Official "Make the Cauldron Rock for the Playoffs" thread [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by BenC1357, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    I've got at least a few coming with me for the game... Should be a farely rowdy bunch.

CHAD

2. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you wouldn't have found coaches they still would be trying to find a place to have the watch parties at.

First off it could have been brought across as a joint project which it wasn't . To answer your last question, maybe so but that is why we need the credit were it is due so we can improve on our image. We are not angels but we are not the Devils childs either and get kicked out every weekend.
    By having the FO coming out and saying that we are going to a watch party with the Mystics it says these guys aren't that bad after all. As of right now it looks like we are the red haired stepchild. We don't really want them around but they do have good idea's. Let's just not give them credit for anything that way they can't grow to become a bigger force becuase then we will have to pay attention to them. If we can't get the credit were it is due to improve our image how the hell are we suppose to grow Mr. Pooba? Maybe that is why people don't come over and say hey?

3. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are looking to expand the people sitting with us, and we would prefer passionate fans.

The majority of the people at Coach's are passionate enough to attend watch parties.

Although they may not be passionate enough to jump feetfirst into the Cauldron, they represent our target recruit. (And I use the word recruit intentionally here. Whether for a single game in the Cauldron or a season as an external virus to spread the chants throughout Arrowhead, that's what we should view them as.)

The audience at Coach's is ripe... We need to ask as many people as possible what they think about the Cauldron. Ask them why they come to games, and why they do or don't cheer. Ask them if they tailgate before the game, and invite them to our tailgate. As wont as I am to dilute our access to CJ, the Q&A session provides an EXCELLENT recruitment opportunity.

Kevin, as the official representative of the Mystics, and by extension the Cauldron, it may be beneficial to ask the front office if you may be permitted to say a few words at the watch party.

The things you should address:
    - Thank the front office for helping to get the word out to the masses about the Wizards. Something like "It's nice to see that there are so many other enthusiastic, passionate fans of the Wizards out there." Something that subtly mentions that we were doing watch parties long before the front office got involved without directly challenging the front office.
    - Pimp our annual road trips. Mention that in addition to helping the front office (and I think it's important to mention that we "helped" the front office) with the watch parties, we also arrange road trips as possible. I would certainly mention the Tulsa exhibition and the tailgate, and make sure that people KNOW it was organized by the Cauldron.
    - Put the word out about our tailgates. Invite people, make them feel welcome. Entice them with this weekend and the access to CJ if we have to, but get them out there and make them feel welcome.
    - Finally, say that we are beginning to reach a critical mass. With the support for the World Cup watch parties in 2002 and the Wizards watch parties this year, we are finally reaching the point where we could make a difference in the media coverage. Ask people to help repay Lamar and the Wizards organization for all of the hard work they put in this year. Invite them to stand with the Mystics and the Cauldron for the ONE playoff game, whether in the soccer celebration lot before the game, or if they dare the entire game in 114. Give them the tools to feel welcome.

Let's see if we can take advantage of the media hole this week with the Chiefs' bye to get some real coverage from the Star.

--------
    Wow. I didn't expect it to be this long. At this point, my passion hurts. I hate the fact that I have to go to work now, and for the long term I hate the fact that I have to leave ang create the same kind of passion for another team that Ihave for the Wizards.

4. KC Salty

KC Salty Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good suggestions guys. Thanks for the feedback. Out of curiousity, how many Mystics are planning on being at Coach's on Tuesday?

5. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I will be there. And John is right, we should use the opportunity to pimp the tailgate and the section. I'm going to make a flyer. I think we really can use this as a push for the playoff game(s) and for next year.

6. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Does anyone have a .gif, .jpg or .ai of the Mystics logo? the only image I have is the pin, and my scanner isn't working...

7. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    I will be at Coach's. Kevin if you do get up and make some announcements I would suggest pimping Extratime on Wednesday nights from 5:00 to 6:00 on 1340 KCKN. I know it is a little late in the game for it but it would be nice to absolutely flood the the show for what could be its final broadcast with the Wizards still in the running. Pimping Bigsoccer.com would be an extra good thing as well. The more views of people on this board the better. I love it when non-cauldronites give suggestions. It helps to break the groupthink.

One last thing, There are two major sport talk stations in this town maybe it is time to start a mass call in on Tuesday to pimp the game let people know that it is happening on Metrosports and being shown in HDTV at Coach's on 103rd and Wornall (they have been good to us lets be good to them) Wednesday afternoon to talk about the game that just happened, and to pimp the upcoming game and the cauldron. Friday afternoon to pimp the upcoming game and the cauldron.

Tuesday will be to late to ask people to call in from the group at Coach's. Those are the people who we need calling, they are knowledgeable and passionate about the game. Is it possible to say print up about 100 media info flyer's with instructions about what stations to call, approximately about which time to call in, on which days, give some sample topics. Also another chance to pimp bigsoccer.

8. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    Mass Call-in

I'm all for a mass call-in. Count me in. Let's face it, Kietz and Fatlock aren't going to discuss soccer unless it is thrown at them. We could also try emailing them as well. I will be calling Between the Lines on Tuesday.

As for the watch party, Oct and I are in, as is my father and maybe my brother.

Chris

9. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I will be at the watch party too.

10. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of extratime there could eb a special guest on Wed.

11. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
  12. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    F that. Don't ask for anything. Take it because you should. Others know the watch party dynamic better than I, pick a moment uncontrolled by front office pions and go to it. Be bold, be brief, be seated.

13. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    might want it clear what the flyer is about. Put some big text up top, either below or sandwiched in between the 2 logos. Mke it clear even if youre standing 20 feet away what the flyer is about and what it wants the reader to do.

Other than that, it looks pretty good.

14. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Jace- Mind if I have a go at it? I'll stick with your basic design, and go from there. I've got some ideas, but they're hard to explain. It'll just be easier for me to work on it in photoshop.

15. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lisa an I will be at Coach's.

16. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
  17. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    front office

The watch party is never really organized enough to warrant asking for permission. The FO doesn't even seem to be involved except for having the prizes for the drawing. Even the person conducting the drawing is not a member of the front office, just someone sitting at a table.

The crowds are very easygoing and I don't think they would have a problem with Kevin or anyone else got up and said something.

18. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I've only been to Coachs for a game the one time, but I have a question...

Is there really a benefit to advertising the the Coachs crowd? I mean, I guess its worth it if it brings in a couple of people. But from what I recall the crowd there consisted of a bunch of people already in the Cauldron, some players wives and quite a few older people whom I've seen around for years.
    I'm doubting the wives join us in 114, and the older people don't seem like (from casual conversations I've had) they'd join us either.
    Maybe I'm wrong and just being a pesimist.

19. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the benefit comes from possibly attracting an older, "more respectable" contingent to the Cauldron. If the Cauldron augments its current membership with a different group, it may dispel some of the notion that we are a bunch of unruly drunks, therefore yielding more recognition from the front office.

Chicago has succeeded by blending the youthful exuberance of the Ultras with the organization of the Barnburners, and I think we may want to look into something similar.

20. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    No......the old people I'm talking about are those old ladies that knit during the games. They're probably in their 70's. While they're good and dedicated fans I highly doubt they'd be interested in section 114.

Like I said, I'm sure its a good idea, I was just playing devils advocate.

21. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I think Ben has it summed up about right on the Coach's crowd. Then again, I haven't been in a while.

2. If you ask me, the Cauldron is skewing younger, not older. There are more teenagers then there have ever been. This is a positive development! From the day we (Wade Jackson, myself, others)started working on a supporters' section in Arrowhead (approximately Nov., 1995), it's always been a dream of mine for that section to be where teens wind up, where they go when they're old enough and their parents will let them. It's happening.

3. The success of Section 8 is down to lots of things, the least of which is the organization of the BarnBurners. That's not a slap at them *at all*, and there's no way to minimize the effort that they put in working with the front office. But Section 8 is fueled by the sheer number of people interested in that kind of section in the Chicagoland area, combined with the willingness of Peter Wilt to foster it. They had three times as many people even remotely interested in their organization within a week of putting it together and putting the word out on the Net than we'll ever have. Trust me, I was there.

22. KCWIZFLAG

KCWIZFLAG Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Gladstone, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this might be off topic for this but one way you might be able to get the word out about the Mystics is to do what the Royal Lancers and Chiefs Red Coaters do-They walk about the parking lot before the game and just talk to people.

Or maybe you could do something in the community that the Mystics alone could take credit for like Adopt-a-Highway or Habitat for Humanity. While some or all of you might be laughing at the thought of this, it would be a good way to lose the drunken frat boy image and let people know that you're part of the community. In turn you could let people know to join your "community" at Arrowhead and cheer on the Wizards every game.

As for the whole "we want credit for this stuff" attitude, unfortunately you've already lost credit for those things so let it go. Just take that anger and put it into the singing and chanting and let Colorado hear about it!

23. SoccerNutScott

SoccerNutScott New Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Olathe, KS
    How about a ladies night in the Cauldron? That should draw some fans or at least a bunch of guys. Just kidding of course. Sounds like you guys have some great ideas going. Look forward to hearing you guys in the stadium. I have not been to one of the playoff games in the past and this will be my first.

24. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    As a drunken frat boy. That is exactly what my fraternity does. I am already part of one group that does that, I will not be part of another.

The Mystics is a Kansas City Wizards Supporters Club not a Community Outreach wing of the Wizards, that is what the Crusaders are for.

25. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Don't people know this is something that drunken frat boys do to try to convince people in the community that they aren't drunken frat boys? ;)

Anyway, the people who have such a terrible image of us probably aren't going to be joining us regardless of our image.

Its hard to let it go when they have consistently done this. Sam was the one who suggested that there should be watch parties at the Pavilion, yet received no credit. Its not just this year.

It sounds trivial, but that's the best way to get your name out. I really don't think that people will care if the Mystics/Cauldron are just cleaning a highway, but if you show that ideas to provide people more opportunities to watch the Wizards in a nice atmosphere (Pavilion or Coach's), then people will think we're somewhat worthwhile.