Official LA Galaxy @ DC United Post Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've already posted that throwing bottles and the like at players is intolerable but behavior like Quaranta's, Allbright's, and then Donovan's is also unprofessional and leads directly to dangerous crowd behavior. Taunting opposition fans is subject to fine and suspension in England precisely to avoid such dangerous behavior. Those who throw things --if cuaght should be banned for life.

2. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you blame him for taunting the fans? Did you see the banners on the upper decks? Did you hear the chants from the stands?

If anything, I think that made him play better. Maybe we should've had nasty chants about him in Germany. Seems he performs better when people give him shit.

Be that as it may, I think the league should look at his taunting the fans and give him a fine.

3. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005
    Other than the one early chance he pinged off the post, Tino was pretty invisible tonight. I don't think he deserves very much of the credit for this victory. I believe the fans are upset that he was taunting when they had basically all wished him well. Just realizing, I guess, that he is now the enemy.

4. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Professional players have to take that crap from fans and play on.

5. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005
    Unless you're Tiger Woods, and then you can have the fans expelled.

6. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. My thoughts exactly.

7. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I heard the chants, I was chanting them, and yes I saw the banners. He is a 'professional' player is he not? He should have the class not to come and taunt the fans. This is the reason he left his club in Germany. IF he tried that anywhere in Europe he would be in the hospital right now. SAD SAD SAD ********ING CVNT!!! I wish he would have come just a bit closer to us.

8. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    My section gave it to Donovan! I was a proud DC supporter tonight

9. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in Europe fans that are caught throwing things at players are banned for life.

10. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LMAO

11. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right - but face it: Dc United is the United States of MLS. Our domination has made us targets and people love it when we get knocked down a peg or two.

:D ;)

12. finalcountdn

finalcountdn New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Totally agree here. Donovan completely provoked the cheering section. How do you expect the crowd to react in this situation? This isnt bible camp. A large group of rowdy fans aren't going to "turn the other cheek." Of course the guy's gonna get a water bottle thrown at him, there are no right or wrongs about it. You, Landon, should not have provoked the crowd in the first place. And also, Landon, when you see the water bottle on the field don't act so self-righteous and innocent. You knew damn well you weren't gonna get away with that little celebration of yours. The guy on the field should be the bigger man, and it's as simple as that.

13. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping next time he comes to play at RFK the fans don't "give it" to him. I'd rather not have him be inspired again like he was tonight.

:D

14. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree about the bottle throwing, but aren't you positing a double standard here? Our fans can be as obnoxious as they care to be to the opposition, but heaven forbid that one of their players responds in kind. Apparently that's "unprofessional."

Get real. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

15. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is funny.

So are their "professional fans"? You know, the ones who can endure a game like this and not think they have the right to throw a bottle at a player or taunt him?

Just curious.

16. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People who throw things at players are despicable. They should never be allowed to go to games, regardless of whatever perceived "provocation" they are reacting to.

I hope they were caught. If I had seen who did it, I would happily point them out to the cops.

17. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I saw the banners up on the upper decks tonight before the match and I thought at the time that whoever but that stuff up there was giving the other side a lot of incentive.

18. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's obviously too much to think that the crowd would go "Damn, you know, we have provoked him with banners and chants, and instead of getting in his head and throwing him off his game he stuck it up our ass!!!"

:D

19. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005
    What did the banner say? The TV broadcast never showed any of them.

20. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Words to the effect of:

Hartmann, Bill Buckner of MLS

Game ticket $100; Plane Ticket $1000; Landon Donovan, worthless

Donovan +10=0

and one other, not terribly offensive one that was taken down before the game.

21. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um....hello. I realize it's all a bit heated so I just wanted to make sure my words (other forum) are not taken as mean-spirited. Thanks for not giving me too much crap for wearing the Galaxy jersey to the game and actually talking with me more than when I'm not wearing any jersey. And then, heck it was the Galaxy who needed the points, and still might not make the playoffs, while DC United, regardless of the playoff results, will finish with yet another historically dominant season, when the odds are so stacked against that possibility every year with the parity rules....and Chelsea....and Real Madrid :)

22. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Ah it seems they were both recovering from a "knee ailment"

23. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Man, what a disappointing game. I was really disappointed in Tino's behavior. We gave him our best over the years and he tells us to F&*C off. He's dead to me.

The worst thing is that I took a group of 6 Eruosnobs to the match tonight. The abuse MLS took tongiht was horrible. We might have been OK with some of the terrible play by Walker, Simms, and others, but Erpen had to make that awful pass. It will take me a year to get those guys back to RFK. At least they thought the atmosphere was good.

My thoughts on the angry dudes throwing stuff. They were really mad and I love their passion. They just need to chill a little. Maybe don't hold anything during the game:eek: . I'm sure they regeret it. Lay off the hate.

24. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said anything about "professional fans"? I simply said that Donovan, being a PROFESSIONAL soccer player should have more class than to come taunt the fans. There is a reason there are two sides of the stands. People like you can sit down with you hand folded neatly in your lap while eating some popcorn and having a conversation while the supporters of the team can chant what they damn well feel like. Tell me, what would the chants be like if taunting was not allowed? Vamos United can only last for so long. As for throwing the bottles while the dont have the right to do this it is understandable. These people have a great passion for the team and he mocked them, what do you expect them to do? Appologize for the banners and ask him to come for dinner?

Ps. you have used the wrong their, it should have been there.

25. Xerxes

Xerxes New Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Arlington VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yeah well the result sucked for us, but it was good for MLS in general, and thats cool, we can afford that, as you point out, We are so dominant that the occasional loss (only our 3rd of the season! oh no we are ********ed!) doesn't really kill. Congrats to LA, who were clearly fired up for the game. But come the post season, if LA even makes it that far, if we playLA when it matters we will shaft the Galaxy the ass and make Landon suck Jaime's santorum-stained dick... :)