Official Hyundai A-League Thread

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by Andy TAUS, Jul 20, 2004.

1. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain
    Melbourne born here...and i totally hate the AFL but then again i think the whole A League sux coz hello...what name is Melbourne Victory? c'mon so dodgy, at least mix it up what Vissel Kobe of japan did....
    Victory+Vessle=Vissel...Dodgy name...and they lost their first match...
    and everyone knows Sydney FC is gonna like be the dominating club! coz it's SYDNEY BUddhadammit!

2. Champagne Football

Champagne Football New Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well, it's no worse than Perth Glory or Queensland Roar....but that's not to say I'm totally happy with it either! :rolleyes:

3. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain
    yeah agreed but they coulda just named themself a bit better coz the tabloids can easily like make funny titles when they lose...and their name Victory?

4. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    Victory, brillant name.

:)

5. Trussy in Oz

Trussy in Oz New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    I don’t believe that we have to worry too much about the media making puns about the victory name, in the oval ball obsessed Victorian media, I doubt if they will have any time for us at all, except to emphasize any perceived negatives, such as no goals or crowd trouble.
    Don’t hold your breath if you are expecting banner headlines on the back page of the Herald Sun, or on the front of the Age sports section.

6. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    Not complaining with the 2 page lay out yesterday in the Sun.

"Introducing Melbourne Victory" :cool:

7. Edgar

Edgar Member

As Andy_TAUS said, it will be Sydney FC.
    You cannot play LA Galaxy for 2 reasons:

1. You cannot play the CONCACAF Champions in the final.
    2. LA Galaxy won't be at the CWC, because Deportivo Saprissa (Costa Rica) are the CONCACAF Champions Cup winners.

Here's the schedule

Quarter-finals:

Match 1 11 Dec AFC - CAF
    Match 2 12 Dec Deportivo Saprissa (CRC) - Sydney FC (AUS)

Semi-finals:

Match 3 14 Dec Winner 1 - Sao Paolo FC (BRA)
    Match 4 15 Dec Winner 2 - Liverpool FC (ENG)

Match for 5th/6th place:

Match 5 16 Dec Loser 1 - Loser 2

Match for 3rd/4th place:

Match 6 18 Dec Loser 3 - Loser 4

Final:

Match 7 18 Dec Winner 3 - Winner 4

AFC CL ends on November 2nd. Status: Quarter-finals begin on September 13th:

Al Ahli (KSA) v Shenzhen (CHN)
    Shandong (CHN) v Al Ittihad (KSA)
    Busan (KOR) v Al Sadd (QAT)
    Al Ain (UAE) v Pas (IRN)

Al Ittihad are the 2004 winners.

CAF CL ends November 13th. Status: Eight teams have qualified for the group stage beginning 24 June.

Group A: Al Ahly (Egypt), Ajax Cape Town (South Africa), Enyimba (Nigeria), Raja Casablanca (Morocco)
    Group B: Zamalek (Egypt), Etoile Sahel (Tunisia), ASEC Abidjan (Côte d'Ivoire), Esperance (Tunisia)

Enyimba are the 2004 winners.

If the New Zealand Knights win the A-League, will they play in the AFC CL (most likely no)? NZ doesn't have a football league? :confused:

8. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Um - the draw is scheduled for 30 July in Tokyo - so how do you know that first round match-ups? Have you come back from the future? If so, who wins the 3rd at Doomben this Saturday.

J

9. Edgar

Edgar Member

Here you go, J -> link. PDF file from FIFA.com.

10. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    1. Teams A,B,C,D to be drawn among the following

We don't know which is which yet.

We do know Sao Paolo play in Tokyo and Liverpool in Yokohoma

J

11. Edgar

Edgar Member

Sorry about that. My mistake. :eek:

12. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Of course, as it turned out, you were exactly right.

J

13. Edgar

Edgar Member

Ha! Lucky me! :D :) Well, good luck to Sydney FC against Saprissa. ;)

14. Melbourne Croatia

May 21, 2005
    Croatia
    Went to the Victory v Glory Game last night.

Not bad, considering it was a pre-season friendly.

About 4,500 in attendence. Atmosphere not too bad.

Best thing Victory did, in playing at Olympic Park.

I didnt pay to get in. But i heard a few rumbles over the ticket price! $22.50 for an adult ticket. For a pre-season game! Other side of Melbourne at the Dome it was $18.50 for an AFL regular season game.
    You would think the league would have discounted tickets for pre-season games? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

15. liveroo

liveroo New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    g-town/aussie
    i haven't seen any of the recent games except for the goals on SBS, how has the quality been like? do the teams all play the more traditional british style or have we spawned a few sides that knock it round the park?

MelbourneCroatia, drawing on your name and i mean no offence by this question, but how has the local Croatian/Croat(spelling?) community responded to the Victory? because i was always slightly nervous of the language from the FFA about 'de-ethnicising" Australian soccer and making it more more mainstream. Are many Melbourne Knights fans likely to also support the Victory?

The questions above are also apt for any of Melbournes many migrant or 'ethnic' communities, in fact it would be highly informative to gain a greater knowledge of our football!! community.

thanks, Andrew

16. liveroo

liveroo New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    g-town/aussie
    Do you feel this might change because of News corporation and its links with the new league (foxtel broadcasting the games) and it also owning the herald sun?
    Murdoch has shown before that if negative press will affect his profit or the success of one of his ventures he will direct his reporters to change. We could have a scenario that the herald moves from extreme negativity to overt positivity, I guess we can only hope.

Andrew

17. Trussy in Oz

Trussy in Oz New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Well yes you can only hope,

Long suffering Australian football supporters know only too well, in this game you allways have to expect the worst, that way if anything else happens its a bonus!

In a way I'm hopping the media does leave us alone for a while, so that the "sheeping giant" has even more time to wake up.

18. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia

yes but they are only human and many in Sydney in the profession are league mad and choose to put in league articles and such like. But i suppose the powers that be will put their foot down and tell them to change.

hasn't changed here in the West for the Sunday times.

19. Melbourne Croatia

May 21, 2005
    Croatia
    The A-League Conspiracy!

In 1977, MelbourneCroatia and Sydney Croatia were denied entry into the NSL. And who was behind that decision? A bunch of anti-Croatian individuals, including the so called saviour of the game, Frank Lowy.

Lowy was the president of Sydney Hakoah. As we all now back in the day there was a fierce rivalry between the Croatia clubs and Hakoah clubs, in both Melbourne and Sydney. Frank Lowy as such is acutely aware of the Ustasa, and no doubt laps up the Communist propaganda. He hates us. The few A-League supporters on this forum would like us to think Lowy is a forgiving man.

Lowy pulled out of the NSL in 87. Why because, 1. His club was gay and had no supporters, 2. he had enough of dealing with the other ethnic clubs. They in his eyes were hampering his goals. He had been beaten and he couldn’t handle it. Again some people on this forum want us to believe he has no axe to grind.

His aim is not to help the game or to advance it. Yes the league may very well be a success, who knows, though I doubt it. But the fact is even if he does succeed, it does not change what his intention was, to destroy the ethnic element of the game that frustrated him for years.

Let’s not forget the problems we faced when MelbourneCroatia wanted to join the VPL for the 2004 season. We were denied entry. The club went to the FFA and pleaded for help. Lowy said there was nothing he could do. Nothing he could do? This is the man that disbanded the old Soccer Australia, replaced it with a new governing body, scrapped the NSL and replaced it with the multi-million dollar A-League. Yet we are meant to believe that he had no power to tell the sh1tty little organisation the FFV to allow us in. BULLSH1T!!! He could do it with a click of his fingers. It was a deliberate act to destroy the club. We had to endure 12 months out of the game, the club was on the brink of selling its ground.

He has denied a second division for the traditional clubs because he knows it a threat to the A-League. The FFA has not included us the Croatian community or any other ethnic community in the restructuring process. Continuously I hear John O’Neil talk about the bad old days of old soccer. How can that be interpreted as anything else than putting us down and rewriting Australian soccer history. Revisionist bullcrap.

The other A-League Melbourne bid Melbourne United was a superior entity than this pathetic franchise called Melbourne Victory. If you remember back to last year Victory were struggling with cash and had no soccer experts involved. Melbourne United on the other hand did, and it had the financial backing. It was a no contest. Yet Victory won a spot and United did not. Why? Because of the involvement of a number of Croats in the Melbourne United bid.

This year we have seen the Victorian and NSW soccer federation crack down on the ethnic clubs. Just look at the disgraceful way the NSW federation treated Sydney Croatia, look at the increase in fines for flares and other things in the VPL. Lowy and his FFA henchmen have their hands up the arses of the state federations.

Where were these Anglos who claim to be soccer supporters for the past 30 years. They didn’t want to support a club of another ethnicity, so why should we support what is an overtly Anglo club. How is destroying the ethnic element good for the game?

DEATH TO THE A-LAEGUE!

20. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    One of the requirements for entry into the A League was that your franchise must not be ethnically based. Several of the franchises were and hence where not accepted. Your post shows why this was enforced.

21. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    The NZ Knights are charging:

Family (2 adults & 2 children) - NZ$42.00 (A$38.13)
    Adult - NZ$20.00 (A$18.16)
    Student/Senior Citizen - NZ$10.00 (A$9.08)
    Child - NZ$5.00 (A$4.54)

Adult season tickets are NZ$170.00 (A$154.33) which includes free parking at North Harbour Stadium; normally NZ$10.00 (A$9.08).

As an aside what are you being charged for food and drinks at the grounds?

22. Melbourne Croatia

May 21, 2005
    Croatia
    Cans of mixed spirts at $7.00 a can. Beer $6.00 a can. Bucket of Chips $4.50. Hot Dog $5.00. Bottle of 600ml Coke $3.50!

This is what you get when you tender out the Catering!

23. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    About the same as what we are paying but the alcohol is more expensive at your end. That said we can't buy cans of beer only plastic cups.

24. Melbourne Croatia

May 21, 2005
    Croatia
    They pour the cans into Plastic cups!

Seems like a waste!

I thought we should be into reusing recylcing and that junk! :rolleyes:

25. Champagne Football

Champagne Football New Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    I haven't seen cans at a sports stadium in Melbourne for about 20 years!