Official hex draw reactions thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by scaryice, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    I just hope and pray the HDC gets a game...so I can go (or even better, Spartan Stadium HA!)...too bad everyone is predicting it will probably be either T&T or Panama there. Luckily, predicting stadiums isn't all that easy. I would say that Columbus for Mexico is pretty likely since that's really the only stadium I've seen quotes from Arena or players about as having any impact at all, or really and quotes at all about. That leads me to believe that Arena will put in a word for Columbus for the Mexico game, and will probably get it.

USSF may just suprise everyone and try to put the Mexico game in the HDC to show off its best soccer stadium...who knows? USSF hasn't been very accomodating of the USMNT's interests in the past in terms of fan base in certain areas based on the opponent, so maybe.

2. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't say am NOT happy, but I don't like it either... We open on the road against two tough opponets... T&T, we know what lengths Jack wanner gose to make sure T&T wins... The US players must be ready for anything from the ref who will most likely be Mexican or Carribian for this one.... Mexico in mexico city, we'll we know what it's all about... The hardest game is also the second... We gotta go to big bear or even LA Paz Bolivia to train for this one... In other words from games 1 and 2. We need 3 pts from at least one... The home games even out. we should take these.... I like the draw... I think we didn't get the worst of the wear, BUT the frist two games are killers, we're gonna suffer come feb and march... Hopefully we get at least 3 pts from Trinidad..

3. MT mojo

MT mojo New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Montana
    These 3 should be locked in:

TnT in August HDC
    Mexico on Labor Day weekend in Columbus
    Panama in October in Frisco.

The other 2 probably in Foxboro and KC since it sounds like Denver and Seattle have Gold Cup games going for them.

4. SlyFox11

SlyFox11 Member

Nov 20, 2000
    After getting to the Q-finals in Seoul 2002, The USSF will make sure Arena is going to get whatever he wants in terms of venues for the Hex. He's got some clout now, and he'll use it.

Arena's world revolves around convenience to get his players in and out and as difficult an atmosphere as he can for his opponent, while still catering to the MLS and to the big financial backers of soccer in the USA.

Guatemala - Time to pay them back for the Mazatenengo Jungle Crudhole. Hello Columbus. Or Maybe Foxboro if Kraft really needs a game.

Costa Rica -- The Ticos better like ribs, cause they are going to KC or Chicago. Probably KC.

T&T - The Euros are off in August, Good West coast date : LA Home Depot Center

Mexico - Columbus. El guerra fria. Fear El Lobo. It's our little Azteca. We'll truck in some snow and some Buckeye fans to hound them again.

Panama - Dallas. By then we're in and Panama is out of it, so it won't matter.

5. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Well I was there...it was a daytime game so the photo must be another game...and sorry to report there have been atmospheres like that, or better, many times- Columbus vs. Mexico, RFK vs. Guatemala (twice) RFK vs. Jamaica, RFK vs. Honduras (the game everone calls a nightmare, but this is sports, sometimes you lose). Bigger crowds, louder crowds, more feeling. Best "atmosphere" overall that I've really experienced in this country is DC United when it's a big game- it is more intense and the crowd is more into the game- edge of their seats and all (actually everyone standing). I know all those fans from other places hate hearing this, but it's true. Someday it will happen in lots more places.

"T&T - The Euros are off in August: LA" Actually the Euros are mostly off in June and early July perhaps. August is their run-up to the season starting and they are all practicing, all the time.

6. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you mean Harrison...never mind....
    The two games preceding the ast (in Gua and CR) are very tricky....So it would be great to have the US having clinched or be a point or three max away from doing so by this time....I don't like the trip to Mexico during our offseason, but what can you do///

7. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    I hope your Redhawks do beat the 800 pound gorilla. You should have beat them the last time you played. I am not an OSU fan and could care less if they play on the same day as the Nats. But, we all know how hard it is for the Crew to get people to the stadium on the same day as an OSU game. So I hope this match is played somewhere else.

The Disney networks will have college football wall to wall on this day, so I wouldn't be surprised if they push to have it on Sunday. If Bruce balks, which he should, expect another 10:00 am start wherever it's played.

8. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone else summed it up. Not an easy sked, but then again not a tough one either. The USA could easily win the opener at Trinidad on paper, but going into Mexico will be tough especially in the early going. Even more so is facing Guatemala shortly afterward in their first home game. Those first 3 are going to be key in their fortunes as will be the stretch of games in March, June, September, and possibly October.

The June (CRC, @ Panama) and September stretches (Mexico, @ Guatemala) will be a test for points, depending on the result by the end of March.

No games will be guaranteed, but if the US can play their game, get (three) points at home, and steal at least 2 wins on the road they can punch their tickets to Germany. Cheers!

9. Delsocfan

Delsocfan New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game really deserves to be shown on ABC. I think the home Mexico qualifier was shown there the last two times. If not this game then hopefully the game at Azteca will be shown (If ABC can make it down there for NFL preseason they can go for this one). IF all of the games are relegated to ESPN2 or worse FSW that would be a step backwards since we have had ABC coverage of at least 2 qualifiers each for WC98 & 02

10. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Remember, our domestic players won't be fully in form until the June match. I think we'll squeak by T&T, and lose @ MEX. That makes the home opener vs. Guatemala pretty big. I'm not real confident by the way we've performed to this point. Guatemala is a Jekyll & Hyde team for sure, but our overall play has been just as inconsistant, except we've had some very, very fortunate late game heroics. Hopefully I'll be wrong and we steamroll through early qualifying, but I'm cautious for now.

11. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Joe - Me Too!

See you there.

Joe

12. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Yeah - all the teams are better than T&T - that can't be fair!

13. St. Patrick

St. Patrick Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Milwaukee, WI
    Agreed. I was thinking Blackbaud for that match once I saw the date. If the match can't be played behind doors, then put it in the smallest, furthest-from-civilization site possible.

14. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    Initially, I thought that all six teams would have to play two consecutive road matches somewhere in the ten match schedule, however, I noticed that Panama and Guatemala do not. Panama alternates home and away, while Guatemala alternates away and home.

An advantage for them? Hmmm...

Meanwhile, I definitely like starting out with the first two on the road. The mission is clear. Take points on the road and commence the first home match on Matchday 3.

15. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Last time around, it set up like that for the US and Mexico. If you check out the schedule thread, early in that thread, you'll see the numbers and the correlating home/away dates. I was hoping the US would get either slot one or two but they went to Guatemala and Panama instead.

16. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I'm going to hold you to that.

17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    In my best George W voice,

Bring 'em on!

18. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    RFK will be in no shape for soccer. United is an afterthought and thery'll be too many kinks to work out before baseball. Besides, the field will surely be cut up by then and no way the Bruce plays on trays. Also, the crowd in DC for the game against Guatemala in 2000 was very pro-Guatemala.

I have Houston, Dallas or KC for the first game. Do you really want the team to travel too far after playing in Mexico City? Especially to face one of the tougher opponents.

Colombus should get the CR game.

TnT could be anywhere. Whichever site that the US would like to try out. Philly, Hartford, B-ham, New England, Chicago.

I hate to say it but Mexico on Labor Day needs to be at the HDC. With a well thought out ticketing plan in place.

Panama could be anywhere as well. But Philly, NE, Denver and Chi should be out of the loop. As should Htn, Hartford and Birmingham. Maybe put Dallas (Frisco)Here.

Thx,

Jay!

19. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I think there is a possibility of 10 to 11 points being earned here.

@ T & T is a W

@ Mexico is a D or a L but if the boys can play there game and pretend they are at the Cotton Bowl & not Azteca then It's a W

Guatemala is a W

Costa Rica is a W

@ Panama is a D if the field is horrendous like the last qualifier in the Semi-final round due to hurricanes.

Then when you face both T&T & Mexico at home That's 16 to 17 points as I feel both matches are a W. Then going on the road in either Guatemala or Costa Rica a D is needed for insurance at least one of those two road matches as I believe the boys will be qualified after their home match against Mexico.

So I will go thru it again

@ T&T W 3 PTS
    @ Mex D/L 4 PTS or 3 PTS
    Guat W 7 PTS or 6 PTS
    C.R. W 10 PTS or 9 PTS
    @ Pan D 11 PTS or 10 PTS
    T&T W 14 PTS or 13 PTS
    Mex W 17 PTS or 16 PTS (Qualified Spot)
    @ Guat D 18 PTS or 17 PTS (Qualified Spot)
    @ C.R. Not needed
    Pan Not Needed

20. cyberwarman

cyberwarman New Member

Jun 23, 2003

To think we will get points just about everytime on the road is crazy at this stage. Not that i want to think that way, but i am just saying, that all these teams are pretty decent and typically teams don't lose at home. Notice I said typically...Are best shots on the road are Pan and Guat and T&T.
    It will be very difficult to win in Mex and CR. Especially since we get nailed by officiating in CR really really bad.

Also, to win all the games at home is crazy, i am sure we will get a draw in there somewhere...not that i want it, but it just happens...

I see us needing a win or draw in game 9 to be qualified.
    It is never as easy as it seems on paper/screen.

21. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Not quite!! Winning all our home games, and a single tie, or a single victory away, will NOT guarantee one of the top 3 spots.

For instance:

CR wins all home games, wins away @Pan, T&T = 21 pts
    Mex wins all home games, wins away @Pan, T&T = 21 pts
    Gua wins all home games, wins away @Pan, T&T = 21 pts

USA wins all home games, tie @T&T = 16 pts OR
    USA wins all home games, wins @T&T = 18 pts

To guarantee it, we must win at least 2 away games, and hope we have a good GD.

22. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    if everything goes wrong I see usa getting only 12 points...

if everything goes right 21 points....

and realistically...17 or 18....

there'll be a couple matches where people will be disappointed with the end result, and call for arena's firing.....

the object will be to advance...and when that day is reached...any matches after it will be treated with the columbus 1-1 draw against the boyz...

the vast majority of point perdictors counted 3 in the usa column that day, and we only got 1....expect a couple more of these in the hex...

23. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Yeah, but we'd already qualified and Jamaica was fighting for their lives.

24. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    dfb547490 has a good point about circumstances of a match during the hex being SIGNIFICANTLY different than those PRIOR to the hex....

In counting USA points for the upcoming HEX, we could easily underestimate the reality on match day 10...

say USA has CLINCHED the HEX on matchday 10....and PANAMA needs a DRAW in the USA on that day...to clinch 4th place and a play-off

sure, usa walloped them 6-0 last time around.....but PANAMA would play with far more intensity than the 6-0 match....

still wouldn't bet my ira on panama, but 0-0 wouldn't be too strange....sit and bunker and yiou never know..

25. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas won't be ready until May at the earliest. Guatemala is out.

Best be (imo) would be T&T or Panama.

Mexico - no.

CR - no.

Houston - not really a viable option. It is a bigger venue (Reliant, I assume), and I doubt Guatemala, T&T or Panama will draw well. The teams that would - CR (possibly) and Mexico - no way they should be played in a venue where we don't have at least a fighting chance at a HFA.

Guatemala in the PNW or Boston would be good. (I'm not real comfortable with RFK since we've had problems with HFA there.)

CR in KC would be good - worked well in 2001.

Mexico - Columbus - makes TOO much sense.