Official Gregg Berhalter Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Dec 2, 2018.

1. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    ESPN gave Berhalter a 6/10 for last nights performance. WTF?

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-...0plenty-of-sub-par-performances-in-heavy-loss

Manager rating out of 10

6 -- It feels as though Berhalter is moving at a glacial pace with implementing changes, but there is something to his U.S. team that looks a little different even if the end product is just as uneven was it was under his predecessors. Like a good coach should, he won't dwell too much on a handful of individual errors no matter how glaring, given that it's to be expected in a new system and with a new group of players.

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    A)would love to know how you have a clue what the aver as he fan in Costa Rica or Panama are thinking about their national team.

B)name one team that has won with less talent and tactics.

4. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I thought for sure we'd turn it around after that late Lovitz sub, Love Greg's go to move when we're screwed late in a game.

DHC1 repped this.
  5. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well, if it was intentional, playing Dest at left back and subbing him after 65 mins, was a really good way to piss him off. If that doesn't make him go Dutch, I don't know what will.

TOAzer repped this.
  6. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are Costa Rican and Panamanian posters on BS. I agree with your second point which is why we should get the tactics right.

7. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.All of this.

juveeer repped this.
  8. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are dreaming with FJ. He can barely be bothered half the time for BMG and whi knows what you get flying him over for a friendly. It is a nice thought, but ain’t happening. This squad has a big gap between the young and old.

9. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    After he's finished remaking the Quakes. ;)

juveeer repped this.
  10. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Yes he is. General Egg has seen the enemy, and it is us. "Defeat the domestic opposition!" is prime directive for any would be General for Life.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I agree, but who is the creative partner for CP? He is not a midfield general. Never was and likely never will be. He needs a foil (as most players do.)

Wes is not that guy yet, I don't think. He's more effective crashing from deep. Trapp/Wes is redundant. One of them needs to be swapped for a guy who can dribble. Fabio can dribble. I think he's too erratic in his Nat performances, but we need someone with that skillset up with CP. Even a converted #9 who can be a hold-up outlet would be more better than Morales/Wes/Trapp. There was no one who could carry the ball dangerously beside CP and he was smothered yesterday.

12. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are definitely gaps in this team. Maybe Mihailovic in 3 yrs although not counting on it.

13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #1313 DHC1, Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Care to expand on this?

This is literally true (not 100% coach’s fault) but the coach’s job is to 1) pick players that complement each other and 2) get players to play better than the sum of their parts.

How do you think he did?

Namdynamo, juveeer and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I’m so dumb.

I was hoping that there was no way that Berhalter would stick with Trapp/Bradley as a regista and a build-out-of-the-back possession strategy vs. Mexico given everything we’ve seen all year. Instead we get option 3 from my previous post.

I’m like f***ing Charlie Brown and Lucy’s football except I’ll have the pleasure of paying four digits to take two families to Mexican wrestling at the Garden.

Please, @Mahtzo1, don’t tell me it’s too early to lay out my worries ever again!

Namdynamo, Patrick167, juveeer and 3 others repped this.
  15. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see it watching Mexico in matches leading up to GC final. They play faster. They combine quicker and more accurately. They press quicker. Yes, that is coaching but they have the players to do it. Another thing I see with Mexican teams, and not just this one, is they let you have the ball particularly at beginning of matches. I guess to see what you will do with it and maybe to let opponent get a little confident. Then, boom, they are on you and game changes.

How do I think GB did? Not great. I don’t care if he is coach or not. I think it is going to be a struggle for a few years as the talent is very young and the vets aren’t Mexico killers anymore, and some never were. Getting a coach to play better than the sum of parts sounds great and that is what we were good at in the past but now it seems the team lacks identity. Players are just different. We’ll see how it goes against Uruguay but doubt very well. Hey, bring in Klinsmann to save the team!

harttbeat and DHC1 repped this.
  16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Berhalter is actively trying to change the identity of the team to a build-out-of-the-back possession team a la a Guardiola team.

Are you on board with that?

Also, the concept that the choice is between Klinsmann and Berhalter is dubious at best and appears intended to distract from taking a hard look at our current coach.

TOAzer repped this.
  17. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berhalterl Systems Inc. is The System and, systematically, ESPN is wedded to the system.

18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's no longer a new system nor is it a new group. Gregg arguably has had more time with the team in 2019 than any other NT coach globally. Who else gets the entire month of Jan?

Why is it Tata has instilled a system with a player pool far faster and with far superior results to Gregg despite having less time with the Mex NT? He hasn't even played a match on Mex soil yet.

And when did ESPN do away with their comments section? Is it because they got tired of their writers getting called on their BS?

19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count me as a homer, but I’ll take grinding out a result with stiff defense and counter attacking athleticism any day than delusional we’re to play out of the high press in our defensive end against a technically superior team.

onefineesq, Namdynamo, russ and 4 others repped this.
  20. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    lol two kids on a message board don't reflect a fanbase you should know that.

also you should enlighten us and tell all of us what tactics would work with a team that has zardes, trapp, zimmerman on it.

21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know who this writer is but he's the only one I've seen who at least goes in on the Trapp problem to an extent.

As covered above, Trapp and McKennie failed the team in sensational fashion on Corona’s opener, but it was much more than that. While McKennie had a couple of nice moments combining with Pulisic and Morales, but wasn’t close to what we see most weeks at Schalke (and many times in his a U.S. shirt).

I’m not going to pile on Trapp, but if ever there was a three-man midfield to make him perform well, it was alongside two mile-eaters in McKennie and Morales (though we just covered the former’s off night).

Every coach has his favorites and Berhalter coached Trapp for years at Columbus, but at this point it’s fairly comical that the USMNT boss continues to start him (especially against the aforementioned Mexican midfield). It’s not up to Trapp to turn down a cap. It is on Berhalter to note that Trapp isn’t even a Top 30 center midfielder in MLS right now, and knowing the system isn’t everything.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/three-things-usmnt-very-bad-030522519.html

It's a good point, if Trapp doesn't look good with Morales and McKennie types next to him, he never will.

22. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so pulisic is a 10 in that scenario?

i look at the central mid like this- adams is the 6. theres no argument for any scenario where there is any better option in our pool. obviously hes currently out, im talking big picture. i dont see a backup which is why id have the 8 close to that same line (invert our midfield v, so to speak, play more a 4-2-3-1 than 4-3-3).

wes is the 8, with roldan/morales as the depth.

the other 8 is where we need an answer- and yeah, i said other 8. a slightly more offensive/advanced 8. theres literally no 10 to discuss.

for me pulisic is a wing, period, not an option central. so at that spot id go lletget (if his freaking body will allow it), pomykal, possibly holmes (possibly meaning i just havent seen enough).

as with most things the problem is berhalter. bradley/trapp shouldnt be in the conversation. we shouldnt be trying to fit far better players around them in less than ideal roles.

so ultimately who the hell cares? if bradley/trapp is a mortal lock in the middle (they are), if we insist on playing out of the back (we do), if zardes is going to be the heart of our attack (he is) then it doesnt matter. we cant be any better than we are.

DHC1 repped this.
  23. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. This moron is still the coach?

24. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In short, you are asking us to tell Gregg how to change tactics so that his choice of players are not forever mired in the General Egg Shitshow?

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I am open to any variation of: CP as an LAM (or RAM) with a "forward 8" or "10" whatever you want to call it - but a "hold and distribute AM type", or replacing CP as the wide player and let him be the central playmaker (give it whatever number you like) CP is not as good in the middle, but he's better than our other best ACM. So to me it's a pick-em, but most importantly we need a guy who can posses the ball, attract defenders and make effective passes in the attacking 18-50 from the middle of the field. Lletget's nice pass late in the game. How many did we have of those? Ideally we'd have a creative CM who could swap with CP on the outside so as to more unbalance any double team/swarm defense.

A guy who can track back, but mostly is able to settle a pass and initiate some moves - and most importantly pull a double team so CP and others get some space. We had no attacking space except when we broke out after turnovers.