Official "Make the Cauldron Rock for the Playoffs" thread [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by BenC1357, Oct 20, 2003.

1. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Depending on the results of next week, we play our home playoff game either Saturday Nov. 1 or Nov. 8. Either way, we need to make the section rock. For various reasons (college homecomings being one) we've had people missing games. Its time to have a huge section, regardless of how the rest of the stadium turns out, for our playoff game. The boys have turned things around with 4 wins, and we need to show the love back. Get every friend, family member, neighbor and/or stranger off the street (hitch hikers included) to the section. For all you guys that set in other areas of the stadium, this would also be a great time for you to come on over. Lets condense the noise into one loud, crazy, rockin' section for one last time this season.

This thread will be stickied once we know the exact time and date of the match.

2. KCWIZFLAG

KCWIZFLAG Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Gladstone, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have just one question-Why is it so important to make just "one" section rock? I know we have our differences on this Ben, but I do feel that you guys should get the Cauldron rocking, but the rest of the stadium should be also. Will the entire stadium rock? I don't know, but I know where I sit will be!
    If we all were to sit in section 114 don't you think that it would look rediculous to have everybody in one corner of the stadium. How are the players going to hear us when they are on the other end of the stadium? Do you think that Chiefs fans care where they sit as long as everybody is loud?

No offense, but last game the people around us only clapped along to the piped in music EVEN when we were chanting along with the Cauldron. Just give it some time and everybody will come around. Look how long it has taken for our attendance to be respectful. You have got to stop this Cauldron vs. the rest of the stadium stuff. That is just going to make people not want to sit there.

3. jdouble

jdouble New Member

Jan 22, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    cauldron

my season tickets are on the front row in section 102, but for the first few minutes of the last game i sat about 30 rows up and the Cauldron is much much louder than i thought it was. I could hear you guys so clearly up 30 rows compared to on the field. So, i know that wasn't the largest turnout ever, but i was really impressed when i heard it for the first time the way other people must hear it every game.

way to go kids.

4. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    I don't think anybody wants to turn this into a us vs. them type thing. I think this stems more from from amplifying sound. All I know is that when we traveled to Naperville and saw Section 8 I was definitely jealous.

5. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll even take over TBAD duties if Sam can't make it... That was actually a lot more fun than I'd expected. It was a bit nervewracking, because I thought I'd f- it up, but as I drove home, I came up with a few things that I think may help.

6. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    BINGO!

Every single die hard in Chicago is in Section 8. Thats people like you Aaron. They realized a while ago that no stadium, at least these days, is going to have the entire place doing one chant (although I have to admit Chicago got close that night). What they've proven, and I've been trying to convince you of, is that if you condense the die hard chanters down to one area they're LOUD. For me its not an us vs. them, I want one thing. The loudest stadium possible. And by Nov. 1 or 8 the only way to do so is to have as many people as possible in 114.
    If you don't agree, or don't want to come over, thats fine. But I think that fact that many of the people on either side of the Cauldron can be seen joining us proves that the larger our section grows the more influential it is. While in the mean time you are joining us over in your seats and thats great, but you still see the folks around you just joining in with the piped in music.

We've had this conversation though many times. This thread isn't for that. This is my attempt to get a large and loud Cauldron. Its my opinion that the bigger and louder in one area, the better, and I want to see that for our playoff game.

John, you did just fine on TBAD. Good work.

7. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Well, and Aaron, whether you believe it or not (I know you suggested that we do otherwise) the only section we can actually control to any extent is 114. I would love it if we could spread teh love around and could get other sections involved, but it just isn't going to happen. One unified voice is stronger than 30 individual voices spread across the stadium. If Chicago hasn't shown us that, then the lack of support of the Wiz Zone - excuse me - Zard Yard and nearby sections does. People who don't cheer and chant probably just don't want to, and unless we sucker them in by having a whole section look like they're having more fun than everyone else, they probably never will. We grow by people wanting to be like us and joining us, similar to how Section 8 grows. They put on Tifos and other organized displays and the rest of the stadium wants to be a part of that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I am jelous of S8, and I think maybe we should model our support after them, because of any other group in MLS, they have made the most of it. Bigger, better banners, flags, etc. Better chants that call for the support of the rest of the stadium re: Who's the Best? Fire! chant. I just wish we had other supporter groups to unite. KC Misfits is a lost cause...they don't add anything and have an unfounded hatred for us. I wish I could unite some of the better elements of the KC Hooligans, but most have lost all intrest and hold grudges, although a few of the Scooter Club have been showing up for more and more games.

8. LSNsoccer362238

LSNsoccer362238 New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Are these actual groups or just people in general who dont like the cauldron?

9. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure who we'd need to talk to, but could/should the chant sheets make a return for the November game? I really think that Ben's hit upon a good note here. If people join in when the music is piped in, maybe we could get the FO to grant us a little scoreboard time. I know the tune to "When The Wiz Go Marching In" is in the public domain, so there's no rights negotiation with ASCAP... We'd lose the mic, and we'd definitely have to time it right to avoid the delay, but dammit, we do that chant EVERY time they make the Cauldron announcement. People have got to know that it's coming, so maybe if we piped in the music and put the words on the scoreboard, that may influence the silent masses.

10. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me personaly I want the f-ing stadium to rock but the only time that happens is during the "Magic Minutes." Which is really sad becuase it goes back to an echo in the Head after it is over.
    The music which has come to life in the last month and a half doesn't work and for some reason they don't see it. I guess they think that baseball chants will work at a soccer game!

IMO the Wizards had a chance to help the atmosphere out with all the people that signed up to be a Crusader. You have the diehard fans there, helping pimp the team and doing your job of selling tickets for you. So why not preach that it is ok to make noise during a game? I know it is not for some people but if you really are a die hard you are into the game and voicing your opinion thoughout the game. In a way kinda turn them into supporters club. Just more spreadout instead of a group. Which will help out in process of the word spreading faster.

The bigger we get, the better. Only then will the Head have an atmosphere. It is one thing to have 30 people chanting compared to 100. People will see that it is ok to do what we do and not be looked at as a bunch of "drunks." Which some of us are but that is ok because we are there every week. (don't know what that has to do with drunks but it sounded good)

11. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spoon, that is a money idea. I hadn't really thought of it, but I'll get in touch with Jake Spain re: that idea.

Another idea. I know that many of us don't necessarily have the voices to carry on for ninety minutes during the game, but in the truest sense of the sports cliche, it's playoff time and we have to step up our game. I think it may be beneficial to do a little singing before the game right in front of the stadium. We don't have to be as loud as we are for the game, but maybe if people see us singing before the game as an organized group, we may be able to both recruit some people for the game and the future, as well as teach the masses that supporting the Wizards is cool.

We definitely need the Forza Wiz banner, as well as TBAF, and probably TBAD. Whoever the dude with the other drum is (Unorthodox Yank?) should be there as well, and there should definitely be chant sheets. I'll donate my laser printer and a ream of blue paper to the cause, and if anyone else is interested, I can make the .pdf that we did earlier this season available....

If that means we have to tailgate a bit earlier, that's cool with me. Hell, we can even move the tailgate a bit closer, and maybe even get some front office support.

12. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of tailgate spots the old spot, would be money to have back.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I can make it down from Iowa for the game, you know I'll be in the Cauldron, I had a great time the last time, my last game I've been too, the 5-1 thrashing of Dallas wow that seems long ago. I hope that I can make it for the game, but it all depends on my school schedule. And by then soccer season up here will probably be over for me, which means I can actually enjoy the fact that I have turned 21.:D

14. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    The Misfits, are few, but they are a proud and passionate few. I make a point to go down and visit with them from time to time. I even have sat with them in a couple of my outings from the cauldron. They get into the chants. They do "your *#*#*#*# ha". They are nice and wonderful people who don't have a hatred for the Cauldron, infact they wish it to succed. What they don't like is the loud outbursts of negativity that come out, bashing our own players (even though it may be deserved). It also doesn't help that 114 is not the best sightline in the stadium. Other than cornerkicks it is pretty crappy.

15. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    KC Soccer Misfits sit behind the goal in the 'Zard Yard, and have since at least 2000. They also go to Comets games. They number about 8 at tops I would say, and before I sat in 122 and then 114, I sat near them in the Wiz Zone. All they did was bitch about the Mystics and whine about stuff. Would only heckle the keeper and not really chant IIRC. Every time we do We Are KC Wiz, they don't join in, but add an " 'ards " becasue they think it's silly that we don't use wizards in all our chants. Furthermore I and a few others have gotten in arguments with them before because they will wear opposing teams jerseys to the games and still claim to support the team (still confused on how that works). Met a couple outside of a Wizards game, and they seemed OK, I guess, but I don't have any hope for them.

KC Hooligans was a short lived club that would only make a couple games a year and usually be thrown out. They're mainly punk rockers and skinheads and the like, and I know most personally. Problem is, they have little interest in the game and live to emulate Chicago's Ultras. A few guys still come to games but don't bother with the cauldron. At the last organized Hooligan outting they were screaming at the Cauldron to "Shut up".

The Upsetters Scooter Club intersects with the Hooligans in some ways, and my buddies Jason and Britt come occasionally, and usually sit in the Cauldron. I think if I talk to Jason I can get some more people involved and come to games.

16. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I know a lot of guys like to get inside early, and a lot like to staggle behind and drink as long as possible outside, but what about a processional entrance ala 2000 season opener? Mystics were really loud, and gathered a lot of attention as they entered the stadium (I was with the Hooligans that night and was really impressed).

17. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Ok......I'd like to clarify my point with this thread.

This is NOT a "what can we do to make the rest of the stadium join us" thread.

This IS a "get every single person you know who will enjoy the Cauldron to the Cauldron for the playoff game and make the section wild" thread.

Capish?

We'll have a whole offseason to throw millions of ideas around. but in the end things will continue to go for our section just as they do for MLS: very slow.

Now what can we do thats different to the Cauldron to make the playoff game special? I really like the processional entrance.

18. KCWIZFLAG

KCWIZFLAG Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Gladstone, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon Ben. These ARE ideas to "get the Cauldron rockin' for the playoffs". That is after all what you want right?-to get the atmosphere up and going. Why limit the ideas to the Cauldron. This is exactly what my point was in the PM to you- It's always ONLY about the Cauldron-Yes the title of the thread is how to get the "Cauldron" rocking, but for God's sake stop being so negative when creative ideas come out.

Now to the main point-I do like the idea of a processional into the stadium-Maybe it will fire people up.

19. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    You're missing my point. This thread, that I started and gave its specific name for a specific reason, is for the Cauldron for the playoffs. I'm simply trying to keep the thread on topic, because right now all I'm concerned about in this thread is how to make the Cauldron rock for the playoff game.
    If the thread were titled "How to get the rest of the stadium working with the Cauldron to make all of Arrowhead rock in unison" you'd have a valid point. But I started the thread, and my first post makes it clear, for the sinlge purpose of rocking the Cauldron for the playoff game.

20. KCWIZFLAG

KCWIZFLAG Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Gladstone, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever:rolleyes:, that's fine. The only point I was making was that the best way to come up with ideas is just to throw them out there and see what happens. I understand that you want to keep this thread on topic, but good ideas should not be kept out even if they don't directly deal with the topic at hand. Maybe one of the ideas can be applied to the Cauldron. Who knows? You just can't limit the imagination, therefore people were just throwing random thoughts out there. An open mind breeds the greatest creativity and sometimes you just got to let people run with it until all ideas are exhausted.

21. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    The cauldron is the only part of the stadium that can be controlled by "us". 100 fans throughout the stadium will not be as loud as a 100 fans grouped together. To get the stadium rocking you have to work progressively. Start small and keep expanding. This year has seen the cauldron grow in size by about 10% compared to last year. Next year might be on the same trend. Hopefully someday it will reach a full section from top to bottom, then the Microphone won't be needed.

22. KCWIZFLAG

KCWIZFLAG Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Gladstone, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another point is that I will admit I was wrong when I stated this. I realize that everybody does their own thing and that's cool. I know that you are where you are because the people around you weren't cool that way.

23. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My ideas were specifically to recruit new people for the Cauldron for THIS game by welcoming them, teaching them, and removing people's natural fear of looking stupid in strange places.

I think that it would be a damn good idea to pair the pre-game singing right in front of the stadium with a processional entry into the main gates before the game.

My comment regarding the Crusaders, and contacting Jake Spain to see if any of them are interested, was to have them sit in the Cauldron with us, learn our chants, and then "spread the love" to their sections.

I know we have a couple weeks to ruminate on this idea, but the sooner we make a decision, the more chance we have for some promotion, whether here, on ExtraTime, through the FO, or wherever.

I am already bringing one person to the game, and maybe a second.

24. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    That right there is the best thing we can do. Get everyone you know that you can drag to a soccer game out there. I remember in '97 in the rain Matt and I brought a few people from high school with us. Arrowhead was empty and quiet.

Ideas so far:
    -Procession into the stadium. We'd need the drum before hand, obviously. Alex, we'd need you to show up as well.
    -KU guys. You're around a boat load of people who don't mind getting retarded drunk and acting stupid. Bring people with you :)
    -Everyone, bring as many people with you as possible who will stand, chant and sing.
    -Call ExtraTime and mention to everyone listening that they need to come join us. Kent, you obviously stand in the section, tell your listeners to come stand with us. (please...)
    -Communicating with the Crusaders is a possibility. I'm not sure how many would come over, because most of them are the family types that Aaron was talking about that don't join us.
    -Misfits, Hooligans, etc, etc. Who cares if there's differences. For one game everyone get in the Cauldron and join in.
    -BigSoccer posters that don't join the Cauldron regularly: join us for one game. It might change your game day forever (it sure changed mine a few years ago). (Aaron, I'm talking to fans just like you...)
    -Could we get some internet publicity on www.kcwizards.com ? John, that would be something to talk with Curt, Ryan or Jason about.

Who else has some ideas???
    KU contingent, thoughts???

25. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good.

For the most part the only reason i am usually late is because i ALWAYS underestimate the amount of time it will take to get to the head. However, since it IS the playoffs, Ill definitley try to get down there as early as i can.

And... as much as i really enjoy doing this whole drumming at the game thing now that i am actually remembering to bring it , even only one more person witha tom or a snare could make it way better, and , of course, way LOUDER.

But yeah..as soon as i know a time and a place, im there.