official Gibbs to Columbus thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew SC' started by MD_05, Nov 6, 2003.

1. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    Jim Smith mentioned Corey Gibbs on the record, now we've got an allocation, and now this:
    http://www.kicker.de/content/news/a...liga=1&saison=2003/04&spieltag=12&gruppe=8059
    from freetranslation.com
    "Does Corey Gibbs go already in the winter? The economic future of the FC St. Pauli remains uncertain. After the cup end against Lübeck, the rumor holds had to sell itself in Hamburg further, that club in the winter recess expensive tribe powers as well as the brazilian Nascimento or US national player Gibbs. Gibbs has an Ausstiegsklausel for 120,000 Euros, should stand however already for next season in Regensburg in the word. Nascimento costs at least 600,000 Euros. Busy the internal discussions, that also already the team, irritate Gerber: 'beneficial is so something determines not!'"

-his club is in financial trouble and could have to sell some players.
    -Gibbs has a opt-out clause in his contract for 120,000 Euros
    -but he gave his word to Regensburg for next season

2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas also has an allocation and a decent shut defender should be on their shopping list also. How does it work when more than one team might be interested?

3. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    Ugggh....... Give him to the Metrostars? That's usually how it's done! :D

4. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must we torture ourselves with this thread? Just expect the worst. End of story.

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    guys, cory isn't interested in MLS

6. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then why did he come to Columbus, work out with the Crew and come to financial terms with Columbus until the league pulled the plug by refusing to allocate him here?

If you really have no idea what you're talking about and are simply making it up, please just shut up. Thanks.

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i'm sorry sir, i was just relaying what HE TOLD ME HIMSELF

8. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    who are you and why should we believe you

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    1-i am me, as i've always been

2-i don't care if anyone believes me, doesn't change that it happened

3-i live about a mile from st. pauli's stadium, about two from the training ground

4-if you insist on proof of my location...

[​IMG]

10. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Amazing Gibbs told a supporter of the club he's playing with he wasn't interested in leaving.

Did he also tell you how much he loves it there and how good the team could be?

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

do you see the pirates listed as one of my teams? for your infotainment: i am an AJAX fan, an american and find it funny that you'd think i would try to hoodwink the crew board - as much as cory likes st. pauli (and he does), he has made it perfectly clear that he wants to leave... just not MLS - now i suppose it's possible that he'll change his mind at some point... i just wouldn't advising the hold of any breath - anyway i was just trying to help out, sorry won't do that again

oh and bill, the players don't come to terms with the club, they come to terms with MLS... and cory never did

12. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    Who is Cory Gibbs?

13. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    He's a talented, young American defender who has been rumored to be leaving his current club in a lower German division. Possibly moving to the Crew where he will get burnt and allow more world-class goals to be scored in extra or overtime.

14. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Wheeeeeeee!

15. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's partly true. While teams don't have final say on the financial terms, a team's GM can go out and speak with players outside MLS to gage their interest to come play for them and probably discuss their cap situation and what they can offer them to intice them to come to the club. That's what Bill is talking about he when he says "he cames to terms with Columbus."

Which is what happened with Gibbs if Smith and several of our team reporters are to be believed. The Crew had pretty much done the leg work to bring him to the Crew, but MLS wouldn't allow Gibbs to come here because we didn't have an allocation.

We have an allocation now, so who knows, a lot can change in a few months though. Did he say this to you before or after July this year? Perhaps when MLS wouldn't go through with the deal the Crew had worked with him, it soured him to MLS and he said what he said to you. That would be a huge lose for the Crew and MLS if that's what happened.

16. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Gibbs told me the same thing in France this summer at the team hotel in Lyon.

He wants out of St. Pauli.

He's not interested in MLS.

bluedaddy isnt making this stuff up.

Edit to say he WASN'T insterested as of July.

17. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've forgotten more about how MLS works than you are ever likely to know, junior.

Apparently YOU don't know that usually in cases like this the club doesn't bother to even talk to you unless they know they can fit your needs under their league salary cap.

If Gibbs now wants to deny the whole thing for his own reasons, (or, since this happened in late Summer, you just aren't up to date), OK. Fine by me. I'm sure that you and he are VERY tight and all, but in this case, frankly, you're just wrong.

18. hangthadj

hangthadj BigSoccer Yellow Card

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Beacon, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Bottom line is it was reported over the summer the Columbus was very close to acquiring Gibbs. Doesn't matter what he says to some random guy at a training ground.

But, to take it further if Gibbs really isn't interested in MLS now, his loss. Where do you think Gibbs is more likely to catch Arena's eye and work himself into the USMNT setup for qualifying. Starting every game here stateside, or toiling for a second or third division team in Germany who is more in the news for their financial crisises than their quality of play?

19. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United
    Aug 3, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Why come to MLS when he can make a lot more money in Europe? It's that simple. Who can blame him?

20. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    That is precisely why he wants out hang.

He was also rumored to be going to Kaiserlautern before the season begins...When he does jump ship, he will be doing so to a division that is at least the playing level of MLS, if not superior to.

Without getting into the old MLS vs Lower division Euro league debate again, i wouldn't say that would be him "toiling" as he has never been anything than a first 11 starter as a pro or collegian

I'd personally like to see him in MLS...I just don't see it happening as like I said, he bascially laughed at the suggestion when I spoke to him in Lyon

and to Mario...he's not making that much at St. Pauli...if he came to MLS he could be getting a raise actually, unless MLS did another "Twellman Punishment" to him...

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    1-ok then pop

2-i didn't say they never talked to him

3-yeah and your GM denied it for his reason, otherwise known as the truth - FTR cory told me this in september and i never claimed that we were any degree of "tight"

blow hard, mighty wind, blow hard

22. hangthadj

hangthadj BigSoccer Yellow Card

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Beacon, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    taken from a chat with crew gm jim smith (extra credit to Flyer Fan)

OU9601: Why did the league refuse our request for the player allocation and can you tell us who that player was/is?

JimSmith2003: First a point of clarification- it wasn't an allocation, it was a discovery. The player we were interested in was Cory Gibbs. As with all personnel matters in this league, especially with The Crew, it was very complicated. The final result was the playr and league could not agree to terms and thus we could no longer pursue the player. On a side note, we met with Cory, had discussions with his agent and he was genuinely interested in playing for The Crew.

23. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    geesh. i think bluedaddy is among the more defensive people i've seen here on bigsoccer. and that's saying something.

regardless, st. pauli has dropped 2 levels of play in 2 seasons, with another one impending. gibbs needs out. if he wants to laugh at MLS and "kirovski" his way around europe, that's fine. i think that him being at the crew would be a good fit for him. we need him to kick clark or williams out of the line up. he needs to quit playing against such talented players as michael mason and david wagner (remember them?) and actually work his way into arena's eyes. of course what do i know, i follow MLS right?...

24. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    1-LOL if you say so - maybe the crew should sign me and use me as a late sub

2-another drop impending? hmmm... the pirates are a couple points away from a promotion spot and nowhere near the drop zone

look, i understand that crew fans want gibbs to play for them, but i don't see how arguing with me is gonna bring him over - forgive me for adding some reality to the thread

25. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    as someone mentioned earlier, dallas has an allocation too. what we can do is sign gibbs, and then trade him to dallas for a 4th round pick in the 2005 draft. and with the allocation we will get back from the gibbs trade we can sign david regis, who will be approximately 35 at that time, just making our minimum age limit for a defender. also, he's an american. that frees up an SI slot. then we can use our SI slot to draft a 2nd string foreigner in the 4th round.

too bad crew GM is not an elected position.