News: Official Fire Jay Berhalter’s Brother Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by sXeWesley, Oct 15, 2019.

1. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #301 RefIADad, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    I spend quite a bit of time in the Des Moines, IA area. A local non-profit has built a small-sided street soccer pitch. I need to go see it when I'm next in the area.

It can be done, and you can figure out how to build multi-use courts for small-sided soccer and basketball. Here's how I would do it.
    • Lengthwise is a 100 ft by 65 ft or 70 ft small-sided pitch with futsal markings.
    • Cross-court are two basketball courts - 75 ft by 40 ft so the hoops aren't in the way of soccer.
    You satisfy two sports for the price of a single court. you're looking at 8,000-9,000 square feet per court - hardly expansive.

As to your point about "getting off the devices", it's a good point. But I think that a) some kids don't have those devices and b) if you can give them an area to just go out and play, they'll do it. My son is certainly not an inner-city kid, but he doesn't have a problem going out and playing because there's a park down the street from our house. If the facilities are there, I think kids will gravitate to them.

The big thing we have to get away from is that soccer MUST be played at 50-field soccer complexes with millions of dollars of FieldTurf. Honestly, the grassroots of the game should be small-sided games, street soccer, and futsal. You can play little kids futsal on any decent-sized basketball court. I don't think kids even really need to start getting onto a true outdoor field until age 11 and 12, because then you are forced to NOT teach "kick and run". Teach kids how to control the ball in tight spaces, pass and move, and work on short passes. Once they get to a regular soccer field, their technique will be much more developed and they can expand their games to the larger field.

(I'm open for consulting gigs related to US Soccer's grassroots development, by the way. :) )

2in10, Winoman and smokarz repped this.
  2. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I think maybe they're waiting until Jay left the building, and that they had a chance to gather all their facts.

All we know right now that is fact is that Jay is leaving US Soccer. Why he's leaving, what leads to this decision, and by whom; are all guesses and rumors right now.

russ repped this.
  3. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I have a high school son who's been going to the park and basketball court since middle schools. It is about a 5 min bike ride from our home. He goes there a few times a week to shoot hoops with is friends, even in the winter months.

There are things you can't do with your friends on the devices, and he has multiple devices.

Winoman repped this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Just as a matter of fact, I don't think it was a good thing for Berhalter that his brother departed. It doesn't mean he's next. If he does well, he'll stay. But I do think he lost some of his slack.

5. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like anywhere else in business or sports, accountability is important. I don’t think Gregg had any when his brother was calling the shots. If a strong leader comes in, he/she should hold Stewart and his organization accountable.

I don’t expect the CEO to directly influence tactics or technical decisions, but he/she will need to ask the right questions to ensure the sporting department’s vision aligns with the overall role of US soccer.

Namdynamo and 2in10 repped this.