Official Kansas Wizards @ DC United POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I thought Walker did a very good job in the first half but then his form dipped severely in the second stanza. I'm actually pretty surprised at all the negative responses he's receiving here.

2. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's only valid if the forward that's currently playing isn't sucking -- which was the case there. It would have been hard for Jamil Walker to be any less effective. He needed to come out in favor of someone who had even the tiniest chance of getting the job done, because Walker sure wasn't gonna do it.

3. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I don't agree with Daniel that posts like Ben's etc. are trolls, this, OTOH, is. Repped.

4. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus christ.

5. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you expect otherwise? The Nationals had played in RFK two days before; so they had the shortest time period of the year to do the changeover. And during that time, it rained four inches. While they were doing the changeover. Everyone knew (or shoulda known) that the pitch was gonna be in terrible shape.

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Negativism?
    Kansas City - 27 goals in 17 games (4th of 12)
    DC United - 22 goals in 16 games (tie for 7th of 12)

7. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but that's not because we're playing negatively. That's because we're sucking at playing positively.

8. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A slight variation on my thread of a few days ago: "Adu and Gomez. Do 1 plus 1 Equal 2?": When they are on the field together, regardless of whether or not they are both nominal midfielders, it seems that only one of them plays well. My original thread was about what seems to happen when they are both trotted out as midfielders, but last night, with Adu moved up to forward, the same thing happened: One did very well, the other disappeared. What's up with this? Is the only explanation that Gomez lacks fitness?

9. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Read Gomez's piece on MLS chat. He does play at a slower pace, because that's what he learned in Argentina. Last night, I don't think either disappeared in the first half. However, Gomez got nicked or pulled something at the end of the first half, but he did go the full 90. I don't think it's a fitness issue because the 6:00 PM start left the pitch in the full sun for the first 45 and it was hot as hell in the bowl as well. You can learn to tolerate heat and humidity, but it's effects are additive and some players, regardless of cardiovacular fitness, will simply wilt sooner than others.

10. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Wiz win at RFK for the first time in 9 years and it just has to be the f'ing time I bring first timers. Luckily, they had such a good time at La Barra things turned out OK and they are coming back Friday night :D

11. Primate

Primate Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't recall our full strength offense doing much better.
    It wasn't lack of chances, it was lack of finishing...again.

12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.
    ;)

13. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    If BC is going to sit, unless PN is looking for a more offensive player, I would not be surprised to see Kuykendell.

14. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    I think Simms would be the likely (and justified) starter if Carroll were to sit, but what the hell do I know?

On second thought, I guess Simms will probably start anyway because of various absences.

15. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Assumption that Simms was already starting. PN started both BC and Simms, yesterday. Therefore, if BC sits - who do you bring in...

16. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    D'oh.

If I'm Nowak in that situation, I see if I can find an extra pair of cleats in my size. :D

17. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have got to be kidding. Please tell me he is kidding.

KC plays a really drab,even boring, sort of game. Unfortunately, DC slipped down to that level.

18. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Why isn't ever - "Our guys didn't get it done. Dema Kovalenko needs to learn how to put it in the back of the net."? You had 17 shots. Finish one. We played with 3 defenders in the back, something we never do. Preki came on in the 72', not a defender. We played for the win, not the tie. We are just really weak up top with Wolff gone and Arnaud pulling an Esky this season. You had the better of the play, but it's not always "Bunker Bob killing the game" that makes you lose. Moreno would've finished one of them.

19. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    so we don't have any better options right now than Brian Carrol? He was solely responsible for the goal..as matter of fact he should have been given the assist.

20. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am mildly surprised at you -- you should know that stats mean sweet eff all in futbol. Kansas has earned their bunkering reputation. Anyone who saw MLS Cup 2000 will have a hard time believing that the wiz can play positively.

Congratulations on the win. It's no wonder the wiz really pack them in (weak pun) on game night.

Out.

GM

21. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Not while we don't have all our players around, we don't. Ordinarily, I'd say Simms is a better pick there, but he was starting due to Olsen's absence.

22. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the Kansas City team that won MLS Cup 2000 was a team that relied on their defense. That was the strength of the team. We had a couple of great attacking options, but an outstanding defense. We were able to score goals early and hold on for the win.

And since Kansas City is one of the few teams in the league without a big TV package, not many people have seen enough of the Wizards play since 2000 to realize that they have (GASP) changed! Kansas City now plays a more attacking brand of soccer, but without the skill players to carry it out. Hell, having had the opportunity to watch both teams play, I'd say that the Wizards play the same style of soccer as DC - DC just has players with quicker pace and a little more ability.

It is unfortunate that most people around MLS don't have the appreciation of soccer to realize that, but that is the reality of the situation.

Not a weak pun. Just weak. Kansas City - prior to this year - has had increases in attendance for five straight seasons. That's not a fluke. It's also not a fluke that when Lamar got his ass handed to him in the public forum and decided to divest himself of the Wizards to focus on his cash cow - the Chiefs - the marketing budget was slashed and corporate season ticket sales shrank to nothing.

There's a certain amount of fear and misunderstanding in the marketplace that translates into poor attendance on gameday. But there's a strong core of interested people who plan to be there for a long time.

In the mean time, we'll just soldier on here knowing that people will continually underestimate us, doing so at their own peril. I would say that we'll watch for you in Dallas for MLS Cup 2005, but we know that won't happen.

23. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    I know you meant 2005, so I'm not gonna harp on that, but yeah, it literally CAN'T happen. We're both in the Eastern Conf. now.

24. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the reality is that KC plays with practically their entire team back behind the ball the whole game and occasionally ventures out on a counter. I don't know how many times I noticed that KC had 8 sometimes 9 players within 10 yards of their own 18.

You just don't seek KC attacking with numbers. You don't any comitment to open up the game and push their opponent to the wall. Instead, its a very stale excruciatingly slow lets control the ball in the back approach. The transition game is virtually non existant. It is just that unattractive style of a soccer team trying not to lose.

25. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Meh, my thoughts on this game and the team and general are nicely summed up by Ray Hudson's quote re: posession and finishing.

DCU better watch it or they're gonna be blind with hairy palms soon. :eek: