Official LA Galaxy @ DC United PRE Match & PBP/Live Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frog Boy

Frog Boy Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Official LA Galaxy @ DC United PRE Match Thread

I always try to play up the middle. And about the width, you also need length.

Yea I know, I'm a classy guy.

2. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA

It always has been there for me too.

3. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA

This is something to play for. I hate LA because we always seem to play so damn poorly against them (except for MLS Cups!).

4. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington

I'm not gonna boo Tino. When he touches the ball I will yell "OOOOOOOO!" in his honor.

;)

Seriously, best of luck to Tino and his career. Just not against us.

We should have some Open Cup fatigue in our advantage. Nowak rested some key players, while the Galaxy played more starters, went 120 minutes AND has to fly across country. Just to add injury to insult, Cornell Glen got hurt and may be out for the rest of the season.

http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/MLS/new...ent_id=70205&vkey=news_lag&fext=.jsp&team=lag

Scoring Summary:
    COL -- Clint Mathis 1 (Kyle Beckerman ) 3
    LA -- Quavas Kirk 1 (Nathan Sturgis 1, Chris Albright 1) 45
    LA -- Landon Donovan 1 (Quavas Kirk ) 93
    LA -- Landon Donovan 2 (Peter Vagenas 1, Troy Roberts 1) 115

Colorado Rapids -- Matt Jordan, Eric Denton (Aitor Karanka 62), Dan Gargan, Mike Petke, Hunter Freeman, Clint Mathis (Nicolas Hernandez 84), Kyle Beckerman, Daniel Wasson, Fabrice Noel (Jacob Peterson 70), Colin Clark, Jovan Kirovski (Thiago Martins 61).

Substitutes Not Used: Bouna Coundoul, Luchi Gonzalez, Pablo Mastroeni

Los Angeles Galaxy -- Kevin Hartman, Chris Albright, Ugo Ihemelu, Troy Roberts, Ante Jazic, Quavas Kirk (Tyrone Marshall 11), Nathan Sturgis, Peter Vagenas, Santino Quaranta (Cobi Jones 67), Cornell Glen (Landon Donovan 37), Herculez Gomez (Alan Gordon 77).

Substitutes Not Used: Steve Cronin, Josh Gardner, Paulo Nagamura

5. DCU_Rick

DCU_Rick New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Right behind you.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Gals didn't rest many of their players on Wednesday either. Peter Vaginas went all 120 minutes of their extra time USOC match, and Landycakes went nearly 90 minutes himself. I say we should be able to run them ragged.

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Something doesn't add up here, I'll guess it is supposed to be a sub in the 77th minute ....... and I thought he played for Columbus :confused:

7. Amores Perros

Amores Perros Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Kuala Lumpur
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Over 18,000 tickets already sold for this match? :confused: I'm actually having problems buying tickets in the bottom sections in advance.

With walk-ups attendance should be well over 20,000.

Should be a good attmosphere...DC better produce a win! No more ties!

8. DCU_Rick

DCU_Rick New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Right behind you.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not only that, but how does Kirk come off and then assist on the Donovan goal in the 93rd minute?

The box score says Kirk came off in the 106th for Marshall. That seems to make more sense, but I don't know how they got "11"

9. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA

If I recall from listening to the match, Tyrone Marshall came in in the 111th minute.

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

Well ... can we say this ...

Between DCU and New York there's a great fan rivalry, but not much rivalry on the field because DCU has been so dominant.

Between DCU and LA there's not much rivalry between the fans (given the distance), but there's a great rivalry on the field.

11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ah, a truncation problem. Figures. Can we truncate the whole franchise? ;)

12. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United

Tina said he was going to score on us......we cannot allow this to happen. It must not.

13. jgildea8

jgildea8 New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Capitol Hill

He cut his hair so I am not sure that we should call him 'Tina'...
    I was thinking Fredo. Your nothing to me now!

14. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA

Don't be so harsh. Let's meet him halfway. He can score for us.

15. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA

If he could do that we wouldn't have traded him.

16. DCU_Rick

DCU_Rick New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Right behind you.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Zing!

17. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United

Given his name, and that he now plays for the Galaxy, I'm more in favor of giving him the Sonny treatment. :D

18. jgildea8

jgildea8 New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Capitol Hill

He was sonny to me when he was here! (James Caan is much cooler than the mouth breather that played Fredo)
    Now he is dead to me...ie. he has become Fredo instead.

edit: Wait... did you mean that you were going to beat his sister in Baltimore and wait for him to stop at the tool booth and then whack him? Because if so Kudos sir!

19. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, I certainly wouldn't cheer for him, but a polite smattering of applause when he's introduced, followed by 90 minutes of "reject", then a polite smattering of applause when he leaves the field.

That is until he does something heinous, like yell at fatbastard (oh, wait....), or kiss his flaming carrot, or score and rub DC's nose in it.

20. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA

Usually talking about Cobi when you say that...

21. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"I never thought you were a bad consiglieri, Tom. I thought Santino was a bad (striker), rest in peace."

Don Corleone talks to Rongen

22. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005

[​IMG]

I didn't know Cobi was a "chupacabra"!

[​IMG]

There must be something in the water in La-La land!

23. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To win this match we have to swarm Donovan and make Quaranta play defense. He can play defense but he doesn't like to do it, and he knows he is expected to be an attacker with LA, not a defender.

And can we just shoot the ball, instead of finessing it into the net?

24. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

Not yell at Santino? He's been one of LA's best players since getting sent there, and he's one of the easiest players to get in the head of. Hell, he even stopped, mid-game, during an Open Cup match a few years ago at the Soccerplex to yell at DC UNITED fans.

Everyone talks about getting in Donovans head, but some of his best performances in MLS (and against DCU) have been when fans have taunted him excessively. I still remember a few years ago as Donovan was coming to the tunnel at halftime and someone gave him a few good lines about his sister. Landon just stopped and stared at the guy for about 15 seconds straight, eyes throbbing and veins popping out on his face. He came out in the second half and the guy taunted him some more, to which Donovan said "this half is for you" and went on to score two of the best goals I've ever seen at RFK.

Meanwhile, Quaranta hasn't had a good game at RFK in who knows how long and will be putting even more effort into this game to try and prove himself.

If there's someone to try and get in the head of, it's definitely Santino.

25. chessplayer

chessplayer Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Richmond, VA

Tino and Landon won't matter in the game's outcome if they don't have the ball and exhaust themselves trying to get it.
    I think if we attack the LA midfield and deny service to Tino/Landon up top then they will cease to be a part of the game. Landon will come farther back to win the ball but Tino will stay up top, which will strand Tino and eventually tire out Landon. Hercules would be the X-factor here, but he doesn't seem to have the ball skills to make a play, only to finish one. It would seem like a good idea to pinch the middle with Olsen/Carroll and defy LA to beat us on the sides; I don't think they can do that, and outside of set pieces their defense will have to do a lot of running all game to hang with Gros/Adu if we do use the width of the field well. And Gros/Adu's defense will be key here, so that we can attack their midfield and keep possessions from getting started. We have the personnel to run them off the field, and if Gomez is hurt then we can put Moreno in the middle, Walker up top with Esky, and keep on going. We learned on Wednesday's game that our depth can be effective if given time to hit a groove, so hopefully Nowak will use Dyachenko, Mediate, et al in the second half and keep building their familiarity with our attack.
    Over 90 minutes, if we hold our focus, I like our chances; if we lose our focus and our organization, which we are prone to do, then we are vulnerable to a quick goal.
    This would be a sweet win for us and is a great opportunity to bear down and reassert ourselves in the league.