Official (Live Action) DC vs. NE (9/9) POST-GAME Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sachin, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Nicol b**** about a no offside call on a Jamie Moreno goal.

2. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005
    No, about what he perceived to be an uncalled foul by Olsen on Smith on the play that led to the goal.

3. human2006

human2006 Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Minneapolis
    If they don't have that award, they should invent it so they can give it to B.C. That was sweeeeeet.

4. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DW and I attended our first DCU match tonight. Had a blast. DCU has amazing supporters groups, simply amazing. They make up for RFK being an abysmal facility and the Helps You Slip And Fall Brand (TM) turf (not the infield stuff, either).

We are not yet 'invested' in DCU. We are RSL fans since the day they announced the team in Salt Lake. But, we live here (see below) now, so we will over this season become acquainted with DCU and will probably be fans by the start of next year. Still, divided loyalties will exist. When RSL comes to town this Wednesday, we expect to be there. And we will be cheering for RSL (understanding all the futility that comes with this, we EmbraTSu, too; see the RSL forums to understand the term).

We live a long ways west, like the last county in Maryland heading west. So, we won't be season tix holders. (We have one of the 5 game packages for this season.) But, we will probably buy single game tix next year for convenient and interesting looking matches.

Maybe at one of the upcoming matches we can get there early enough for some Lot 8 time.

5. jmnva

jmnva Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    In watching the replay carefully, I don't think that Fred was actually offside. I think He was even with the defender on the far side of the field.

6. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was also up in 409 - brought two more new fans (my brother in law and his daughter) who recently moved here from Nevada.

They had a blast. Great view of Barra Brava and Screaming Eagles.

Revs fan behind me was going nuts about how terrible Smith was. It was hilarious. He was so ticked the whole game at him and jeered him off the field when he got substituted.

Yes perhaps the performance is going to Emilio's head.

Overall great performance in that heat and humidity to come back from being down.

I really like how Soehn has them clicking right now.

Was great to see Jaime get a goal in the run of play.

Reis is a tool for swinging at Olson.

Great day to be a United fan.

7. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, too, thought the Gomez goal off a great cross from Namoff was legit, while the Fred goal was questionable. It made no difference in the final score, but I sure would have liked Namoff to get an assist. He does so much good stuff on defense, but it would be nice to see his attacking forays pay off.

8. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't make to RFK today because of my son's NCSL game. However, I did DVR the game and I have to say I'm surprised more folks haven't been upset by the Heaps non goal.

I watched that "goal" several times in slow motion and for the life of me I can't see how that was judged a goal. At no time did it seem to cross the line - at least from the TV angles shown.

I guess in the larger scheme of things it doesn't matter - that was a great win today, especially since we came from behind.

9. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this part, anyway. Someone asked me "what do we make of the fact that Olsen and Boswell didn't start this game, and Carroll came in so late." I said "well, it means we won't be exhausted on Wednesday."

10. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that the Goal Of The Week (and, for that matter, Goal of the Year) tends to reward individual play by the goal scorer rather than team play, or individual play by someone other than the goal scorer. Which is a shame, because it really was a great play by BC.

11. DMP73

DMP73 New Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Alexandria
    Ok, after making possibly the three best tactical subs of the season I can now say it is time to fire Tom Soehn. ;)

Seriously though, great game. Electric and crushing for NE. Benny changed the game. What a luxury it is to be able to bring him into a game.

Steve Nichol is fat. Khano Smith can't figure out that when he flops to the ground after a Brian Namoff challenge, the ref ain't going to buy anymore of his bullcrap. Jay Heaps is a prick.

We spread the field and used the wings so well, it makes me want to cry. Gross back in the line-up is very very good. Fred was a warrior. No one on this team is going to quit, they all want to win.

Happy day at the game with the family!:)

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    In case I didn't make it clear in my post, that was my favorite part also.:D I'm so glad Benny had a "response."

13. Abner Ravenwood

Jul 21, 2004
    Last seen in Nepal
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching it several times, I agree - Steve Ralston keeps him onside.

14. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One person here got what I consider to be the biggest thing from this game:

Yes, it is.

Everyone, think back to how many times this season you've seen this team give up a goal, give up an equalizer, and melt down. Early in the season, we'd go down to another team, and we'd forget we knew how to play. Hell, just this past week, when we played the Goats and they scored, we lost our shit. When they tied, we panicked. We were lucky to walk out with a point. Everyone here knew that.

But today, TODAY, we gave up the equalizer, and then we gave up a go-ahead goal, and we didn't lose our shit. We didn't panic. We didn't forget how to play. We didn't lose confidence. We continued to play our game, we played well, and we got the goals back.

I was totally bummed out after the Chivas game, not because we drew -- before the match, I would have been happy to take a draw -- but because of the way we drew. And tonight, I'm bouncing off the walls not because we won, but because of the way we won.

********ing hell. Us us us.

15. soccerfamily

soccerfamily New Member

Nov 7, 2005

I WAS at the game tonight, and I'm still not impressed. I guess we just have to agree to disagree.;) However, I was impressed with Mctavish's save in front of the goal. He gets a gold star tonight.

As an unrelated side note, I also felt that BC's run was amazing. We were sitting in the Mezzanine behind that goal and had a fantastic view of it. I also think its a shame that after all that work, he can't get credit as a nominee for "Goal of the Week".

16. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The two players in DC history who always made me groan when they went forward with the ball are Brandon Prideaux and Brian Carroll. Yet Carroll's run today was a thing of absolute beauty. It was even more impressive when I went to review the DVR.

17. toomanywords

toomanywords Member

Feb 25, 2002
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    As a couple people have already mentioned, that play was fated to end badly no matter what for us -- it looked, both from where I was sitting and on the stadium replay, like there was at least one clear handball by a United defender in that rugby scrum near the goal line. Considering Abby could well have given out a red card if he'd made that call, things came out alright.

Of course, the three unanswered goals by D.C. after the Heaps goal also helped get me over any agitation it might have caused...

18. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    On second viewing, here's the thing that impressed me: right after Jaime scores DC's second, on the re-start Dave Johnson says something like, "Here we are, the two best teams in the east, all tied up at 2." That was the 60 minute mark. Over the last 30 minutes, DC, having played Thursday in LA and at Dallas last weekend, outplayed a New England team that has only played one game -- against a USL-2 team -- during that same time period, and outplayed them to the tune of 2-0. That was impressive.

19. spectre

spectre New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of short thoughts:

No way was Fred offside. The defender on the far side kept him on.

Either Ben was reminding Reis of his fumble against us in the game a few weeks ago or maybe he was having a chat regarding the Esky mauling when he whispered sweet nothings in his ear. I vote the prior, and yes I was glad Benny got the last word on the matter.

The scrum in the box that resulted in a goal by "the one who will not be named" was awfully messy. Whether or not the ball went over the line it looked like we might've gotten a hand on it at that point anyway. Maybe Perkins stops the pk and maybe he doesn't, but it wasn't like we got robbed.

Abbey was Abbey, glad to get out of there with the points and hoping that's the last of him for the year. Nicol has no grounds to whine when he gets 80% of the fouls in his favor.

Lastly - and this is something I've been meaning to say, not directed necessarily at any part of the thread -

Why in the hell do we bitch and moan about Vanney, or Carroll (as we've done in the past), or Fred, or anyone?? Maybe that's cool at the start of the year, when Tom was still getting his feet as the head man and the roster was in much more flux, but not now. NOT NOW! We're in the final stretch, jostling for playoff position, trying to get into the show with as much momentum as possible. Lay off the guys. Now matter how you feel about one player or another it is now time to circle the wagons, quit pointing any fingers, and support the guys as much as we can. This is our team this year. This is what we've got. VAMOS!!

20. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regrettably could not attend because of coaching responsibilities. But that gives me the benefit of video replay.

Watched carefully, and at first I kinda thought Benny took a cynical swipe at Smith's legs, but if you look closely you can see that Ben's falling down and not even facing or looking in that direction. He's pretty good, but I don't think he can do a no-look leg-sweep while in mid-air. That's like, Jackie Chan stuff. Best call was made-- play on, considering Khano won the ball by leaving his feet and moving horizontally into his opponent who was in position, which is illegal.

Facundo couldn't stabilize a book on a pool table. I more or less agree with your evaluation of Vanney, but what is absolutely certain is that he's doing some things that Erpen could not.

I actually thought it was a little ugly at first too. However, after watching the third replay, I noticed two things. First, Moreno's shot wasn't deflected as it went in, he just scooped/scuffed it in over Reis. And two, the reason it went OVER Reis is because as his first crack at it was blocked by the defender and he went to trap the ball, rather than just simply putting his foot on it and controlling it he actually accelerated his foot at the ball as if to shoot, which sent Reis in motion, and with his next step chipped for the far corner.

Calm, cool, and classically Moreno. Nobody else on the team does that. It was a solid goal.

21. KyleSheldon

KyleSheldon New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Then I have no idea what it is you expect from him. Seriously.

You really can't see the impact he's made on the team? Are you kidding me?

We keep our defensive shape now rather than running around like a bunch of amateurs covering for everybody's mistakes. We move as an organized back line. We pick up assignments, we rotate to the attack, we step up to keep the line as high as we need to for the situation. A great deal of that comes because of direction from Vanney.

That doesn't mean individual mistakes won't happen. They will, and at MLS salaries, they'll happen a lot.

Erpen was a nice kid, all eager to please, and he was full of energy. But he was the Bouna Condoul of defenders. He tried to make up in spectacular plays what he lacked in fundamentals. I laughed out loud a couple of times during the LA-COL match yesterday. The Erpen-Condoul show was going great guns.

Frankly, for you to say you remain unimpressed tells me that Vanney must have come over to your house and pissed in your cornflakes or punched your dog, because you're clearly not making your judgement based upon his play.

23. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    To be fair, Benny had two handfuls of Reis's jersey and it looked like he was keeping him down.

And Reis didn't hit Olsen. He pushed him in the face. Nothing that could be considered 'striking', IMO.

24. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Oh No, I won't have this! Prideaux and Carroll??? Clearly you've blocked Alavanja and Alegria from your mind! And even if you were only channeling inoffensive defenders, you're still missing out on the grand and ignoble Erik Imler. Prideaux had his flaws god bless him, but at least if he got forward it was because we were winning, so his lack of offensive skills was negligible. And if you're going to dun Carroll as a midfielder who is offensive in the atacking third, you really should look deeper into the United sack to find the more egregious offenders.

Aside from that, this thread has actualy addressed every point I might have made, so I might have passed quietly into the night if not for this post.

And as I'm already here, let me mention that Sachin is a rookie! Yes, the rule is never wake a sleeping baby, but you can't let that conflict with the golden rule that thou shalt not abuse the sabbath by not attending the soccer match of your choice.

Take it from me, you can slip the baby quietly into the car if lucky, but no matter what, a baby will adjust to the new environment upon its waking. Granted La Norte can be distressing to even the most jaded, but might as well get the babe acclimated early! Staying home now only prolongs the adjustment period.

:)

25. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Where is the [R] in your post, God-Dangit. I had it on Beta-max and really wanted to see this one.

:rolleyes: