Official: Esky and Carroll graduate from P-40

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ursula, Nov 13, 2004.

1. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
  2. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Esky better be protected!

3. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    WOW!!!!! That was an amazingly fast first response! Hope you can make it through the night! It's gonna be a long one.

An interesting part of this draft is that this Monday is a one (1) day only trading window. Could be some interesting moves....

4. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    We're just in a holding pattern.....

5. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Here's a late thought on who DCU might protect: I wonder if Tim Lawson might affect the decision process. I suppose it's likely that mgt will call him expendable but maybe they think he's a winger for the future and will let someone else go? We already are losing Stewart leaving Dema and Gros as the starting wingers, but we need depth. There's Lawson who we fans know nothing about. There's Q1 and Adu who could play the positions (mainly Tino). There's Q2, but not really in a 352. So maybe we leave Lawson unprotected but grab him back quickly...

With thoughts like that, yeah, it will be a long night.... :)

6. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Where is the link to the graduated P-40, I am just curious about the other players.

7. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I'm totally with you.

8. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    **The 11 newly graduated Project-40 players are: Nelson Akwari (Columbus Crew), Jose Burciaga (Kansas City Wizards), Brian Carroll (D.C. United), D.J. Countess (Chicago Fire), Clint Dempsey (New England Revolution), Alecko Eskandarian (D.C. United), Eddie Gaven (MetroStars), Nate Jaqua (Chicago Fire), Eddie Johnson (FC Dallas), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew) and Seth Trembly (Colorado Rapids).

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20041113&content_id=18925&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

9. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Jose, from the article, which I messed up the link, but it's fixed now:

*The 11 newly graduated Project-40 players are: Nelson Akwari (Columbus Crew), Jose Burciaga (Kansas City Wizards), Brian Carroll (D.C. United), D.J. Countess (Chicago Fire), Clint Dempsey (New England Revolution), Alecko Eskandarian (D.C. United), Eddie Gaven (MetroStars), Nate Jaqua (Chicago Fire), Eddie Johnson (FC Dallas), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew) and Seth Trembly (Colorado Rapids).

Without looking too hard, it looks pretty much like the main rookies and other P-40's (like ours) all graduated. (The ones with the most playing time.) Except Freddy.

10. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks for the info guys.

11. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Does anyone have the 1997 expansion draft list?

"This will mark the second Expansion Draft in League history and the first since November 6, 1997 when Danny Pena and David Vaudreuil were selected first by the Chicago Fire and Miami Fusion respectively in what was then a 12-round draft. "

12. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I hope they protect both Eski and Brian!

13. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Doesn't Eddie Gaven make a lot of money?

That's some good news, especially considering he could miss a lot of time with the National Team next year.

14. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Half way through the season I wasn't so sure about Carroll but he keeps getting better each game, he should definitely be protected.

15. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    There's almost no way Carroll isn't protected.

Nowak loves the guy, he's young, cheap, local, and American.

Furthermore with all the characteristics above save proximity, he'd be a perfect piece to start building a team around. Third year guy who is a steal for his price, does his job game in and game out, and is consistant.

16. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any more news about what's happening with Nellie?

17. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    offered substantial contract. going to wait until after MLS Cup to decide

18. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I guess that's where it already stood in my head. It's just that playing this "Who do we protect? Who do we not?" game becomes a lot more clear exercise knowing whether Nellie will be around or not. Do we know if the offer requires him to make a decision before they decide who to protect?

19. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Jose, I think United would be brain dead not to protect those two players.. They are still relatively cheap players and were big producers this season..

20. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The players who who are not eligible (and thus don't have to be protected/cannot be exposed) are Adu, Kuffour, Quintanilla, Stokes, amd Thompson, correct?

(trying to keep my mind occupied and not get nervous about tomorrow afternoon)

21. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I don't think Q2 is protected.

22. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    and he's not likely to get big attention from overseas, and I don't think he'll be a National teamer (at least not on a consistant basis - he may get a call up now and again), so he'll be around for every game for a while.

23. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Very good point.

He will, in all liklihood, be an MLSer for life.

24. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Does this mean that MLS will sign 11 players to P40 deals for the upcoming MLS superdraft?

25. sckrmom

sckrmom New Member

Jul 17, 2003
    Gainesville, VA
    I'm not positive on this, but only if there are exactly 11 players ready to come out of college prior to graduating; I don't think there's an "exact" number they follow. It depends on how many players at that level are "worthy" and want to get out early.