Official "Have Heaps and Burns Been Fired Yet?" Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Mike Marshall, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No?

Give it time. Can't continue to get the big decisions wrong and expect things to improve. And these two dunderheads have gotten nearly every big decision wrong.

$5 says June 17th.

2. mrt/MLS

mrt/MLS Member

Oct 11, 2003
    CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ill take that bet. I say neither one is fired by that time, much less both.

pwykes repped this.
  3. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (1)This team is less than the sum of it's parts and that says there is a coaching problem
    Answer: Get a new coach

(2)This teams talent level is not sufficient to be a Cup Contender and that says there is a player acquisition problem.
    Answer: Get a new Director of Player Personnel

TheLostUniversity and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is the "accountability" we were promised when Bilello and Burns were promoted? Just another of the lies this organization has foisted upon us.

Fire Mike Burns, patfan1 and Kraft Out repped this.
  5. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Based on past apathy and results I'm gonna say it's not gonna happen for maybe, a year at the absolute least.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  6. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference between these two bozos and Nicol is that Nicol actually had a decent track record. He had earned himself a lot of rope.

Heaps and Burns have earned NOTHING.

MLSinHD repped this.
  7. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say that yet. If the team continues to struggle and Heaps/Burns aren't let go by June, then there's an accountability issue.

8. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    I agree with this 100%. In order for either of these two to be fired, Kraft would have to give damn about the team - which he clearly doesn't.

9. kazakal28

kazakal28 Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Weymouth
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we should pepper the facebook wall to let Burns know that we still want him out. I'll go first.

10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. 2013 is another rebuilding year, this club can just play out the string and focus on the draft. I've given up my sliver of hope. As for Heaps, if history is our guide, Clavijo got fired in May of 2002, his third year. So my guess is Heaps will remain our coach this whole season and only get canned if 2014 starts off poorly.

11. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is that. This is Bilello's call, no? He may have to pass it by the Krafts, but ultimately I think it's his decision to make.

12. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The Krafts will take all the data into consideration and start measuring next November.

If the Pats have a buy that week.

13. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    Yes, in theory it would be Bilello's call but I don't think any of us know how Rev's front office decision making is actually done. If Kraft was unhappy with the team's results and progress, I'm sure he could/would put pressure on Bilello to make some changes. I personally don't think Kraft cares one way or another so there is no pressure on Bilello. We've seen none of the so-called accountability that was promised.

14. $.02

$.02 Member

Jul 3, 2001
    It is time to hire who should have been hired in the first place....Ralston!

15. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

Even I was iffy about hiring Ralston. Although I love him, he has (or had, at the time) limited experience and was learning the ropes. Ironically, they hired Heaps, the color commentator, who had even far less experience, much less a license :rolleyes:.

16. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Heaps will more likely gain a promotion.

17. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Or, neither position is meeting a satisfactory level, and they should both be replaced.

Brian in Boston repped this.
  18. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    and what has Bilello ever done to deserve any decision making? He should go, too.

19. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    (3) This entire (dis)organization is a clusterf**k from top to bottom, both on and off the pitch. That says that there is an executive leadership problem from the highest ranks on down.

Answer: In lieu of the owners selling the franchise, which isn't going to happen, get a new team President.

It is time for a CLEAN SWEEP!!! Bilello, Burns, and Heaps must ALL be shown the door.

Fire Mike Burns repped this.
  20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's got plenty of experience! ;)

Fire Mike Burns repped this.
  21. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure he was saying it was an either-or situation, I think he was diagnosing the reasons both have to go.

Kraft Out repped this.
  22. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one will be fired during the season. No one will be fired in the offseason. Opening Day 2014 will feature all cast members in their current positions, STH and Supporter Summit meetings featuring talk about- by then- $3 million spent on researching a stadium, another new cast of Rev Girls, and mostly the same players we have now.

I am willing to bet $20 that Bilello, Burns, and Heaps are still in their jobs on First Kick 2014. PM me if you wanna put money on it.

Kraft Out repped this.
  23. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Accountability means different things to fans and to management. Remember the league has given this organization awards for their ticket-renewal rates. They receive more complaints about the timing of "Meet The Revs" than the team's quality (as evidenced by moving said event to a weeknight to appease said complainers). We, the vocal few, see them as completely disjointed, disorganized, and an embarrassment. The majority of STHs, as long as their kids have a good time at the game, are perfectly happy. Sure they wish the team won more, but hey them's the breaks.

So when we were told there would be more accountability...that was taken a different way by us than it was intended.

ToMhIlL and Kraft Out repped this.
  24. 6and33areGOD

6and33areGOD Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Got inspired to send the following email to my ticket rep after the Red Bulls game:

Last season I was a college season ticket holder, and I opted not to renew this season. I did not opt to renew my season tickets because I live in the city and don't have a car, and was not able to get to enough games last year that I thought I would wait until I have more time to purchase a season ticket pack.
    However, after having seen the team so far this season, I don't plan to buy a ticket to another game until changes are made in coaching and the front office. I was originally skeptical of the Heaps hire because of his lack of experience coaching at any level. The moved looked like the lazy way out, which seemed consistent with the player acquisition record of Mike Burns for the last few years. The team qualified the hire by him being young and ambitious ala Jason Kreis. Unlike Kreis Heaps literally had no qualifications to coach an MLS team. It's now showing that he's in over his head.
    Through 6 games this is one of the most painful soccer teams I've ever witnessed. They can't score, pass, or move without the ball. They're playing grossly below their almost middle of the pack talent level. Even bad teams can be fun to watch, but this team is bad not only bad, but boring. Rebuilding teams shouldn't entail developing coaches: Heaps needs to go and someone with experience and competence needs to be brought in.
    They're looking to miss the playoffs for a 4th straight year in a league where teams regularly jump from the bottom to top of the table in one offseason. To be below mediocre for so long period is actually impressive.
    I am a fan of the team, and I will continue to root for the team through my MLS live subscription. However, until the front office proves that they even want to reach something beyond mediocrity, I won't be giving the Revolution my money.
    I want to make clear: you haven't lost a fan, but you have lost a customer.

25. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Honestly, I feel bad for Jay. I thought he was a tremendous player for the Revs while he was here, and he cared enough about the team to the point where he left a very cushy situation in finance, plus whatever stipend he was making as an announcer, to try and take over this team and turn them around. It's a huge risk for a guy with a family.

Despite all the Kraft promises in the 2012 preseason, he really didn't get the resources he needed to succeed. His coaching staff consists of a holdover from the Nicol era, a 63-year-old youth national team coach who also had no pro experience before hiring, and a strength coach. The only new coach hired on with any pro coaching experience (David Vaudreil) was let go after last season so they could farm development out to Rochester.

Player-wise, Jay received one DP in Bengtson (where most teams at this point have two), and the usual group of non-impact internationals we manage to haul in every year. They didn't retain Milton Caraglio for him (seriously, imagine a Bengtson/Sene/Caraglio strike trio right now), and replaced him with that loser Jose Moreno, causing an early season headache a new coach didn't need.

Now, it's absolutely Jay's fault he was completely unable to manage personalities like Benny and Shalrie, that his only motivational tactic seems to be "benching," and that he can't seem to get his team to play both offense AND defense at the same time. However, I'd just as much blame the fact he got absolutely zero help from above (probably the reason no other coach, including Ralston wanted the job), and I hate the fact this coaching stint will probably tarnish his legacy as a player as well.

Khkevin and KaptPowers repped this.