Official (Live Action) DC vs. NE (9/9) POST-GAME Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sachin, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference hasn't been Vanney being ON the field. It's been Boswell and Carroll being OFF the field. I said it long before the trade ............ Boswell and Carroll were quietly having an absolutely horrendous year. Since Boswell has gotten a taste of the bench, the defense has improved, and now it's looking like it's making him take his play on the field more seriously. Also, do you know what you will also find around the same time that Vanney joined and got healthy? You'll see that is the same exact time that Carroll got replaced in the starting lineup by Clyde Simms. So it's not about Erpen vs. Vanney. It's about Vanney vs. a poor playing Boswell and Simms vs. a poor playing Carroll.

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, i have to take back some stuff I said about this team 3 weeks ago. I said, rightfully so, that this team played like a bunch of individual players with no cohesion on the offensive side of the ball (after attending the Columbus match which the team WON 2-0). So of course, as soon as i say that, United comes out playing wonderful ball immediately thereafter. Bravo for them.

3. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I very much agree with this assessment.

4. resolute

resolute New Member

Aug 25, 2007
    South-Central (PA)
    Reply< No, I've reviewed the Telefuturo replays and it really does look like he's behind, however the much the Revs may've squealed.

5. resolute

resolute New Member

Aug 25, 2007
    South-Central (PA)
    Oh, c'mon, don't sugarcoat it ... you can tell us what you really think.

6. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I will take the match report gospel, as I got my inofrmation second hand from someone who got to stick around.

7. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    No offense but RSL fans bitching about the turf is a laugh.

8. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Speaking of Bobby Boswell.com, after seeing that clip about the match, I'd SO pay money for a copy of the 2004 eastern conference final on DVD. It'd convert more than a few people into soccer fans, I'd think...

9. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    EXACTLY!

Sadly enough, Vanney left Twellman unmarked on the goal! AND on another play headed the ball out for a corner when there was nobody around him, and no need to clear the ball out of bounds (this was the corner that lead to the goal).

So, is Vanney resting or being benched for the RSL game?

ps-the Carroll run and cross that lead to Emilio's goal was a thing of beauty!

10. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's that giant salt lake they lived by...REAL grass is foreign to them, because it would just die when they tried watering their lawns, so they've replaced them all with turf.

11. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The AR on that side was a complete tool who just made it up all day. Gomez was onside, Fred was off -- guess which goal counted? I loved it when they showed the replay on the screen and you could see Fred was clearly offside, the entire NE team is pointing at the screen and screaming at the AR. The Heaps-o-sh!t goal was just more of the same stellar work. I guess you could look at it this way, he wasn't any worse than Abby Normal. What surprises me is that while the refs were complete crap -- they actually didn't affect the outcome of the game.

12. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see now that I was wrong about the Vanney for Erpen trade. The defense is definintely better.

And even though I'm still disappointed at the number of competitions we've crashed out of, MLS Cup and Supporters Shield are the most important, and it sure seems as if we've still got a pretty good chance at both of those. </insert anti-jinx mojo here>

13. spectre

spectre New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fred was onside. It's quite clear from the TV replay. Ralston keeps him on from the far side of the play. Why people keep insisting he was off is beyond me.

Look at the replay. Put any eyeglasses or contacts to use before viewing.

14. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yah this is another way this years team has learned to grow and adapt.

They're winning on the road after abysmal road form early season.

They've come from behind rather than fall to crap when the game took a bounce for the worse.

They're starting to click as a team rather than a collection of individuals.

So much different than last year's "just keep doing what we've always done while it all slips away" approach.

15. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't feel bad. I was at the game and when Carroll came on, I was pissing and moaning - until he made that assist.

These guys sometimes need psychic "tough love" to get them motivated. :)

16. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Our offence is crazy. My first year as a fan was 03. Marco led all scorers with 6 goals. 6. This year Jaime gets all time goal record, Benny gets a hat trick, Emilio could score 20+ for golden boot, its like a video game. an urealistic video game. Dear United, please continue FIFA-esque play.

17. elprincipe

elprincipe Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough in most respects, and I do admit that Vanney has turned out better than I hoped. But I would still maintain he is better as a strong reserve for either Boswell or McTavish.

18. resolute

resolute New Member

Aug 25, 2007
    South-Central (PA)
    if you punch 2004 mls cup into your favourite search engine (use a search engine that supports Chinese state censorship at your own discretion), mlsnet.com still has their MLS Cup 2004 site up. On the sights and sounds page, check out "more video clips" under the picture of Esky. The "conference finals" section has all kinds of clips from that glorious, glorious night.

And if anyone from the Black and Red home office trolls this site, put me down for a DVD copy, too.

19. Blondie4DCU

Blondie4DCU New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    DC
    Well, to be entirely fair, Reis was holding onto Benny's foot, not letting him move on. To which Benny responded with what appeared to be a little nipple twist, he probably said something cute and Reis shoved his head. Personally, I think the shove was unnecessary, but I'm a Benny fan, not a Reis fan, so I'm not exactly unbiased here.

As others have pointed out though, Benny got the last word it.

20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Vanney losing his mark on Twellman and being responsible for the goal:

What Twellman did to Vanney is exactly what he did to Namoff last year. He feints towards the goal, then runs back, chest traps the ball AWAY from the goal, then swivels and volleys it into the net. Without a second defender on hand it is almost impossible to defend against. Credit TT, those were both world class goals.

21. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    What I find unbelievable is that Benny got mixed up in anything so unsavory.

22. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least the allegation is made without involving a bottle of Gatorade. ;)

23. DrEvil

DrEvil New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Laurel, MD
    benny rocks! reis was trying to twist his foot and bennie gave him a little payback. i love that bennie don't take crap from anyone. he really sets the tone for the club.

BTW, it time for all you naysayers from earlier in the season to admit it. this team has jelled at the right time and likely has a good chance at the supporters shield...

24. DrEvil

DrEvil New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Laurel, MD
  25. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly, CLEARLY Benny noticed a bit of lint on Reis' jersey...Benny, being the gentleman that he is, wished Reis to be presentable for the telecast, and was merely trying ot pick the lint off...Darned if that lint wasn't stuck on there but good, though.