Official hex draw reactions thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by scaryice, Nov 30, 2004.

1. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ten days is not "plenty to make the field nice." Mark my words - RFK will not get a game.

2. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    I know I was dreaming. It'll probably go to Dallas.

3. wva97

wva97 Member

Jun 8, 2002
    east coast/west coas
    You're kidding, right?! Costa Rica plays on fieldturf... for international matches!? What is this, MLS? Don't get me wrong, it's better than astroturf and playing in craters of grass and dirt, but can't FIFA regulate on this crap?

4. Mikeymike15

Mikeymike15 Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Atlanta
    I agree with most of your arguments....I personally do not like Artificial turf, however FIFA is allowing more and more teams in Europe to expand there use of the turf. Pele has even commented that his playing career would have lengthened had he played on the new artificial turf (again I disagree with).

But I'm not sure how you can state the Seahawks stadium does not have infrastructure to support large events.

5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Let's just forget about Blaine MN., Charleston SC, Birmingham AL., Alberqurque, etc. They are not getting any games. If there is a non-MLS city that is getting a game it would be one of the following:

1. Sad to say, but Miami. For some sad reason we go there, are treated like strangers in a strange land and play like crap. But we keep going back. Since we have no pure winter games, it would be unlikely that we end up here.

2. Houston - Don't know why, just a hunch.

3. Seattle - Once again, unlikely, but an option for early June.

4. NY/NJ - Metrostars are not really an MLS team.

6. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    It'll be in Columbus. Mark my words.
    They have. It's been approved for use by FIFA.

7. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Do we have some insider information?

8. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    You know you are probably right. But I still believe the USSF will be greedy--and ticket prices will be astro-freakin-nomical.

Not that I can blame them. Demand for that game will be huge.

9. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    The only thing I know is that March in Massachusetts in miserable. Just like me. Just the way I like it. Take that for what it's worth.

I have no beef with KC. They did the job last time.

Put Trinny in HDC. Mexie will be at the Ohio Fairgrounds, as it should be. I'll bring my wife this time.

10. cyberwarman

cyberwarman New Member

Jun 23, 2003
    I think you have to have Mexico in Columbus...We need to keep as much of home field advantage as we can get against the better teams we will play.

Any game down south is going to have to be a game we are going into with 100% confidence we will get the win, figuring we will be outnumbered as fans.

I think our biggest concern will be the 2 september games....playing a tough mexico game and then traveling to Guatamala 3 days later...that is going to be tough....then at costa....
    that could be an ugly stretch those 3 games and having our last game be a must win or tie to move on...

11. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    uefa has approved the use of field turf in cl games. There is a chance the new arsenal pitch will be field turf. I play on it and it is beginning to grow on me.

12. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    so have the players... and it warmed up on them too

real bad like

in short... they really, really don't like it

13. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goal should be to clinch by the 8th match. If we can start with a win at T&T, draw in mexico and a win in our first home match we can be well on our way. I think this is very realistic and Arena should settle for nothing less.

14. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    OSU at home vs. Miami (OH) on 9/3/05. Mex still in Columbus, same weekend?

15. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Not quite!! Winning all our home games, and a single tie, or a single victory away, will NOT guarantee one of the top 3 spots.

For instance:

CR wins all home games, wins away @Pan, T&T = 21 pts
    Mex wins all home games, wins away @Pan, T&T = 21 pts
    Gua wins all home games, wins away @Pan, T&T = 21 pts

USA wins all home games, tie @T&T = 16 pts OR
    USA wins all home games, wins @T&T = 18 pts

To guarantee it, we must win at least 2 away games, and hope we have a good GD.

16. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    What's he going to do if we don't start that way? Quit? Bench Donovan?

17. SeeJay07

SeeJay07 New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Any thought to having a match held at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia? They have held some great matches with Manchester United, AC Milan, Barcelona, etc.

18. Firefan

Firefan Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Ohio
    Perhaps CR will choose to play the US away from the turf at Saprissa :) Alajuela or the National Stadium could both host a game.

19. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had forgotten about that.

Having to travel the following week makes Sunday a no go - this is the same weekend stretch that we had to play Saturday morning to get ESPN TV time in 2001.

20. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Match Day 3 - Wednesday, March 30
    USA vs. Guatemala
    Columbus indeed- we can make it a tradition
    or Chicago

Match Day 4 - Saturday or Sunday, June 4 or 5
    USA vs. Costa Rica
    I think we need an exemption to play at KC, not sure we'll want to, not sure CR will go for it this time- I say Denver
    or Chicago

Match Day 6 - Wednesday, August 17
    USA vs. Trinidad & Tobago
    Foxboro
    or Chicago

Match Day 7 - Saturday or Sunday, September 3 or 4
    USA vs. Mexico
    Columbus, again

Match Day 10 - Wednesday, October 12
    USA vs. Panama
    Dallas

21. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    The Fieldturf at Saprissa actually helps us IMO. First, it ensures that the pitch will be good (albeit artificial) quality, regardless of the weather; second, the US has an endless supply of Fieldturf pitches to practice on, whereas i'd wager that Guatemala, Panama, Trinidad, and possibly Mexico don't have that luxury.

As for the draw itself...damn. With the exception of finishing up at home against Panama (guaranteed 3 points if we need it), this draw couldn't have turned out any worse for us. 2 games on the road to open up including one at Mexico, no cold-weather dates (closest thing we'll get is late March)...damn. 15, or at the very least 13, points in the heart of the schedule (games 3-7) is an absolute must.

As for the venues, I'd like to see this:

3-30 vs. Guatemala: Columbus Crew Stadium
    6-4/5 vs. Costa Rica: Gillette Stadium
    8-17 vs. Trinidad: Invesco Field (Denver)
    9-3/4 vs. Mexico: Columbus Crew Stadium
    10-12 vs. Panama: Gillette Stadium

22. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Our realistic goal should be 15 points at home, 10 on the road.

23. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    There is absolutely no reason why this game can't be played on Sunday September 4th..

NFL won't kickoff until the following weekend (they stated they will not play on Labor Day Weekend anymore)..

There shouldn't be any scheduling conflicts of any kind that weekend, provided they play on Sunday..

24. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    our realistic goal should be 15 points at home and enough points on the road to qualify as a top 3 team in the region.

25. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last time, Bruce did not want to play Sunday because they had to travel for a Wednesday game. I doubt he'd change his mind on that. Sunday is actually better TV wise because of the football issue, but I just don't see him saying OK for this one.