Official "Make the Cauldron Rock for the Playoffs" thread [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by BenC1357, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hrm.

About the security...... I think I was actually getting somewhere with the black Arrowhead sheriff until we created that scoring opportunity. I really think that since it seems he's the one in charge of our section, if we could sit down with him and voice our concern, he may be willing to listen.

Our main concern, as I read it, is the inconsistency of enforcement. And despite what CJ said in the Q&A, there is NOT a turnover problem. We've had the same guys all the time. We normally have that guy who sits on the front row, and when we get TOO out of line, he reins us in. We're used to him. He's used to us.

Something I pinned down last night, although I had sorta noticed it before. We're only "graced" with the salad on nights where a Chiefs game is the next day. Any other time we're left with our regular guy. This is what creates the inconsistency of enforcement.

I understand the necessity for situational training, but there comes a time when it needs to be balanced with the fan base.

I think that something we need to do with the front office for next season (and dammit, I'm not going to be here) is create some sort of identification and self-policing policy. Although we want to increase our numbers, by inviting in people who are new to the Cauldron and don't know the dynamic, we invite problems like happened Saturday night.

By being a large group of passionate supporters, we are easily identifiable. Each person's actions reflect on the group. This season, we've done a lot to increase our numbers, but between the allegations leveled (incorrectly) at Ice Kaiser, and the infamous beer-tossing incident, we have also invited more scrutiny upon the group and our behavior. In a way, we've created our own problem.

We know who the regulars are. We need to create some form of identification for all the regulars in the Cauldron. As loathe as I am to admit it, we need to create a code of conduct that will make some concessions to the front office. Obviously, we are NOT going to cede on Who's Your Daddy, Wings of a Sparrow, or any other group chants that contain profanity, because a lot of that you can see on network TV, and a lot of that is steeped in soccer tradition. Where we make the concessions are in our personal behavior.

As individuals, we need to really check our language. Like it or not, the Front Office is all about the dollars. CJ said as much in the question about marketing to Hispanic audiences with the introduction of Chivas USA to the mix. I think that can be extrapolated to include family marketing as well.

As individuals, we also need to check our alcohol consumption. I am certainly not saying that we do not drink, and I'm not even saying that we don't get drunk. But when you are an identifiable member of the group, and you cause a problem for security through your actions, you cause problems for the entire group. I'm not singling anyone out here, as I am as guilty of it as anyone (the Chicago roadie is a prime example) but you need to examine your actions.

If we can offer some concessions to the front office and security along these lines, I think it will go a great way in increasing the cooperation among the parties.

2. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The look on his face during "Do you hear the Rapids sing" was priceless. He wanted to stop it, but couldn't

3. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    he really couldn't do much, either, since John, mark and myself (the ones standing next to him) were all saying "freakin"

4. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roush you are not a good example for the cussing part. You drop alot of F-bombs and I saw security talk to you atleast 3 times on Sat night. And in all it really isn't that bad.

5. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I dropped a fair amount of f-bombs on Saturday night. Most of it was out of frustration with the security and the officiating. I started with some creative things, but as the security got onto me and Jace and Mark for benign cursing (not voiced loud enough for anyone else to hear) my restraint slipped.

Yes the security guy was talking to me, but at least one of those times was me attempting to smooth ruffled feathers and try to explain - calmly - why we were getting bent out of shape over the actions of the Fan Resistance guy. I tried to explain to him that we had the one guy all season who knew what was going on, and the other guy who didn't.

And finally, you ARE right, that it isn't all that bad, relatively speaking. We could be like some of the Chiefs fans, and curse a blue streak.

All I'm trying to say is that we may gain a little more help from the front office if we agree to (in principle) do a little more self-policing and self-censorship.

Like it or not, we have a certain image preceding us, certain actions that have reinforced that image, and a lack of numbers that puts us in an incredibly weak position vis-a-vis Chiefs fans. All I am saying is that we should be mindful of that. Like CJ said, when we have our own stadium and are not renters, we won't have to deal with the double-standard that exists. But until then, we should try to work within the system.