Official Gold Cup Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Quinn 33, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Does 3 - 0 get Jamaica through? ;>)

2. Home n dry

Home n dry New Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I've lost Pablo Ramirez. Probably owing to some wicked lightning strikes outside my window.

3. 7Dani18

7Dani18 New Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Northglenn
    It was a great goal. Not the prettiest finish, but a good redirection and heads up play.

Anyone know how many Jamaica needs to score or what the necessary GD is to go through as the other 3rd place team?

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A 1-0 win is enough to get them into 3rd. They would need Panama not to win but not lose by 3 or more, Honduras to lose, or Haiti to lose to the U.S. by 3.

5. Home n dry

Home n dry New Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So Colin Clark may have an impact on whether Omar comes back to the Rapids.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full time, Cummings provides the winning goal in Jamaica's 1-0 win.

Jamaica finishes in 3rd in Group A with 3 points and a -1 GD. The other realistically possible 3rd placed teams:

Group B:
    Haiti: 3 pts. +1 GD - Plays the U.S. tomorrow
    Honduras: 3 pts. -1 GD - Plays Grenada tomorrow

Group C:
    Mexico: 4 pts. +2 GD - Plays Guadeloupe Sunday
    Panama: 1 pt. -1 GD - Plays Nicaragua Sunday
    Nicaragua: 0 pts. -4 GD - Plays Panama Sunday

7. Home n dry

Home n dry New Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm going to arrive an eensy bit late to the tailgate, as I'm going to lag back a little to see if Colin Clark might get his first cap today v. Haiti. I assume the US game might be on in the Cantina.

Was that true for Grenada last week? Can you enter the Cantina pre-game, and still leave to go back to the tailgate?

Is anyone else planning to "double dip" and catch all or part of the USA game?

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll catch it on the DVR at home after the game.

9. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So do we get Omar back next week?

10. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Fabrice looked very good today for Haiti!!

11. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup.

He was always a long term project because of age. Too bad we gave up on him, he'd be quality depth right now.

12. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    My thoughts exactly, Deron. I guess the real issue when he was here had to do with where his head was. It is too bad though because he was the most dangerous player on the field for either team.

13. fhnkeeper03

fhnkeeper03 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colin played 76 minutes of todays game! Ching-a-ling was brought in for him.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Jamaica to advance they need Panama to draw or lose by less than 3 tomorrow. Otherwise Cummings rejoins the rapids for the DC game.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Panama kicked the crap out of Nicaragua, which eliminated Jamaica. Omar was the only player to score for Jamaica in what turned out to be a very disappointing Gold Cup for them.

On the bright side, Cummings will be available for the Rapids next week in DC.

16. fhnkeeper03

fhnkeeper03 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh thank god!

17. miguel

miguel Member

Nov 26, 1998
    I also think that based on those 76 minutes of play against Haiti, Bradley will probably bench Colin for the rest of the Gold Cuop matches. Personally, I thought he played alright out there for his first game, but with 4 brand new guys, all playing in their first international, there was very little team synergy out there in that match and it was tough for Colin to shine. His crosses were in the right direction, but his team mates were never at the right spot to receive them. I think we were lucky to get that tie with a 2nd string line up like the one we saw. I think Colin will get other call ups, but if Bradley wants to keep his job, I think he will have to revert back to using the more experienced players that he has available. I hope I'm wrong, but with the way the Rapids played against Dallas, I'd rather see Colin back in Denver, rather than sitting on the bench for the Nat's.

18. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only saw the first half of the Haiti game. In that half you could barely tell Colin was on the field. The ball only went to the left two or three times, one time for a wild shot by Clark.

Heaps and Clark had zero understanding of each other.

I wouldn't be disappointed if Bradley sent him back early. I'm just not that interested in the Gold Cup this year.

19. RedFive

RedFive Member

Jul 8, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I remember the situation Fabrice was discontent about not being a starter. Brian Dunseth's in-game comment about Haiti attacking without disciple accurately describes how Fabrice was playing at the time we parted ways.

I'm glad to see him playing well. Hopefully this tournament serves him as well as the Confederations Cup did for Onyewu and Davies. And I agree that it would be great to have him back.

20. lochlair

lochlair New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Denver
    Third string. The first string in the Gold Cup is the second string with a few vets trying to regain form. Otherwise agree with you Miguel, let's hope he comes home and helps us beat DC.

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives is reporting that Bradley will not call up any of the extra players for this weekend's USA - Panama match, so the Rapids should be able to start the Casey - Cummings combo up top for the first time in almost 2 months.

He says that extra callups are "likely" for the Wednesday semifinals and finals the next weekend, should the U.S. make it to those rounds.

22. Home n dry

Home n dry New Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have to agree with the earlier assessments of Clark's play v. Haiti. True, the team didn't give the left side attack much love- possibly trying to play the hot hand in Quaranta. But Colin's defensive positioning wasn't as sharp as we see at DSGP; and many of his best runs start off the transition, often from give-and-go's after turnovers he himself caused. Colin is very good at doubling down on wingers with Harvey. There was no real connection of that sort with Heaps. Disclaimer- I also saw only the 1st half.

I doubt we'll see him back early, though. Who else do they have that could cover for a Rogers injury?

23. Boots Utd

Boots Utd Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Denver
    Good crowd @ the Bulldog tonight watching the Gold Cup & the Pids... Mostly the US, but at least that was a close game.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clark was on the bench for the U.S. tonight, but didn't get into the game.

25. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was glad to see Beckerman score. Nice goal.

I just check the schedule. It looks like the final is at the Meadowlands. Does that mean the finalists will be playing on the fake turf? Yet another reason to be annoyed by this tournament.