Official Indian(South Asian Champs) Football Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by sahbekham_pactwinner, Jan 4, 2006.

1. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Re: Chances of india (SOUTH ASIAN CHAMPIONS)

Only Indian player i ever knew was Baichung Bhutia... he's still on the team, right? How old is he? (I remember there were some segments on him in footballasia in the late 90's) Does he still play somewhere in England?

2. Re: Chances of india (SOUTH ASIAN CHAMPIONS)

India has no chance..not even worth discussing...

3. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He went to Bury, I think when they were in the third tier (then called the Second Division), but I don't think he was much of a success. Went back to India, I think with East Bengal now.

Hopefully the AIFF can get cleaned up and India can actually contend for some honors in the next few years. Qualification in 2010 would be difficult, but a huge step in the right direction. Soccer isn't nearly as big as cricket, but it has a solid fanbase and the national team looks to finally be improving somewhat.

4. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada

Thanks for the info, Ach. Hope he can help their national program improve further with his experience he got abroad.

Wait a minute, did I just respond to Achtung in Asia Forum? :D ;)

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's okay, I just realized there's now a Fire fan, a Revs fan and possibly a Toronto fan ... on the Asia boards. :cool:

6. Theo

Theo New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA

and here is a DC Fan :)

so how come India can't get their act together? is the football infrastructure really poorly managed? i have always thought (probably somewhat ignorantly) that with such a large population, India could easily be considered a sleeping giant. but i don't recall any international or club success of note at all.

perhaps i will begin a game as national team manager of India in Football Manager and see how that goes :)

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FWIW, my father has said consistently that it's just corrupt. Players are getting on the team because they know someone more than because they can play. I've not followed enough Indian soccer to know if that's true.

Theo, you must know Sachin, also from DC? He's a friend of mine ... met him in Korea at the last WC.

8. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada

And there's also two United fans and two opposing Scousers supporters at the same time. This is just too much. :eek: :D

9. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Indeed, it always surprises people when they find out I'm Indian. ;)

From what I hear, everything in the AIFF is about politics, including the administration and often the managers. I'm sure there are plenty of talented players to form a team that can at least qualify for the World Cup, but they often fall through the cracks in the bureaucracy and corruption that seem to stifle the federation and often the entire country.

I'd like to follow Indian soccer more, even if its not a very big sport in Gujarat where my parents are from. I try to at least watch their results, but its tough to follow the club game.

10. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada

That too, but I was just too used to seeing you elsewhere, mostly. ;)

Hope you can come by here with some Indian football info whenever you can.

11. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well the Asia forums do have a certain, em, "reputation" around BigSoccer. Looks like they got you in to help keep things in order.

12. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada

Yeah :eek: It's been bad enough to chase away quite a few informative and quality posters from here in the past... there is a decent number of quality posters here too, though. And I think with the recent structure changes (with separate forums for major asian countries) and abolishing of Asian Rivalries, things will become a bit better. More moderators will help too, I hope (since there weren't too many active ones beforehand).

I'm still new, but I'll continue to do the best I can.

13. Darya

Darya Red Card

Dec 15, 2005

India wont beat Yemen.
    Yemen soccer is better than india...just watch.

14. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada

On what basis do you say that, though?

I do remember Yemen U-17 squad being impressive few years ago, but do they have better footballing infrastructure/experience/coach/teamwork, etc. than India? Just curious as you seem pretty confident that Yemen will beat them... (unless this is all just light pre-tournament trash talk... in which case, never mind. ;) )

15. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq

I don't want to say something then I'll regret it,
    But yeah I think Yemen better than India.

16. nazzo

nazzo Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Kuwait
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

It was this festival where India played cricket againsty Kuwait's team (mostly Indians and pakistani) and then Kuwait played football against them. They scored two goals the started to change players so randomly that they stopped taking the match seriosly.

17. EstebanGranero23

Sep 25, 2005
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL, even the UAE's cricket team is Indians and Pakistanis.

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sadly this is very true...

Same here. As a matter of fact, my parents and I are also from Gujarat.

19. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nashua... used to go there every few months when we lived in Massachusetts, my parents had friends up there. Haven't been back in years though. I'd like to go in the fall, but I'd hate to be confused with the "leafers". ;)

Good article here on India's recent progress and SAFF victory.

20. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005

Nice to know they are some indians at big soccer.
    Any ways i posted that article: see post #21.........

21. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cool, must have missed it my first time through.

22. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005

Oh no probs it always happens the first time.............
    No one misses sahbekham's post:cool:

23. murlikt

murlikt New Member

Apr 14, 2002

Guys just a update on things the squad is selected for the Asian cup qualifiers

Probables: Goalkeepers: Subrata Paul (Mohun Bagan), Sandip Nandy(Mahindra), Kalyan Chowbey (JCT), Felix D Souza (Sporting Goa), Usrat Kamal (Air India)

Defenders : Sur Kumar Singh, Mahesh Gawli, NS Manju (All Mahindra) M Suresh (East Bengal), Samir Naik (Dempo), Anupam Sarkar (East Bengal), A.S. Feroze, Sanjiv Maria (All Mohun Bagan)

Midfielders: S Venkatesh, S Dias, James Singh, K.Ajayan (All Mahindra), Mehtab Hussain, Mehrajuddin Wadoo, Manjit Singh (All Mohun Bagan), Xavier Vijay Kumar (HAL), Jayanta Sen (East Bengal).

Forwards : Bhaichung Bhutia, Rahim Nabi (All East Bengal), Abdul Hakeem (SBT), Abhishek Yadav (Mahindra), Praveen Kumar (JCT), Shaji D Silva (Goa).

Reserves: Rajat Ghosh Dastider (East Bengal), B Narzary (Assam), Cedric Peixito (Vasco), Amulya Mondol (Air India), Habibur Rahman (East Bengal), S. Kuttimani (HAL), Nicholas Rodriguies (Sporting Goa).

Bhutia is in hot form since the SAFF cup he is doing really well for East Bengal. Other top players in the team are Venkatesh, Hussain, Wadoo, Gawli, Dias. This squad is missing other top players from injury but later they will be selected. As far as I know India is trying to organise a friendly match against Sudan soon, plus maybe a trip to Brazil if they can afford it :)

24. ____

____ New Member

Dec 4, 2005

India will be a football powerhouse within the next few years. It's going to be a real rumble for the 4.5 2010 WC slots (if it stays 4.5). So who will be heading to South Africa? The favorites have to include: Australia, China, India, Iran, Japan, Saudia Arabia, and South Korea.

25. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq

4.5 2010 WC slots? are you sure?
    No Iraq, Jordan, Uzbakistan or Oman? man thats Harsh.