Official Indian(South Asian Champs) Football Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by sahbekham_pactwinner, Jan 4, 2006.

1. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Chances of india (SOUTH ASIAN CHAMPIONS)

How (where) do you buy a set-top box in India, and what kind of provider do you need? Is it a regional cable provider or satellite? Also, is it limited to specific few cities like Bombay? Do you know if you can get one to work in Banglore?

Sorry, that's a lot of questions. But that's the first time I've heard of set-top boxes in India.

2. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005

hey i am smart and winner as the name suggest..........:D

P.S. sometimes its healthy to boast lol
    By the way, ur post in indian celebrities was defective as no picture of JOHN ABRAHAM came:cool:

3. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

in bombay you can get it from your regional cable provider... it costs about 4500 rupees and theres no additional fee - its a one-time investment - even your monthly bill does not increase (ours in bombay is 400 rupees/month)... forget the 900 channels, the clarity and reception alone is reason enough to buy it...

id gone home to india after two years this winter, having only travelled to the UK and europe in the meanwhile cos i couldnt afford long vacations, so this was a new concept to me... i wanted to watch a prem match and our cable guy switches the frequencies of star and espn depending on the programming, so that people can watch the more popular programme with better reception... well, we couldnt watch both espn and star once, so i called him up to tune it so that we could...

came over in half an hour, told me it was out of range on our tv (and its not like we have a bad tv), so i was miffed cos wed only recently bought a new tv...!

he suggested this set top box thing, so i said i wanted to see a demo cos i wasnt quite ready to buy his claim about immaculate reception and 100s of channels...
    well, he came back within 20 mins (we live in pali hill, bombay and the cable guy is just down the hill) with a demo piece... i decided to buy it immediately and called my dad at work, threatening to pay for it myself if he didnt! ;)
    well, obviously hed have none of that, so he paid for it! :p

anyway, the cable guy said itd take about 3-4 days for them to get a new piece and i was having none of that so i told him to leave his demo piece behind until he got us the new one... after conferring with his boss, they agreed and we've been enjoying 900 channels of digital quality reception and entertainment ever since (incl satellite radio plus international channels like bloomberg, RAI TV and RTP internacional)... bloomberg itself costs a crazy amount to order separately in india, so as soon as my dad saw that it was included he was chuffed and that was his 'paisa vasooli' right there! :)

4. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Interesting story. I'll do more investigation on this in the Bangalore area and some other adjacent areas next time I'm there.

5. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I too have the set top box(volarodesk). But only MUTv, Primasports (a syrian channel), and a channel with an eagle's symbol and the number 5 below it ( an arab or persian channel) show football. MUTv, mostly have reruns of the matches during those days when Man Utd had something to be proud of. In every week, the 1999 Champions League final goals are showm atleast 4 times. Suprisingly they do not show the games lives, and I have to switchover to ESPN or Star sports.
    Primasports shows live games from French league, with arabic. I generally do not watch those. The 'eagle' tv shows some iranian club matches. Real Madrid Tv I do not get. Do they just air interviews of the players and match repeats, or do they show live games?

6. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005

Only 12 DAYS TO GO before we face the asian champions, Japan in JAPAN.

LOL, any predictions.:D

7. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway

India playing away in Yokohama in 2 degrees ? Its going be tough for Japan to even get a draw :D

8. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005

lol, but any predictions.

9. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

3-0 to Japan, is what I predict

10. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004

According to my personal anticipation, the ultimate ranking would be

1. Japan
    2. Saudi Arabia
    3. Yemen
    4. India

11. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway

I believe that India will win 3-1 ;)

12. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005

Hey we are actually taking this match very seriously. we have already started training for the match against japan last monday. Captain Baichung Bhutia started yesterday.

http://www.indianfootball.com/index1.html

Hopefully our indian coach get atleast a draw against japan.

13. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

in japan? ill be happy to come back with anything better than a four goal loss!:eek:

14. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm going to watch Japan LIVE later tonight in a friendly against USA in San Francisco. (5 more hours to go, can hardly wait.) I'll be rooting for Japan to lose like crazy. They've brought mostly an Asian based team here. Most of the big European based players, including Nakata are not in the squad. I'll do whatever scouting I can do on Japan and report here.

But seriously, people. If you think India has any chance of beating this Japan team on their soil, in this weather, I have to call you crazy.

15. ____

____ New Member

Dec 4, 2005

Instead of pumping more money into marketing and waiting years for the Indian domestic league to develop, I think India would get more ROI by hiring a good foreign coach. Doesn't have to be a "supercoach" like Eriksson, Hiddink, or Mourinho. Just someone capable of taking India to the next level.

16. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bora Milutinovic?

He is the only crazy man I know of, who would love to take the job.

17. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Bora Milutinivic? The ex Nigeria, Costa Rica, China coach? He has taken 5 differnt nations to the WC. Who is he leading for 2006?

I would prefer a character like Otto Rehagel, who knows his team's weaknesses (and there are many) and makes a game play accordingly. How about Giovanni Trapatonni, he just got the sack at Stuttgart. Maybe the AIFF should hire him, before someone euro club takes him.

18. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I got back from the match some 90 minutes ago. Both USA and Japan brought their B teams with no European based players. The USA B team completely dominated and humiliated Japan B team in early goings. Shinji Ono and Alex Santos, 2 of best Japanese players were made to look completely useless.

Later on, Bruce Arena - USA manager - cleared his bench, and let a bunch of no-names pull on the USA shirt. There was no team chemistry present at that point. In that commotion, Japan, with their own substitutions scored a couple of crap goals.

What does this mean for India when they face Japan? In all honesty, even this poor looking Japanese B team should be ahead of Japan in fitness levels. And add the cold weather into the equation. I still don't think India has any chance. But I'm not telling you anything new, am I?

19. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And USA in 1994 too.

Nobody that I know of.

Ha! Trappatoni!!! That's one funny dude. I remember him from his Fiorentina days. He looks like he could have a heart attack any minute.

In all seriousness, I feel Bora Milutinovic is the only crazy dude who would take the India job in a snap.

20. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

This is the team for the freindly against HK, and for the qualifier against Japan:
    ==========================================================
    he latest Indian Senior squad (207 Asian Cup qualifiers probables / dated Jan. 28, 2006)

Goalkeepers:
    Subroto Pal (Mohun Bagan AC), Sandip Nandy (Mahindra United), Kalyan Chaubey (JCT Mills), Felix D'Souza (Sporting Clube de Goa)

Defenders:
    Irungbam Surkumar Singh, Mahesh Gawli, Nanjangud Shivananju Manju (all Mahindra United), Muttath Suresh, Anupam Sarkar (both East Bengal Club), Sanjeev Kumar Maria (Mohun Bagan AC), Naduparambil Pappachan Pradeep (State Bank of Travancore), Deepak Kumar Mondal (Mahindra United)

Midfielders
    Steven Dias, James Singh, Krishnan Nair Ajayan (all Mahindra United), Mehtab Hussain, Mehraj Din Wadoo, Manjit Singh, Dharamjit Singh (all Mohun Bagan AC), Xavier Vijayakumar (Hindustan Aeronautics Limited SC), Jayanta Sen (East Bengal Club)

Forwards:
    Baichung Bhutia, Syed Rahim Nabi (both East Bengal Club), MA Abdul Hakkim (State Bank of Travancore), Abhishek Yadav (Mahindra United), Praveen Kumar (JCT Mills), Shaji D'Silva (Indian Navy), Sampath Kumar Kuttimani (Hindustan Aeronautics Limited)

On standby:
    Rajat Ghosh Dasdidar (GK, East Bengal Club), Habibur Rehman Mondal (DF, East Bengal), Alvito D'Cunha (MF, East Bengal Club), Ishfaq Ahmed (FW, Dempo SC), Nicholas L Rodrigues (FW, Sporting Clube de Goa)

Replaced players (due to injuries):
    OUT: Samir Naik (DF, Dempo SC) / IN: Deepak Kumar Mondal (DF, Mahindra United)
    OUT: Shanmugam Venkatesh (MF, Mahindra United) / IN: Naduparambil Pappachan Pradeep (DF, State Bank of Travancore)
    OUT: Climax Lawrence (MF, Dempo SC) / IN: Sampath Kumar Kuttimani (FW, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited)

Chief Coach:
    Syed Nayeemuddin

Assistent Coach:
    Gabriel Joseph

Goalkeeper Coach:
    Atanu Bhattacharya

Manager:
    PK Banerjee
    ===========================================================
    From these, the only people I think play decent are Bhaichung and Abhishek Yadav. Does anybody have the Japanese squad for the game?

21. murlikt

murlikt New Member

Apr 14, 2002

Anybody who thinks coach Nayeemuddin is not taking the game serious should read this, he EXPECTS to win against Japan. It is close to impossible but maybe India has a surprise:

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1012378

I can tell you this coach is strict and focusses hard on conditioning, and he will make the boys play like a team like in the SAFF cup. India's last coach Stephen Constantine was a foreigner but the way the AIFF is run (corrupt, unproffessional) and the language and culture difference a foreign coach cannot do much it is better to train Indian junior coaches.

Abhishek Yadav has not played much since injury, look out for Syed Rahim Nabi and Mehtab Hussain. I also predict 3-0 to Japan but who knows

22. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005

India camp in delhi is in full swing. There have also been reports that indian captain bhutia has been injured but hopefully will play against japan.
    By the way japan were losing 3-0 to usa but ofcourse with their non- european based players but they came back with 3-2 after usa had substituted and basically had their C-team.

I hope NAKAMURA (DANGEROUS PLAYER IN THE JAPANES NATIOONAL TEAM) and nakata are not playing, and if they are india will surely lose.

23. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
  24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Strangely some of the things mentioned in this thread as being a hindrance to the NFL are the same issues here in the US. I'm a season ticket holder of the Revolution, and most likely get the best coverage of my team in the local papers that anyone in the league does.

But basically, MLS news is usually on the last pages of the papers if at all. Many papers have a game story the day after the game and that's the last mention of MLS till the following game.

Somehow, the league and fans have to rise beyond that. In both locales.

Just curious, are all of India's National team games on TV?

25. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

most if not all - but only the real fans will ever know of them... theyre hardly ever advertised... (and i dont mean 'hardly' by US standards - which is worth mentioning here!)