OFFICIAL injured Freedom players status thread

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FearM9, Aug 1, 2002.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    1) Has Stoecker had her surgery yet on her knee?

2) WTF is Mak's status? I was told that she was at Summer's last night cheering her Finnish butt off. :D

3) Any word yet on Ann Cook's knee? :(

2. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    As soon as Ann Cook went down I asked Mak if she would be ready to go on Sunday, she said she hoped so.

3. asfoolasiam

asfoolasiam New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Takoma Park
    Club:
    DC United
    Yes.

4. shmigle08

shmigle08 New Member

Nov 6, 2000
    NC
    She was on crutches after the game yesterday.

5. SomebodyOrOther

SomebodyOrOther BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 8, 2002
    Over here!
    Cookie

I came over here to see if you guys had better info than I did on Cookie's injury and I guess not. This is all I've seen so far, from Soccer America:

Sunday, August 4 (7:00 pm ET)

ATLANTA (10-7-1, 31 points) at WASHINGTON (9-5-5, 32 points)

(TV: CSN-DC, WB 36)

Key Players Out: Atlanta - none; Washington - D Lindsey Stoecker (ACL tear-L), M Ann Cook (knee strain-L).

Referee: Kari Seitz.

I have no idea if that report is remotely accurate, but I haven't seen any mention of Cookie's knee anywhere else. Seeing it called a "strain" in print gives me some hope that the injury is not that bad. Not that I don't want the Freedom to have it's share of bad luck so the CyberRays have an opportunity to get into the playoffs :D, but I still like Ann Cook so hearing she got injured made me really sad.

I guess the good news for you guys in that report is that Anne Makinen is not listed as injured.

OK, please go lose to Atlanta or New York now. :D

6. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    Re: Cookie

lol, no way! Go Freedom!!

7. asfoolasiam

asfoolasiam New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Takoma Park
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Cookie

According to the Washington Times, it's a torn left meniscus:

8. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    She's having arthroscopic surgery and still hopes to be available Aug 17th? Isn't that a little too optimistic? I thought recovery for arthroscopic knee surgery was more like 2 or 3 months.

9. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    It's my understanding that there are certain knee surgeries that don't require alot of recovery time.

Where is Dr. Lane when you need him?

10. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. rbatc

rbatc New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    San Fran. Bay Area
    Meniscus repair is generally a 4-6 week rehab. Most post-scope rehabs are good to go at 4 weeks, some hit 2 or 3 weeks, just depends on how well the individual rehabs and heals.

12. Soccersuzie

Soccersuzie New Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Orange County
    who hurt cookie dammit?! :mad:

13. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
    Kelly Lindsey had arthroscopic surgery and was back on the field 3 or 4 games later (including 1 or 2 Wed. nite games). If her injury was anything like Boof's, she could be back in time.

14. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    In the Freedom v Courage match Unni Lehn had the ball on the near sideline just beyond midfield in the 14th minute when Ann Cook comes in to challenge her. She planted and they kinda collided. Unni Lehn stayed up while Cook was in pain on the ground.

15. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, no way was it a foul on Lehn - looked like either the collision or a funny landing caused the problem.

16. shmigle08

shmigle08 New Member

Nov 6, 2000
    NC
    Thanks for the updates on Cookie. I noticed her at the game yesterday, again on crutches, with a huge wrap over her knee (come to think of it, it did look like post-surgery wrap), and getting carted around on the buggy.

Stoecker seemed to be walking well with a slight limp.

17. SomebodyOrOther

SomebodyOrOther BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 8, 2002
    Over here!
    Sounds similar to what happened to Danni Borgman in a collision with Lehn, from what I've heard. I didn't get to see either injury so I don't know for sure. Still, it's probably worth noting that running into Lehn seems to be a really REALLY bad idea.

Since the Freedom beat Atlanta yesterday, and there's no way the Rays can pass you to get into the playoffs, I can now be a Freedom fan again (as my 2nd fave team). Please, proceed to now win all your remaining games unless by some miracle the 'Rays make the playoffs and meet you guys in the final (then you must lose). :D

18. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Stoecker looked far better walking around the field yesterday than she did at Old Glory just a week and a half earlier, so I guess progress is being made.