Official Fire Bruce Arena Thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Gamecock14, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just in case. We need to be ready.

Plus since the rumors are out there.

798739872999673858 is not a valid tweet id

798741977454039040 is not a valid tweet id

wixson7, tyguy, Elninho and 8 others repped this.
  2. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

adam tash repped this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Is he willing to bench Michael Bradley?

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  4. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    To be fair, he is the least of our problems...

sitruc and deuteronomy repped this.
  5. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's the guy who could get the train back on the tracks the quickest . . .

Marko72, vmax71, dwsmith1972 and 2 others repped this.
  6. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but can he integrate younger players with the old guard? I'd be ok with this on the condition that there is zero chance he is extended beyond 2018.

8. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The only reason Bruce Arena is in the running is because he is going to be cheaper than any other experienced coach. He is currently "out of contract" and is not going to demand a salary that US Soccer will struggle to come up with.

9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and he will bring Donovan back in the program with a quickness. What exactly would be wrong with bringing Arena back? Perfect man to stabilize a vessel that doesn't have a few holes in it, but hit a glacier and broke in two

deuteronomy and THENEWTREASURY repped this.
  10. THENEWTREASURY

Aug 23, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    ?

Bruce would come in and crack some skulls and get the job done. They aren't going to have the big $ to splash and this late into the cycle with our standings in the HEX? ... Bruce is a fine choice in this situation

deuteronomy repped this.
  11. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Proven winner 5x MLS Cup Champion.

2. Proven qualifying and World Cup success

3. Familiarity with the pool.

4. Considered an exceptional players coach, the players won't quit on him.

5. Connected and respected in MLS and abroad.

6. Good working relationship with Major League Soccer.

7. Great a creating a "healthy" team.

Poachin_Goalz, SteelyTom, owian and 3 others repped this.
  12. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Um, no.

SteelyTom, chrome_vapors and adam tash repped this.
  13. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's never had an issue with incorporating young players into the mix.

14. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we were hiring a coach at the very beginning of a cycle, I would not necessarily advocate for Bruce and would favor any number of the younger, promising MLS coaches.

However, in light of where we find ourselves and given the time constraints, I think Bruce is the best choice (even perhaps the only choice). We know that he knows how to do the national team job and how to do it much more successfully than the current occupant and his record outstrips any other coach we have had. To the extent that things grew stale during the second cycle of his tenure, he is ten years removed from the job and this is an entirely different player pool. Since his departure he has gone on to coach some 400 club games, winning multiple MLS cups and supporters shields and coach of the year awards. I have to believe that he has grown substantially as a coach since his last tenure.

We know he is a good man manager and that players like to play for him. His team would have an identity and I think he is well suited to get us back to doing the things well that used to be our strengths. And he would have the luxury of having much more depth of talent than he ever did previously. To me it is a no brainer.

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    The qualifiers, when we are already at -4 points (home loss/away loss) astray, not a lot of youngsters will get a chance. You bring in lineups to win these games.

You want to blood 4-5 new players? Gold Cup next summer seems like the right time.

16. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Bruce is the logical choice for a midstream replacement. He's available, knows the pool and cares about the US team and he spearheaded our best World Cup finish of the modern era. Sure, not as sexy as bringing in a big name, but a solid and safe choice to steer the ship through some turbulent waters for qualification anyway. The one thing I always like about Bruce Arena teams is that the players out there always, always know their jobs and specific duties. I'd say this is even more important on a national tream when players have to be thrown together quickly and cohesion can be difficult. It also works well with a limited player pool. We have a lot of guys who aren't great players in all aspects but who can do a specific job when told.

17. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
  18. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah- I see the logic. I just don't want him to coach us in Russia (assuming we get there). It's not quite fair, but I think Bruce's last experience coaching us in a WCF should DQ him from another.

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Look, I understand the hating on Bruce for 2006. He deserves some, no doubt.

But look at that team. What could have been different (and better)? The only couple things were probably his reluctance to play Dempsey (I give him a pass on Ching) and probably going with Eddie Pope. Yes he relied on old guys. But, who were the young guys, aside from Dempsey that he was overlooking. Our roster depth was absolute shit. Jesus, we brought Olsen, Chris Albright and Josh Wolff (who had done nothing but tear his knees up since 2002). We were desperate we brought in JOB. In hindsight, Eddie Johnson was not the player we thought he was at the time. People kill Reyna, but he had a pretty damn first match vs. Czch. Whats the correct lineup without Reyna? We had already lost Gibbs and Hedjuk to injury. Our reserves were Steve Ralston, Pat Noonan and Kerry Zavaghnin.

I have no problem giving Bruce the keys with the players we have now.

chrome_vapors and Tony in Quakeland repped this.
  20. alekhine8

alekhine8 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Pareja can be the guy post-2018. You can't hire him with his first meaningful international game being a must-win March WCQ against Honduras.

If I am Pareja I don't accept the USA job unless it's a six-year contract through 2022. That is very unlikely to happen.

21. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's what it takes to not have Jurgen anymore, then I'm on-board. However, Bruce has always been reluctant to play younger players and, especially now, our younger players are better and need to be the core in Russia. I don't see Bruce benching Mike. Maybe not even Jones. Anyway - it's all moot. Sunil doesn't have the guts to admit his mistake with Jurgen. We will continue under the German. We will probably finish 3rd, maybe 4th. If 4th, we should probably have no trouble in the play-off. Jurgen will crow and feel like he's accomplished something, getting us to Russia ("That's the goal, what it has been all about all along. Qualifying is all the matters"). That's shit - rolling over and admitting that we are third best in our confederation is not acceptable. Period.

22. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Not really something "wrong" but he would be exactly what you said - a guy to stabilize the ship, dont think he will really bring any new ideas into the setup. I think Sunil wants to first qualify so the USMNT can generate more cash, and get a foreign coach to "improve" the team so his legacy is remembered as someone who brought US onto the world stage and kept improving the team.

23. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    Pareja has said that he wants the job. He's got more to prove than Arena, and he's been doing a better job lately.

24. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did in 2002, integrating Donovan and Beasley after qualifying. And before the World Cup

25. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena has said that qualifying requires veterans but that the world cup is a young players tournament. See no reason to think his mind has changed. I bet he'd bring LD in for the rest of the Hex but there is no guarantee he'd bring him to Russia

I want Pareja, but Bruce is my second choice