Official Kansas Wizards @ DC United POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD
    Brought a newbie to the game. Should have known not to do it when DCU is playing bunker bob and his boys. What a boring bs game. There was no way that Kansas can generate any offense, they have to rely on a mistake or a free kick. They got the mistake, slid in the goal, end of story.

Other than the occassional flurry, DCU could not, or would not get enough bodies forward. Numerous breaks down the sideline were met with one DCU player in the box and maybe one more on the way against five or six blue jerseys. I have no idea what the other DCU players were thinking but it sure wasn't about getting a goal. I don't know if they were tired, lazy or instructed not to send bodies forward to support the attack. They have too much talent to play in this crappy way.

Nice crowd, nice night, for sh!t game. DCU needs to start thinking abut putting more effort into the attack, and soon, or start thinking about what they plan to do during their very long off season which will be starting in mid-October.

2. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need Moreno. And Quaranta. And Namoff (to play right wing) unless Guppy reclaims the left side and Gros switches.

3. vincero

vincero New Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Was at the game. Great Crowd. Wish the same could be said for the majority of the team.

Kovalenko's production has taken a Ruizesque dive and he is not the threat he used to be. I know others feel his motivation and heart are key to this team, but I was seriously hoping to see Stokes come in for him. He did not deserve the captains armband today.

Carrol, I remember why I dont think you should be starting for this team. Why does he start over Simms(other games) and why sub Simms out and leave him on. When the team is back at full strength I would like to see him on the bench.

Gomez just did not seem to want to be out there today for large stretches. This game still counts if Jaime does not play Christian.

The whole team overall seemed pretty lazy. Walking nonchalantly, back to the action, seemingly trying to conserve energy, content for a tie.

Gros was possibly the MOTM. Shut Klein down forcing him to the other side. I would have liked to see him come to the middle more instead of the crosses to areas void of DC players.

Freddy played well. A bit harsh to criticize his right foot when others out there were merely torsos. He delivered many a good ball and was the genesis of most of DC's threatening play.

Would have liked to see Kuffour start. Walker better as a late game sub.

4. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game.

The result is totally BEAT.

we ran the table for 70+ minutes and let in an easy one. A few random thoughts:

I saw Gomez give Adu the evil eye twice for taking a shot when there were mutliple teamates in the box.

Freddy needs to be able to finish chances, especially when he puts on some of the amazing moves like he did tonight.

I saw the ball bounce about 6" off the turf on one of the seams in the corner near La Norte - the pitch really looks like sh!t.

Let me repeat that: the pitch really looks like sh!t.
    Losing at home is UNSAT.

The good news is we only have 8 more home games in MLS.

This loss is complete bullsh!t. Never should have happened. Never.

5. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I was talking with JP after the game, and he agreed about the turd, I mean turf.

Oh, and I shook hands with Brandi afterwards, too.

My cousin was very impressed.

La Norte rocketh my worldeth. Vamos United!

Apparently, United kind of sat on the Jaime Moreno injury information; it was not reported in the Post this morning. The ESPN crew found out only in the afternoon.

6. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    And now we're back out of the playoffs.

Going from 3rd place to 5th place from week to week is getting a little annoying..

San Jose and their 7 game unbeaten streak, along with a probably very cheesed off Ronald Cerritos is up next on Friday at RFK.

We simply have to get 3 points out of this match with away games at KC and LA back to back.

Simply put, tonight was a wasted opportunity.

7. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Terrible game. We looked listless after the 15th minute.

We had enough chances to win and didn't take them. Ten minutes into the second half I predicted that we'd lose on a screwup in the back. Wish I hadn't been right.

Freddy played with more fizz than usual and was our most dangerous player. I wasn't impressed w/ Walker. Brian Carroll really needs to pick up his game.

Was Gomez hurt? He played that way.

Without Jaime, Tino, and Olsen, there was no movement in midfield. Everyone was standing around. As a result, the person with the ball had no targets to pick out.

I was happy to see Matt Nickell come in. Of course, I always like seeing the kids play.

Sad to say, that was a big loss at home against a conference opponent.

8. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the deal with the splotchy sod? On TV the field looked like ass.

9. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked worse in person.

Completely unsatisfactory.

Completely.

BTW, we are going to rue this loss. Mark my words. This is the los that puts us in the gutter.

I mean, Gomez was gassed early in the 2nd half - that just shouldn't happen.

Geez.

10. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wynalda likes to hear himself talk. Yes, it was a bad giveaway at a critical time, but given the stage of the game and the amount of energy Adu expended to win that ball, I'm putting that misplay solely to fatigue.

11. doctorjim

doctorjim New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    all of which proves that Eric doesn't know what he is talking about. The problem with the play was that Gomez stood still waiting for the pass, rather than moving towards it.

12. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Today was YFC autograph day after the game.

I'm glad we did not stick around.

Of course, I told my girls that we will meet the team next week.

They better win Friday.

The only positive was that big crowd and that the bouncy side was great.

13. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's only one person to blame for this loss:

Andy Mead.

14. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Andy's camera shutter startle Carroll into turning over the ball? :D

Congratulations to Andy for breaking his road win drought. Not happy that it came at our expense, but after Andy soldiered on taking all the pictures of us celebrating in Carson, he was due some good karma.

15. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy broke nothin'. He's covering the Gold Cup, if he was here, those close chances become lucky goals, and Nicky walks away with a clean sheet. :(

16. LFC727

LFC727 New Member

Jun 6, 2005
    Baltimore
    This is my first post, and it could have come after just about every game this year and probably last as well. You can't have someone in a central midfield position that gives the ball away. Carroll gave the goal/game away tonight, plain and simple.

It's surprising that we haven't lost more games because of him. If Arena sees enough in Simms to call him into the national team, shouldn't Pete see the same.

This was a game that we should have taken 3 points from.

17. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Playing without Moreno is like playing 2 men down. Gomez is the 60 minute man, but this is soccer, not sex. He's got to get 90 minutes fit more than once a season. I fear August 15 will be too late for the mystery Argentine to pull the fat from the fire.

18. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Yes, the loss sucks big ones, but we were missing almost all of our starting offense. Maybe I'm just looking on the bright side too much again, but when you play understrength, its very rare that a beautiful, picture perfect win will come about. We played well enough for what we had out there, and I was especially happy with Freddy's play, Gomez I really was not impressed with today, but he can't always have stand-out games.

The funny thing is, as soon as Carroll gave the ball away, I knew it was a goal, and sadly I was right.

19. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ran into him in the parking lot after the game. He was definitely here.

20. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Andy was there. A lot of the KC players had nothing but smiles for him. Honestly, he deserved to see them win. Just wish it had happened in Columbus.

Good on you, Andy!

Sachin

21. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Ok, honestly, wtf was up with GUTIERREZ elbowing Freddy straight to his jaw when the ref was looking away. Dema should've snapped his leg in twain.

I hope the disciplinary committee gets a look at this, it was so blatant, but we all know, of course they won't do jack... :mad:

22. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Leave Walker in?!? He was standing around not doing crap in the second half. He wasn't even bothering to give half-hearted pressure. Taking him out was exactly the right move. There weren't many options available off the bench.

We really missed Jaime. Anyone know how seriously hurt he is? Gomez had a subpar game and did seem to hurt himself near the end of the first half. I think when he stretched for that header he may have pulled something in his abdomen or groin.

Wilson had his worst game for DCU.

Freddy was brilliant in the first half but disappeared for large parts of the second. The team seemed to use up all its energy in the first half and was flat in the second.

I thought the first half was very entertaining. Both teams were going forward and playing quick. The heat may have taken a lot out of everyone though. I wouldn't criticize KC too much. They put a lot of pressure on the ball in their defensive half. We managed to use speed to get aorund them in the first half but didn't finish. That's been the story all season.

Carroll had a very good game until he coughed up the goal. Too bad for all of us.

Was does Gros get played on the left? He's got no left foot and always has to cut back to try and cross or shoot with his right. Why not have him om the right so he can get end line and cross them in?

23. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Gros was one of the bright spots. You must have him confused with the black hole that was the right wing.

Honestly, what's with Kovalenko? He used to come out fired up and intense, but he had absolutely no punch in this game. For that matter, he's been like this for the last month or so. He's about as tame and docile as Carroll, and that combo has been a drain on this team for the past few games.

24. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly, Carroll likes him a lot..... :confused: !!

25. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Come on man, what is the deal with that attitude? I know not many KC guys venture over here for fear of meeting a warm welcome like the one you gave. Coming over and talking constructively about the game is NOT trolling. Neither is disagreeing with the opinion that KC is boring. Let me repeat, disagreeing with an opinion does not equal trolling.
    And on that note, KC is not nearly as boring as they used to be. Do they go on the road and play more conservatively? Yes, and it makes sense, and it works (as proof tonight). Sports are about results. Coachs don't keep their jobs (unless your in LA) based on how "exciting" their team is to watch. They keep them by winning, and that is what Gansler's strategy is intended to do. Rip the strategy all you want, but many more teams do it. Espcially the successful ones. Do you think DC came out guns a blazin' when they drew 0-0 in KC? No, they played just as conservatively as KC did tonight.

The first half was very good, fast paced, up and down soccer. Anyone complaining about that half being boring is delusional. The second half slowed a bit, probably due to the weather, and DC had control. KC, as you said, did what they were set out to do by stealing a goal and holding on for dear life. And it worked. Credit to them, but also credit to DC for a very well played game that just didn't see the chances pay off.

Ok, I'm done "trolling" now. Sorry if I offended anyone. :rolleyes: