lopez put them in front after 10 minutes and Joao Fernando Baiano added another in the first minute of the second half as the home side dominated proceedings and the visitors struggled to deal with the pace and intensity of Celta's game.

The home crowd did not have to wait long for their first goal back in the top flight. Ten minutes had passed when Gerardo Garcia brought down Celta's Iriney Santos on the edge of the area.

Iriney touched the resulting free-kick into the path of Lopez and his rasping 25 yard drive left Francesc Arnau motionless between the posts.

Malaga finally started to string some passes together and in the 20th minute they managed to fashion a chance down the right.

Portuguese midfielder Edgar laid on a low cross for Juan Rodriguez inside the Celta box, but the big frontman's first time shot lacked the necessary power to test Jose Pinto.

Iriney almost doubled his side's lead with a speculative effort ten minutes later. Fabian Canobbio played the ball inside from the left touchline and went for the return pass, but instead Iriney let the ball roll across him and he unleashed a dipping shot from all of 30 yards that narrowly missed the left hand post.

A minute into the second half, Celta doubled their lead through debutant Baiano against his former club. Former Liverpool midfielder Antonio Nunez supplied the cross from wide on the right and the Brazilian striker's first time shot arrowed past Arnau and into the net.

Malaga's confidence was visibly shaken by the second goal and they began to look very much like the side that only narrowly avoided relegation last term.

The visitors' best move of the second half came just after the hour mark with two substitutes combining to fashion a shot on goal.

Richard Morales managed to pick out Paco Esteban Granado who cut back inside before firing a low right-footed shot straight down the throat of Pinto.

In the 71st minute, Nacho Perez surprised everyone by shooting directly from a corner on the right.

His curling effort hit the outside of the near post, but in truth a goal in those circumstances would have been more than the visitors deserved.

Instead, Celta were comfortably able to hold on to their two-goal cushion for the remaining 20 minutes for a confidence-boosting three points.

8. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a good start to the season. Hard to see Baiano come back to bite his old team, but Celta spent some money this off-season.

Overall, I'm not too worried. It's only game #1.

9. splara10

splara10 New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Malaga CF Fan,

I'm going to be in Malaga on vacation from Sept 15th through 24th. Although I'm an Arsenal fan, I'd love to catch a La Liga match while on vacation. It looks like Malaga plays Alaves on the Wed during the week I'm there - how difficult is it to get tickets to a home match? Where is the stadium? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Splara10

10. JimmieLivealot

JimmieLivealot New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Austin, TX

Can't help with directions but you'll definetly be able to get tickets. Malaga rarely sells out and it'll be mid-week to boot.

11. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem. You shouldn't have any problems getting tickets to the match, especially because it's against Alaves. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Betis and Sevilla are the big matches for Malaga and the tickets are usually hot for those matches, but this is Alaves and any casual fans (especially the tourists and expats that visit the resort cities to the east like Fuengirola and Marbella) won't be too interested in this match, unless, like you, they just want to see a La Liga match.

Tickets shouldn't be a problem. I haven't lived in Malaga for 5 years, but I really doubt they have changed much in terms of ticket sales. You have two choices for buying tickets. Go to El Corte Ingles during the week prior to the match (since this is a Wednesday match, go on Monday or Tuesday - they aren't open on Sunday). El Corte Ingles (huge department store) is right in the center of Malaga, you can't miss it. Tickets for a match such as Alaves are probably going to run anywhere from 25-75 Euros, depending on where you sit. Behind the goals are the cheapest (Gol and Fondo) and tend to be a little rowdier, but I usually sat there without too many problems (although I was almost always with a Spaniard or two).

If you don't buy your tickets in advance at El Corte Ingles, you can always go to the stadium box office on game day. La Rosaleda is in central Malaga, about a 15 minute walk from the city center and a 25 minute walk from the train station (and bus station). Here's a link to a map of the city with La Rosaleda highlighted (it's on the map labelled near the street Paseo de Martiricos - Zoom in to street level and it comes up labeled as Estadio La Rosaleda): La Rosaleda - Mapquest

Give it a shot and feel free to ask any more questions you may have. Also, make sure you buy a Marca (Spanish sports daily) in the days prior to the match. I don't know how good your Spanish is, but the gametimes in Spain tend to oscillate, even a couple of days prior to the match. Your best bet is to either check the internet MARCA or buy a paper to ensure the time and date of the game have been fixed. It will definitely be a sure thing by the Monday before the match.

Hope this helps. Aupa Malaga!!

12. splara10

splara10 New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys,

Thanks for all the useful info - exactly what I was looking for. My Spanish is incredibly rusty, but my wife is near fluent, so that should help. I'll let you know if I have any other questions. Thanks again.

13. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Málaga 0-2 Atlético Madrid

MALAGA, October 2 (Primera Liga) - Atletico Madrid bounced back from last weekend's demoralising home defeat to Getafe by beating Malaga and moving away from the relegation zone.

Atletico had found themselves stuck in the bottom two after losing 1-0 to a Getafe side that had to play the majority of the second half with 10 men following the dismissal of Mario Cotelo.

But Atletico had a much more enjoyable outing this time around as second-half goals from strikers Fernando Torres and Mateja Kezman helped them to a second league win of the season.

It also lifted the capital club up to 10th and eases some of the pressure on coach Carlos Bianchi who has endured a tough baptism since taking over in the summer.

Although the win is a major boost to Atletico, the game itself was an uninspiring affair with the first half in particular littered with mistakes.

However, those errors did lead to a handful of chances being created, the first of which arrived for Malaga after just two minutes.

Atletico failed to clear their lines properly and when the ball came to Gerardo Garcia on the edge of the area, the midfielder tried to lob visiting goalkeeper Leo Franco, only to see his shot drop agonisingly wide of the far post.

It took the visitors some 20 minutes to finally click into gear up front, Torres getting the better of his marker to send in an inch-perfect cross for Martin Petrov, but the Bulgaria winger could only prod wide under pressure from Fernando Sanz.

Seven minutes later a poor punch from home goalkeeper Francesc Arnau gave Maxi Rodriguez an opening on the edge of the area and his ferocious shot only cleared the bar by a matter of inches.

Atletico wasted another good chance just before the break when Petrov's corner was flicked on inside the area by Pablo Ibanez towards the far post where Peter Luccin had made a late run.

The French midfielder hit a first-time volley from the angle, but blazed his shot over the bar.

The second half was equally lacking in excitement and it needed a controversial call from the officials for the deadlock to finally be broken.

Torres went down inside the area under pressure from Cesar Navas and although the challenge looked innocuous enough, referee Javier Turienzo Alvarez pointed to the spot.

Torres picked himself up to send the resulting penalty high past Arnau as the keeper stayed rooted to the spot.

With a little over 15 minutes to go the visitors all but wrapped up the points when Kezman doubled the lead.

Lining up his sights some 25 yards out, the Serbo-Montenegrin's shot from 25 yards went through the legs of a defender and caught Arnau off guard before creeping into the bottom corner.

Malaga had the chance to pull one back and set up a grandstand finale when an errant pass at the back let in Salva Ballesta.

That left the much-travelled striker one-on-one with Leo Franco, but he lost his composure and blasted the ball high into the stand.

14. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a broadcast to Splara10, I'll probably send a PM too, but I'm wondering if he made it to a Malaga match while he was there and if our advice made a damn bit of difference...

15. splara10

splara10 New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    guys,

advice was perfect - everything was where you said it would be when we got into Malaga. only problem was, we ended up staying in a town closer to the almeria province and i couldn't convince my group to return to Malaga for the match given the drive. i ended up watching the game in a bar, but still a fantastic experience.

thanks again for the help.

16. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were you in Nerja? I love that place.

17. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Valencia 2-1 Málaga

VALENCIA, October 16 (Primera Liga) - Goals by defender Roberto Ayala and winger Vicente earned Valencia their third home win of the season at the expense of Malaga at the Mestalla on Sunday night.

Given the one-sided nature of the match, the scoreline flattered the visitors, who were under siege for the majority of the clash and only showed any signs of attacking intent in the final 10 minutes.

But despite having a plethora of chances, Quique Sanchez Flores' side could only manage to find their way past inspired Malaga goalkeeper Francesc Arnau on two occasions, with Ayala scoring in the eighth minute and Vicente netting after 66 minutes.

Malaga's consolation arrived in the 75th minute through Salva Ballesta but another goal for Antonio Tapia's men would have been unfair on Valencia, who are now just three points behind joint leaders Real Madrid and surprise package Osasuna.

The home side broke the deadlock when Miguel Angulo's corner from the right found Ruben Baraja in the box.

The midfielder's header was blocked, but Ayala was there to drill home the rebound low past the unsighted Arnau.

Despite setting off on numerous counter-attacks in the first half, Valencia's final ball was all too often poor.

And the only other occasion in the remainder of the half that Arnau was called into action came when Vicente's low cross from the left found Marco Di Vaio, but the former Juventus striker's control let him down, allowing the goalkeeper to race off his line to collect.

Malaga's best opportunity of the opening 45 minutes fell to Gerardo Garcia, but he could only curl his free-kick from the edge of the area into the wall.

Valencia's approach play in the second half was far more dangerous than before the break and Mista squandered two chances to extend his side's advantage before the hour mark.

A rasping drive from 30 yards drew a smart save from Arnau and moments later, another piledriver beat the Catalan goalkeeper, only to crash off the bar.

Sandwiched in between, Di Vaio had an equally good chance to score when he latched on to Vicente's throughball.

But with just Arnau to beat, the Italian rushed his shot and fired high into the crowd.

Malaga failed to weather the storm and their defence was breached again 24 minutes from time.

Spain international Vicente was given far too much time and space on the edge of the area and he powered in a low shot that took a wicked deflection and beat the unlucky Arnau.

The visitors pulled a goal back with 15 minutes remaining when former Valencia favourite Salva got on the end of Nacho Perez's left-wing cross to steer a diving header past Santiago Canizares.

Seven minutes later, Malaga almost grabbed an unlikely equaliser when Pablo Counago's whipped corner deceived everyone and almost curled into the net - only for Canizares to punch the ball clear off the line.

18. splara10

splara10 New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    further east, la herradura

19. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Málaga 5-0 Real Betis

MALAGA, October 23 (Primera Liga) - Real Betis slipped to their second thrashing in five days as they were soundly beaten by a rampant Malaga side at La Rosaleda on Sunday.

Betis were torn apart by Chelsea in the Champions League on Wednesday when they lost 4-0 and they were on the receiving end of another hammering as the south coast side picked up their third league win of the season at a canter.

Salva Ballesta scored a brace in the first half to send Malaga into the interval 2-0 ahead and Fernando Sanz increased their lead in the 51st minute.

Pablo Counago put the finishing touches to the victory by adding goals in the 63rd and 74th minute to complete Betis' misery.

Malaga were on top from the first whistle and Peres Nacho hit a left-foot shot wide of the target within two minutes following good work from Counago.

Salva headed a Vicente Valcarce cross straight at Doblas in the fifth minute before the same striker opened the scoring by powering home an effort from six yards out two minutes later.

His second goal arrived on the half-hour mark when he nodded in Garcia Gerardo's centre past the stranded Doblas.

Betis were struggling to cope as Malaga pushed forward relentlessly, Juan Rodriguez just missing with a 33rd-minute free-kick and Gerardo shooting wide when well positioned five minutes before the break.

The second half was just as one-sided and Malaga went further ahead six minutes in.

Again Gerardo was the supplier, the midfielder crossing for Sanz to steer home his finish low past Doblas.

The overworked goalkeeper had to be at his best to keep out a shot from Patricio Edgar in the 55th minute before Betis finally had an attack of their own, with Joaquin setting up Rivera, whose effort was saved by Francesc Arnau in the Malaga goal.

The hosts' fourth goal was simplicity itself, former Ipswich forward Counago tapping in from close range in the 72nd minute following good work by the busy Nacho on the wing.

Counago doubled his personal tally for the match two minutes later when he headed another Nacho centre into the back of the net from six yards out.

Betis came to life in the final 11 minutes and twice came close to a consolation.

Firstly, Ricardo Oliveira saw his superb, curling free-kick clawed away by Arnau in the 79th minute before the Brazilian striker hit another set-piece just over the bar.

But that was all Betis could muster as they succumbed to the third defeat of their faltering campaign.

20. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Match report from todays match:

MALAGA, November 20 (Primera Liga) - Real Sociedad's poor away form was evident once more as Malaga netted three second-half goals to claim maximum points at La Rosaleda on Sunday.

Cesar Navas, Antonio Hidalgo and Patricio Edgar were all on target for the hosts before Oscar De Paula salvaged a late consolation for the Basques.

The opening to the game was controlled completely by Sociedad, however, with Malaga looking well off the pace.

So it was no surprise that the first chance fell to the visitors after only a few seconds, Mikel Alonso firing in a left-footed shot which keeper Francesc Arnau did well to get a hand to.

Malaga finally woke up but they were lacking creativity in the final third, especially from the wings where a number of promising positions were wasted with poor deliveries into the box.

Pablo Counago managed to rise above the mediocrity in the 20th minute but his chip, after he found space on the edge of the box, flew over advancing Sociedad keeper Asier Riesgo.

The former Ipswich Town striker came closer on the half-hour mark with a shot which struck the post with Riesgo beaten.

Sociedad were awarded a dangerous free-kick just before the break but Mikel Alonso's effort hit the wall.

And the visitors ended the half on the ascendancy with Gari Uranga twice coming close.

His first effort went wide, though, and his second, after a neat one-two with Alvaro Novo, was also past the post.

Malaga rode the storm and went ahead in the 62nd minute. Riesgo mis-judged Gerardo Garcia's corner and Cesar slotted gratefully into an empty net.

The goal knocked the stuffing out of Sociedad as Malaga grew in confidence and started knocking the ball around.

It was, therefore, no surprise when Hidalgo doubled the hosts' advantage with a crisp low shot following an impressive run into the box.

Sociedad, who have now lost five of six games away from the Anoeta, were crumbling and the advantage was stretched to 3-0 three minutes later.

Riesgo was again at fault as his sloppiness allowed Edgar the easiest of tap-ins.

Malaga seemed to take their foot off the pedal following their third goal, allowing Sociedad to reduce the arrears with 10 minutes to go.

Xabi Prieto played in De Paula and he showed commendable composure to steady himself before firing home with his left foot.

Sunday's win was crucial for Malaga as they now face a tricky run of fixtures.

Next up is a trip to Getafe before meetings with second-placed Osasuna and Real Madrid.

Sociedad face Madrid next, aware the capital club will still be smarting from Saturday night's 3-0 humbling by bitter rivals Barcelona.

21. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good win for Malaga, now they face a tough string of matches and definitely needed the 3 points from this match.

Still, I would like this team to aspire to Europe, especially after crashing out of the Copa del Rey early.

22. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Getafe 3-2 Málaga

GETAFE, November 27 (Primera Liga) - Veljko Paunovic's late strike gave Getafe all three points in an exciting encounter with Malaga.

The visitors had taken the lead through Perez Nacho but Paunovic soon levelled and Getafe then took the lead through a Cesar Navas own goal. Antonio Juan Rodriguez equalised early in the second half before Paunovic snatched victory.

Formula One world champion Fernando Alonso appeared on the pitch before kick-off, and it was a suitably fast-paced game that followed.

The first chances of the game fell to Getafe as Ivan Riki was denied by Francesc Arnau in the ninth minute after good work from Mariano Pernia and then Pernia himself had a shot charged down by the defence.

Four minutes later, Malaga responded through Anderson Silva as he broke through the defence to shoot only to be denied by a good save from Juan Catalayud.

Malaga then took the lead when Antonio Hidalgo picked out Nacho and he beat his man before firing the ball beyond Catalayud.

Nacho was then a hero at the other end just two minutes later, blocking Paunovic's header on the line.

However, the Serbia & Montenegro striker would not be denied and moments later he followed up on his own rebound to squeeze the ball in from close range and level the scores.

Getafe then got in front when Hidalgo lost the ball on the wing and Garcia Gerardo broke through on goal. However, it was Cesar who got the final touch for an own goal.

Moments before half-time, Riki had a chance to increase their lead as he shot from distance, but his effort was charged down.

Nine minutes after the interval, Malaga levelled things up again when Hidalgo's ball into the area fell to Rodriguez who fired in from close range.

Getafe continued to push for a winner, and Daniel Guiza forced a good save from Arnau when he struck a right-footed shot on the rebound, and Paunovic then set up Riki but his header went wide of the target.

At the other end, Hidalgo sent in a free-kick which was on target but charged down in defence.

Paunovic then scored what would prove to be the winner five minutes from time with a shot from outside the area. Arnau got his fingers to it but could not do enough to stop it creeping inside the post.

There was one more chance for Malaga to level the game deep into injury time when Rodriguez picked out Jesus Gamez but his shot was charged down and cleared deep down the field by the Getafe defence.

That allowed the hosts to hang on for victory in a close game which could have gone either way.

23. El Guero Naco

El Guero Naco New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    OK Pichi (or anyone else who knows), I'm hellbent on getting over to Málaga for Sunday's game against Osasuna. I'll be taking the bus from Salobreña and I've seen that La Rosaleda is north of the city center and the bus station. I can figure my way from there at the information counter by taking a local bus, but what I'm wondering is: How much the game costs, and if I have to stay the night, are there hostales near the stadium?

Also, any tips you could give me would be nice.

24. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Here are the prices that Malaga charged for their last home match against Real Sociedad, against Depor the prices were raised by 5-10 euros.

Fondo (Alto/Bajo)- 15 euros.
    Palcos Fondo- 30 euros.
    Gol (Alto/bajo)- 15 euros.
    Palcos Gol- 50 euros.
    Preferencia Baja/Alta (sector 3)- 20 euros.
    Preferencia Baja/Alta (sector 2)- 30 euros.
    Preferencia Baja/Alta (sector 1)- 40 euros.
    Palcos Preferencia- 60 euros.

Viva Er Beti y Europa Tiembla!

Er Pichi

25. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pichi's advice was spot on. And he's right, prices fluctuate depending on the opponent coming to the stadium. Osasuna, while they are performing well in La Liga, are not a high-visibility opponent like Real Madrid, Barca, Depor, or even Valencia and Atletico Madrid, so prices should be pretty similar to what Pichi posted, give or take a couple of Euros!!

Enjoy the match you lucky bastard!!