Official: Esky and Carroll graduate from P-40

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ursula, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    If you look at that list, you'd have to say P-40 has been pretty successful recently. There are some fantastic players graduating this time 'round.

2. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen to that. We owe NIKE a big thank you for making P-40 possible. I hope the League can keep Nike involved in sponsorship with Adidas's massive new input.

Regarding Carroll, I think you guys are ignoring his potential. Trust me, the kid is a natural leader with a great work ethic. If he keeps up his work rate and avoids The injury, he could very well be in the MNT pool within two-three years, particularly if he bulks up and starts to finish like Dempsey (not in PK's however! ;) ).

GM

3. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    If we protect Nellie, and he goes to Europe after the draft -- say during the January transfer window -- would we get an allocation for him?

4. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    It's possible and it could happen - especially considering that D-Mid is a position where a player often doesn't blosson until their late 20s - but when I look at Carroll and then the other young players that will be vying for the defensive/holding midfield spot(s), I have a hard time believing that he'll come out with the job. Dempsey and Szetela certainly have more potential, Rico Clark is more athletic, and I think he'll get his game sorted out, and more challengers are likely to emerge in the next couple years. Brian may get some caps, but I don't think he'll ever be an automatic call-up kind of guy.

5. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    probably, but with MLS who knows?

6. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    My guess to whether or not DCU protects them: We can protect 12, I think.

Rimando: no (are we not going after Thorton?)
    Nelsen: yes
    EZ: yes
    Jaime: yes
    Stewie: no (retiring?)
    Carrol: yes
    Legbreaker: yes
    Eski: yes
    Q1: yes
    Q2: no
    Lawson: no
    Gros: yes
    Gomez: yes
    Petke: yes
    Ara: no
    Martins: yes
    Namoff: no
    Olsen: yes
    Perkins: no
    Prideaux: no
    Stokes: P-40
    Thompson: P-40
    Adu: P-40
    Kuffor: T-I

7. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    You're not going to protect Namoff? Huh?

I think it's more likely to protect Namoff than Petke (who makes $160K) or EZ. Also, if something falls through with Thorton (do you really want to go into next season with Perkins as your starter)?

8. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, Q2 is listed on DCU's website as a Discovery/T-I player, same as Kuffour. Dunno whether that's correct, but that's how they have him listed.

9. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like our wanker a lot, but you've got to protect "the best value in MLS" (as Hopkins or Bretos called him). I'd hate to lose Mike, but Namoff is younger, faster and less expensive.

GM

10. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    GM - I'm a little disappointed in your response. On gameday, I expect for you to remind all to focus. Come on are you trying to jinx us?

:eek:

11. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000

Yeah, I remember reading that this would be the last year that he would be T-I (because of his age). IIRC this would make him eligible to be in the draft.

Look up this post Knave and others have done a terrific job delving into it.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143990

12. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Protecting Nellie will be determined by Nellie. If he accepts MLS's offer, it will be in the next week.

You've got to keep Namoff. In a year that had a lot of ups and downs, you can't let your most consistant defender go. Especially when you consider his pay. If Nellie is off to try Europe, Namoff takes his protected space, otherwise expose Petke or EZ.

I'd also protect Rimando. Even if the team is looking to have a change in net next year, Rimando (especially considering the current playoff run) is worth much more in a trade. But I'd rather have his experience going into next season.

I'd consider exposing Dema. I know he's a fan favorite, but he makes a lot of money, and he's really not all that as a winger in a 3-5-2. He and Benny are too similar, and Benny is much better in that role. I'd hate to lose his intensity, but that's money that the team can better spend elsewhere. And with his high price tag, I'm not sure the other teams would take him.

13. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    these should be reversed. You can't protect a guy who hasn't played all year over your most consistent (and cheapest) defender. And as much as I like Kovalenko, he has a big salary - plus the expansion teams may not be interested in a player with his reputation. He's my first pull-back if someone else is picked, but I think exposing him is a worthwhile risk. You either get him or a large salary spot in the end. Rimando is a bargain, and has trade value if Chivas wants a keeper with Mexican heritage (even though he doesn't speak Spanish)