Official: in Jeddah.. the LARGEST STADIUM IN THE MIDDLE EAST!

Discussion in 'Saudi Arabia' started by Hilaly, Jan 23, 2009.

1. ittihad4

ittihad4 New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Jeddah
    Congratulation!!!! Finally we can see the stadium in jeddah wowowowo !!! when will be the openning ANY IDEA :)

2. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    let the work start first,,,then talk about opening,,

3. jeera101

jeera101 New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Trondheim, Norway
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Hi everybody,

well, how official it is, look at the following link:-

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=119393&d=19&m=2&y=2009

What will the structure look like? I have seen a number of pictures of the oval shaped stadium as posted earlier on the forum but i have never seen it from a reliable source, so i just cant quote.

whats the feasibility of having 100k stadium in Jeddah?

Well it is really a good idea to have small stadiums as it is easy to pack them up but for Jeddah, I must say a couple of things..

Fans in Jeddah are not usual one, they wait long for matches in the queues and inside the stadium (club matches i mean) and interestingly not only for Ittihad x Ahly clash but even matches with Hilal, Nasr and Shabaab. The reason being the diversified fan distribution in jeddah. there are supporters for all these clubs in Jeddah and in a large number. Hence, for at least one third of the league matches hosted by ittihad, the stadium will be near full. I cant say anything very surely about Ahly bcoz there turn-up is not always satisfactory, except in a clash against Ittihad. But again for less attendance matches, we still have the old stadium and it can be used. It is being recently renovated (by fixing spectator seats, refer to the Arabic link http://www.okaz.com.sa/new/Issues/20090814/Con20090814298463.htm) and is state-owned, so the option is there.

In addition to this, Jeddah has been neglected for decades in the economic growth. All the lime-lights have been focused on other areas, and now, when finally Jeddah is no more the economic capital of KSA nor the biggest city, any development project can be brought here without any fear. Be it a new airport, the sky scrapers, a new stadium, transport infrastructure, industries, port renovation whatever.

I always wonder why we are not very keen in staging global shows which is causing cities and countries to earn a lot. A tiny town, Doha, has been brave enough to bid for Olympics after staging Asia games. Atlanta, which is a sixth of Jeddah, has hosted olympics. Why cant we just bid for something, at least take a step further.. anyways this thing has to be thought on higher level and now, as we have Elected Municipal Govt. I hope they know what the "Jamaheer" want..

Ya A5'9ar ma3ak Allah....

4. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    The feasibility? zero I'd say. a 50k stadium would be more realistic. Rarely is the 60-70k King Fahad Stadium in Riyadh full, even for Hilal-Nasr matches or NT matches.

uhhh..that link is saying they are renovating the stadium in Dammam. Not jeddah.

Saudi Arabia does not allow women to participate in sports therefore most of these events we are disqaulified from hosting. I still wonder why we never hosted the Asian Cup though.

Atlanta is also larger than Jeddah btw (5.5m>4.3m)

5. adelo

adelo Member

May 9, 2007
    Mother of Pigeons
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Welcome Jeera, just a couple of questions: What the hell are you doing in Norway? And how are you surviving Ramadan? I hear the sun almost never sets in summer up there.

6. jeera101

jeera101 New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Trondheim, Norway
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    yeah.. its a hell.. an ice cold hell...i think something like الدرك الأسفل من النار

i m doing masters in telematics...

ramadhan... i have to but i try to sleep as much as possible during the days. the fasting is 0400 - 2100 which is better than summer when the fasting is 0130 - 2330...

thanx for the warm welcome..

7. jeera101

jeera101 New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Trondheim, Norway
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    the link says it is Dammam renovation and the tender is given to the same company which has to renovate the Malaz and Jeddah stadia... and check it on ACL site, they have to do it before 2011...

Not only Asia cup, we can also host World Cup for Clubs

Atlanta is larger than Jeddah if you consider the Municipility which as 28 counties.. just like taking jeddah and all the villages around like thuwwal, bahra and so on....

8. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    You point is? The greater metropolitan area of Atlanta is larger than the greater metropolitan area of Jeddah? That's all Olympic planners care about.

Oh I see. That's good, I was tired of sitting on a concrete slab at al Malaz. :D

9. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Welcome jeera. Nice to see another Ittihadi around. Ramadan may be tough in Norway, but it's still a nice place. If that's the bottom level of hell I don't know what Gasseem is!

Regarding the stadium. I personally don't believe it will seat 100k. That size just doesn't work.I think the size will drop as the project progresses and reality sets in ...I hope.I expect the end result would be between 50-60k.

Regarding hosting anything. Never gonna happen. We're just too unfriendly a place.

As for renders, these are the newest I've seen. The good news is that it doesn't have a running track!!! Renders from Rody69:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. jeera101

jeera101 New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Trondheim, Norway
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    thanx HiJazzey... can anybody tell me whats the location of the project and what is the proposed date of completion.... whats the progress....