OFFICIAL - Fernando Santos to stay until 2020

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by fdasilva, Jul 19, 2016.

1. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    FPF officially extended Fernando Santos contract until Euro 2020 - when the current FPF board's mandate will also finish: http://www.fpf.pt/pt/Notícias/Notícia/news/5159

Seleção A
    A Federação Portuguesa de Futebol e o Selecionador Fernando Santos chegaram a acordo para a renovação do contrato que os une desde setembro de 2014.

O novo vínculo entre a FPF e Fernando Santos vigorará até ao EURO-2020, coincidindo com o final do mandato da atual Direção da Federação Portuguesa de Futebol.

Fernando Gomes, presidente da FPF, e Fernando Santos, Selecionador Nacional, estarão presentes numa conferência de imprensa agendada para esta quinta-feira, 21 de julho, às 12h00, na Cidade do Futebol.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  2. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #2 Sumol, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    Fantastico.

He obviously took a pay-cut to stay compared to other offers he had on the table. He believes he can top what he did. He's hungry for more success.

[​IMG]

dipluso and NewLaw83 repped this.
  3. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Do you guys have any idea how good this news is? Honestly, to me this is even better than finding out Ronaldo was cloned and reset 5 years and we are allowed to play with both of them. 1-0 victories may not excite you guys, but the guy knows how to win, and more so the players deeply respect him.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  4. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Looks like we're going for Spain's 3-peat!!!

NewLaw83 and nbstriker8 repped this.
  5. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Giving up hope for 2022 already.

6. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The greatest TROLL manager of all time. That said, Wanted to see Rui Jorge as the coach.

7. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Why? Just curious.

I get flashbacks to Bento when i watch him coach.

8. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Rui Jorge is decent with the under 21s but that is a cakewalk compared to Senior NT or club managing. He would of been picked up by a club if they saw anything special in him

9. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I'm really happy that Santos is staying. He could of easily taken the China money and no one would blame him but he stayed for far less. I'm sure he isn't on any risk of going on welfare but it must of been a massive pay cut in comparison to what he could of had in China.

Legacy over money.

dipluso and ---Z--- repped this.
  10. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    excellent news ,

I knew he would be good when we win every qualifying game under him and he actually showed up to games to scout players

Rarely had any issues with his callups or lineups either. Obviously he has shown he knows how to adapt to the game and make good substitutions and play to his players strengths .

dipluso and BatatasFritas repped this.
  11. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Family also played a role without a doubt. If he took the job in China he would have been isolated.

---Z--- repped this.
  12. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Man, what a huge relief. The china money was scary. Love this guy.

13. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Yup, China would be a massive move for a 61 year old pork chop. He already had to learn Greek in the past but having to learn Chinese would have been a chore at this stage in his career. Besides, club managing is a full time job where NT managing is more like a gig until a tournament comes along.

14. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Placing an early pre-order for our September 2018 jersey with a star on it.

15. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    #15 Chess_Panther, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    Let's see how he fares with the ragged Olympic team first. He seems to be a very good tactician but I'm not sure about his motivational skills. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if he did something decent in the Olympics. That team already have all the motives in the world to perform well, it's up to him to puzzle them nicely.

Having said this, of course I'd rather keep Santos as a deserving reward for his work. I think he only noticed the error of his tactical approach early in the tournament but had the merit to change the lineup and patch up what he could. I'm curious to see if there are going to be tactical changes for the QFings. I surely hope so as a reflection of the talent that there is to come.

16. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    a young looking Fernando Santos, oh and a Cagão from Baía :ROFLMAO: