Official Fire Jurgen Klinsmann Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by ussoccer97531, May 22, 2014.

1. Scissorkick Collins

Dec 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hedur and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  2. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you Ticos!

3. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better late than never.

USA!

4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are thankful, believe it. We appreciate early Thanksgiving and/or Christmas

I know what country im going to this winter for vacation ;). Never been, but it sounds good, bear with me im doing this on a whim but its going to happen.

5. Scissorkick Collins

Dec 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Celebrate now, but don't forget: when we win World Cup 2038 in Antarctica, you're all gonna feel real stupid for not realizing all the things Jurgen did to make it possible.

AutoPenalti, Suyuntuy, Mahtzo1 and 4 others repped this.
  6. iggymcfly

iggymcfly Member

Jun 20, 2014
    This is so ********ing dumb. Can't believe this is real. What a bunch of ridiculous reactionary bullshit. Remember this day when we finish bottom of the group in Russia.

7. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Craig P, taylor, MPNumber9 and 6 others repped this.
  8. Scissorkick Collins

Dec 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6283 Scissorkick Collins, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    Your tears are delicious...

taylor, El Naranja, deuteronomy and 4 others repped this.
  9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

Craig P, taylor, MPNumber9 and 5 others repped this.
  10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be better than not qualifying at all, which we were in perilous danger of doing out of the gates. Read this very clear........we would not have picked up points anywhere but T&T on the road, and we would have been very lucky to get ties at home to Panama and Costa Rica. We would have finished 4th at best (more realistically 5th behind Honduras)........and probably lost to Iran, Uzbekistan, Australia, or Saudi Arabia in the playoff.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. iggymcfly

iggymcfly Member

Jun 20, 2014
    We would have been very lucky to get a tie at home with Panama? Get out of here. We would have been huge favorites in all of our home games except against Costa Rica where we'd still be solid favorites. If we'd had the exact same results home to Mexico and away to Costa Rica last cycle, it wouldn't have stopped us from winning the Hex, let alone finishing in the Top 3.

12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah.......we were huge favorites in the Gold Cup too. Those teams are better now, and we are worse. It would have been diabolical. Actions speak louder than words, and Panama have probably come away something like 2-1, maybe even a shutout over us. I haven't seen enough of Honduras yet to properly gauge them but what ive read they've gotten better too. We are the only team who has gotten convincingly worse in CONCACAF by a significant margin, and that is at least 90 percent on your boy. Its not the player pool.......it was the coach. You will see that in the coming months, and I will remind you of it.

jaxonmills and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    The Gold Cup debacle was where I started to lose faith... and the complete implosion of our Olympic team. I can't imagine this was only about these 2 games at all.

We shouldda probably paid more attention to Philipp Lahm in the first place.

14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    sorta like we were vs. Panama and Jamaica in the Gold Cup?

StillKickin and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    'we' did.

StillKickin, DoctorD, asoc and 1 other person repped this.
  16. pichichi2010

pichichi2010 Member+

Oct 24, 2010
    In your nets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. iggymcfly

iggymcfly Member

Jun 20, 2014
    The US was 24-2-1 at home in competititve games under Klinsmann to teams ranked outside the Top 15 in ELO, but sure keep on cherry picking a couple bad games and ignoring a mountain of wins to make your case.

18. Scissorkick Collins

Dec 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if you take out the teams we lost to, we were UNDEFEATED!!!!!

Craig P, sitruc, taylor and 9 others repped this.
  19. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    We usually beat crap teams at home regardless of the coach. I believe that is the group we just narrowed it down to there.

20. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Member

Jun 18, 2002
    ATX
    Jurgen was very clear in his NY Times interview that the only people criticizing him were dolts who didn't know the team and knew very little about soccer. You see, this country is so clueless - I mean really really dumb when it comes to soccer. All of Jurgen's success was due in spite of MLS and this know-nothing country.

And worst of all, Jurgen was disrespected by people questioning his methods. Don't you know how smart he is and dumb you are? Just questioning him shows how disrespectful you are.

Well, how will we ever move forward without him? I mean, we have always qualified for WC since 1990 and regularly qualified for the Olympics and sometimes even the Confed cup, but we are doomed without him.

Such disrespect to an obviously superior person - anyone doubting him should be ashamed. Shame Sunil!

StillKickin, taylor, luftmensch and 9 others repped this.
  21. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can live with that.

22. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I feel for the companies that make phone books.

23. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    oh and for Iggy and the Stooges too.

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won
    Won 11, drawn 4, lost 10 competitive matches since 2014.

taylor, el americano and Mr Martin repped this.
  25. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give him credit. When he stops experimenting and plays a reasonable lineup after a long camp, our team plays close enough to their potential to win most of the games they should. Which is to say, when you couldn't fit a credit card between what he does and what Bob Bradley would do, they do well enough.

He's also been a boon for recruiting. Brooks, Williams and FJ weren't foregone conclusions. OTOH, if the only reason you're playing for the shirt is the coach, you need to get your head straight before we cap you. I'm not saying that's the case for these guys in particular, but I'm saying the only way a coach should impact your decision to play or not play for the national team is if the guy is a total whack job.

The experimentation he does is an integral part of every national team manager's job. But the way Klinsmann does it isn't well constructed to provide meaningful conclusions. It's done far to frequently, in inappropriate situations, and in a way that damages morale, both for the players and the fan base. The net result is that the team lacks coherence beyond the norm for national teams, which is saying something.

His guiding star is that it takes little effort for world-class players to form a cohesive team. This is true. But we have very few (if any) world class players. Cohesion is critical. Everything he does appears to be in the service of breaking down that cohesion. From the formation changes, to dumping Donovan prior to the world cup, to throwing players under the bus, to trying to shoehorn the best player at position X into position Y's role instead of selecting ANY player who knows position Y... He has an idea of what he's trying to do. It's just a bad idea. Instead of marshaling the ONE THING WE HAVE GOING FOR US, he destroys it in favor of an ideal that isn't attainable. :eek:

You're probably right about the 5 best coaches in world football, because if three of them share the same delusion(?) unbridled optimism(?) about our player pool based on their experience as world class players, we'd be screwed. :) Which is why I'd take someone like Bruce Arena or Bob Bradley back in a heartbeat. Not because they're the visionaries that could lead us to the promised land, but because I know they will build something rather than tear it apart, based on what we have rather than what we wish we had.

So, when people say "It's the player pool!" They're right. Klinsmann didn't really know how to coach ours. Classic case of "It isn't you, it's me." Which really means, it's both of us.

Let's just be friends. I'll always cherish the special times we had together.

Craig P and el americano repped this.