Official Draft Thread for Small Rocks 2006-7 League

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by Hal, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    Welcome survivors and victors from last season and the two promoted teams from 2005-6 Very Small Rocks, Vegas Virgins and Pork Soda.

These are the team names (assuming the managers will reuse last season's team name), and the manager's Bigsoccer.com nickname and their first name.

1800-Fly.com 1800-WorldCup.com Michel
    Yellowcake Phantoms DoctorJones24 Jay
    Pork Soda djangone Richard
    Nocturnal United Darr_ Jason
    Vegas Virgins vegas2u Craig
    Aviators Hal Hal
    FC Springfield ibreak4coffee Ralph
    Kopite Juniors kopiteinkc Mark

I'll be doing the double blind draft and posting the results with edits of this post until we've established the draft order for the Small Rocks 2006-7 League.

Round 1 and all Odd-Numbered Rounds:

Pick Team Name Bigsoccer Nickname
    1. Vegas Virgins vegas2u
    2. Yellowcake Phantoms DoctorJones24
    3. Pork Soda djangone
    4. 1800-Fly.com 1800-WorldCup.com
    5. Kopite Juniors kopiteinkc
    6. Aviators Hal
    7. FC Springfield ibreak4coffee
    8. Nocturnal United Darr_

Round 2 and all Even-numbered Rounds:
    Draft Order

9. Nocturnal United Darr_
    10. FC Springfield ibreak4coffee
    11. Aviators Hal
    12. Kopite Juniors kopiteinkc
    13. 1800-Fly.com 1800-WorldCup.com
    14. Pork Soda djangone
    15. Yellowcake Phantoms DoctorJones24
    16. Vegas Virgins vegas2u

Bowl A has slips numbered 1-8
    Bowl B has slips with team and manager names

The first draw:
    Bowl A: 7
    Bowl B: FC Springfield ibreak4coffee

The second draw:
    Bowl A: 6
    Bowl B: Aviators Hal

The third draw:
    Bowl A: 5
    Bowl B: Kopite Juniors kopiteinkc

The fourth draw:
    Bowl A: 4
    Bowl B: 1800-Fly.com 1800-WorldCup.com

The fifth draw: (And the tension mounts! There's a hush in the room.)
    Bowl A: 3
    Bowl B: Pork Soda djangone

The sixth draw:
    Bowl A: 2
    Bowl B: Yellowcake Phantoms DoctorJones24

The severth draw:
    Bowl A: 1
    Bowl B: Vegas Virgins vegas2u

And the final draw: (no suspense now)
    Bowl A: 8
    Bowl B: Nocturnal United Darr_

The Small Rocks 2006-7 League Draft Order is set.

Some team named Green Onions witha manger called Booker T and the MG's has registered in the Small Rocks 2006-7 League. If this is a name change for our managers, please identify who it is.

The following managers have yet to join the Small Rocks 2006-7 League:

Yellowcake Phantoms DoctorJones24 and
    1800-Fly-com 1800-WorldCup.com

If you need the league password again, please PM me. As soon as we get all 8 signed up, then I'll close the league and evict any mangers who manage to sign up for our league without the proper credentials.

2. djangone

djangone Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Los Feliz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A Powell gets first pick for the second year in a row! I know for a fact he's taking Danny Mills first, so the rest of us can just go on with that in mind. :D

3. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ugh... 7th... although I drafted seventh in the VSR and got promotion two years ago, so perhaps all is not lost... too bad to hear Mills wont be around at 7 though... :(

So do we all agree that the go slow draft wont start until Friday, July 28? After that, how long are the windows? 10 hours? 6 hours? Starting later in my opinion isnt ideal as we should always leave some cushion in case an "assclown" is unavailable for a while... on the other hand starting earlier wont allow us to get some more big names into the draft pool, even if it seems most Italians are staying in the Southern Europe area

4. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I face the Michel - Hal sandwich. The crafty draft buggers are either side of me.

Looking forward to it, 5th is 1st with a different name ;)

Chloe Adams' Kopite Juniors are logged in and ready to go. My 10 year old daughter continues her reign as manager.

5. vegas2u

vegas2u Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Not sure I can handle the pressure. Wanted to be in the top 5, but this may be too much.

Danny Mills did not collect enough Red Cards and injury time for me last season. I think he's worth another look.

6. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I believe Green Onions is Michel...

7. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    That should work fine. Since I got the 2nd pick, I should be able to give someone a proxy for that one. It'll probably be a couple days before it gets back to me, right? Then I'd have two picks in quick succession, so I might need to be near a computer for that, which won't happen until evening of the 31st. Actually, I'll just bring some ranked position lists with me, and Hal can call when it's my turn and fill me in on who is gone. I'll likely be drunk, so I'll probably burn myself by counting on a Muzzy Izzet comeback yet again.

8. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Here is my proposal for a Rocks Champions League... please let me know what you think. I'll do a draw as soon as it seems everyone is OK with the league.

Rocks Champions League

Preliminary Round (Gameweeks 1-6)
    * Each team plays six fixtures – each manager plays a home and away against everyone else in their division *
    * In the case of a tie – home team wins (only way I can think of making home field count)
    * In the case of a three way tie for a quarterfinal spot, head to head record is the tiebreaker. If that doesn’t decide it, overall point difference will be used

Group A
    SR 1
    SR 2
    VSR 1
    VSR 2

Group B
    SR 1
    SR 2
    VSR 1
    VSR 2

Group C
    SR 1
    SR 2
    VSR 1
    VSR 2

Group D
    SR 1
    SR 2
    VSR 1
    VSR 2

* Top 2 from each group advance *

Quarterfinals (Gameweeks 8-9)
    * Home and Away series again – in the event of a tie, gameweek
    * If tied, gameweek 10 will be played. If that is tied, player with most points during group stage wins. If that is tied, I’ll flip a coin!

Match 1: 1A vs 2D
    Match 2: 1C vs 2B
    Match 3: 1B vs 2C
    Match 4: 1D vs 2A

Semi-Finals (Gameweeks 11-12)
    * Same rules as the quarterfinal
    *If tied, match will be decided on gameweek 13. If that is tied, most points during the quarterfinal stage is decisive. If that is tied, I flip a coin!
    Match 5: Winner Match 1 vs Winner Match 2
    Match 6: Winner Match 3 vs Winner Match 4

Final (Gameweek 14)
    *One gameweek tie – if tied, gameweek 15 will be played to decide a winner. If that is tied, teams keep playing until a winner emerges.
    Winner Match 5 vs Winner Match 6

If we get 8 managers in the Sand League, I can include them in the following way and the league start date will change:

Gameweek 1-2: 4 playoff matches between 8 Sand League teams. Top four winners advance to the group stage, 5 in each group, but same rules - only top 2 advance.

Gameweeks 3-10: Group Stage

Gameweeks 12-13: Quarterfinals

Gameweeks 15-16: Semi-Finals

Gameweek 18: Final

Otherwise, we have a playoff between 4 of the 6 current teams in gameweeks 1-2, and the two managers not drawn for the playoff are lucky and proceed immediately to the group stage.

As it stands now, here is how the group stage would play out in all groups

Gameweek 1
    SR 1 vs VSR 2
    SR 2 vs VSR 1

Gameweek 2
    VSR 1 vs SR 1
    VSR 2 vs SR 2

Gameweek 3
    SR 1 vs SR 2
    VSR 1 vs VSR 2

Gameweek 4
    VSR 2 vs SR 1
    VSR 1 vs SR 2

Gameweek 5
    SR 1 vs VSR 1
    VSR 2 vs SR 2

Gameweek 6
    SR 2 vs SR 1
    VSR 2 vs VSR 1

9. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Today I have officially launched the 2006-2007 blog.

Rosters are set, here are the managers by division

http://smallrocks20062007.blogspot.com/2006/07/small-rocks-leagues-set.html

I've also posted all the draft orders, and will be posting the rules for the Rock Hard Championship Cup and my Rocks Champions League.

Hope by centralizing all this information on one site everyone will avoid reading through long threads.

10. Tangerine Army

Tangerine Army New Member

Jul 11, 2006
    Cincinnati
    Very nice site. Technically, though, my club's colors are:

Orange, Maroon (not red), Green -- in that order

Do we at some point abandon Big Soccer threads, for either your blog site, or for the 3 fantasy.premier.league forums?
    (except transfers, which I know go on the fantasy.premier.league forum)

11. vegas2u

vegas2u Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Im ready to declare and get this thing going.

1. VegasVirgins Henry F AR 14.0

Irrevocable pick once Yellowcakes has made his pick.

Expensive, but still the best chance at 220plus in points. A "value" at that level.

12. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Is there really any other first pick? Not in my book! Thanks Vegas for getting things rolling! Second pick becomes interesting though...

13. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ingromius posted this in the other thread. It doesnt seem there has been any discussion on our end of similar matters. I know Vegas got our draft underway, but I feel like I have been posting alone with regards to when we start, windows to pick etc... if anyone has any thoughts, please share!

14. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am available whenever we get started, no conflicts for me.

15. 1800-WorldCup

1800-WorldCup Read Nomadic Gatherings - TravelNotes.org/magun

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    4th Pick

I see Green Onions are down for fourth pick.

Officially, I'll be home on Friday 28th July (afternoon CET) but if picks two and three are made within the next 18 hours, I 'might' be in another nice hotel in Slovenia; with cable access.

I haven't had time to read up on latest transfers so will be throwing a dart at the player list to try and get things rolling; hoping to once again come good in early season transfer dealings.

;)

16. djangone

djangone Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Los Feliz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Jay, the second team up, said this the other day in the other SR thread:

"I saw a date of July 28th/29th suggested as a possible draft start date. I'll be once again on my annual boat trip from the 27th to 31st, so I'd prefer we start that Monday (31st). But if need be, I can give Hal some proxies."

To which I replied that I too need until 7/28 at least before I can use my third pick.

17. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    With Vegas2U's selection of Henry, it looks like he has started the Small Rocks go as slow as you like phase of our draft.

Jay is up but is not on the clock. If there is interest, we might get in a round or two this week, but if someone is not ready, the draft will hold until Saturday.

Our Go Slow Phase will start Saturday, 29 July, at 10 AM EDT, based on most of the other comments made in this thread. Hopefully we can get in a couple a rounds per day on Saturday and Sunday, then at least one round per day during the week. I target 1 round during weekdays, because I, like some others, have restrictions on what I can do from work. In reality, if I'm constrained and it's my turn, I expect Jay will give me a call and I'll discuss my pick at the break from whatever meeting I'm in and Jay can make my proxy pick rather than me going on the computer and making my own selection.

Our go Fast Phase will start on Saturday, August 5, at 10 AM EDT.

As far as draft time windows, I like some of what was said on the other thread.
    In the Go Slow Phase, our concerns should be to give deference to the time zone issue. Most of our day's draft activities on Saturday and Sunday should occur between 10 AM EDT (7 AM West Coast USA, and 4-5 PM European time) and 6-8 PM EDT (3-5 PM West Coast time and Midnight-2 AM European time). Along with their draft preparations, everyone should make some proxy arrangements. I know Jay is on his annual boat trip. Hopefully, I can reach him by cell phone to update him on who's been chosen and confirm his proxy pick selection.

I'm looking at 8-10 hours of prime time for drafting (10 AM EDT - 8 PM EDT) for both Saturday and Sunday and I'm looking for managers to be able to make their picks in about 30 minutes, especially with the use of proxy pickers to keep the draft moving. This would allow us to get in 2 rounds for both Saturday and Sunday. Depending on the extreme time zones in the draft, we may get in a half or more of another round. Say Michel makes a pick and then heads to bed, the US based managers might pick until midnight EDT instead of stopping at 7 or 8 PM and get another half round or maybe all the way back until Michel's next pick. Then, in his morning, while we are all sleeping, Michel may make his next selection. Flexibility and well-planned use of proxy pickers can keep this flowing smoothly.

That said, we are not rigid in the go slow phase. If someone takes an hour during the prime draft window time, it'll stress the other managers a bit, but as long as one manager doesn't repeatedly hold up the draft, we'll press on. The goal is to get as many rounds of the draft done before Saturday, 5 August, in which case we'll set rigid draft time limits for picks based on how many more rounds we have to complete the squads to ensure we get the squads selected that Saturday or, if necessary, no later than Sunday.

Remember, there is always a lot of post-draft, pre-season squad tinkering that we want to allow starting on Monday, 7 August.

As always, a player must be in the database to be selected. The risk of the Go Slow draft phase is that some transfers in won't appear in the database until after some early draft rounds in the go slow phase. Managers should plan their draft strategy accordingly to perhaps, have sufficient funds to select a 9-11M valued player in the later rounds.

I've been lazy in not already determining exactly everyone's drafting time zone. Perhaps we don't have someone drafting from the West Coast. Maybe we have someone drafting from Hawaii? I think Michel drafts according to the time in Switzerland (6 or 7 hours later than EDT). If my draft window is too constraining because managers are not so geographically dispersed, perhaps we can open up the draft window to start earlier (better for European).

ACTION REQUEST: Please post or confirm what time zone you will be drafting from.
    I'm EDT.
    Jay's 1 hour earlier in CDT
    Mark is in KC and I think that is CDT like Jay.
    Coach Wiggum is in EDT.
    Michel is in Switzerland and I presume it is an hour later than UK time or GMT.
    Richard?
    Craig? I think Craig is in Las Vegas which I think is only 2 hours earlier than EDT and on MST.
    Jason?

Further, Please confirm your availability to participate fully or partially, via proxies, on this Saturday and Sunday's Go Slow Phase of this year's Small Rocks draft.

Also, please post any pre-planned proxy picker arrangements. As always, I can be anyone's proxy picker. I don't open up the PM with the proxy instructions until it is the turn for which I'd be making the proxy. I also do not make proxy picks using my judgement. All proxy picks I make are to specific instructions with whatever conditions the real manager imposes.

After you make your selection by posting same in this thread, please do not immediately disappear for 3 hours. Hang around for a few minutes at least, in case someone notices you picked a player who has already been selected. We'd like to avoid having to go to all stop this Saturday and Sunday awiting a manager to return and correct his selection to a legal pick.

I'll try to post Round Summaries after each round. I would also like each manager to show his latest roster with his latest pick in bold in the same post he announces his next selection. That way, people only have to review the last couple of pages in the thread to get caught up on player selections since their last pick.

Now, since Vegas2U has started the go as slow as you like phase of the draft, I'd better go and do my draft preparation. I haven't really done any preparations yet!

18. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, I am in KC, which is CDT.

19. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    Round 1 of Small Rocks 2006-7 Draft: Go as Slow as You Like Draft Phase

Pick Player Position Team Vaulation Team Name Bigsoccer Nickname
    1. Henry Striker Arsenal 14.0 Vegas Virgins vegas2u
    2. Yellowcake Phantoms DoctorJones24
    3. Pork Soda djangone
    4. Green Onions 1800-WorldCup.com
    5. Kopite Juniors kopiteinkc
    6. Aviators Hal
    7. FC Springfield ibreak4coffee
    8. Nocturnal United Darr_

Round 2 Draft Order

Pick Player Position Team Vaulation Team Name Bigsoccer Nickname
    9. Nocturnal United Darr_
    10. FC Springfield ibreak4coffee
    11. Aviators Hal
    12. Kopite Juniors kopiteinkc
    13. Green Onions 1800-WorldCup.com
    14. Pork Soda djangone
    15. Yellowcake Phantoms DoctorJones24
    16. Vegas Virgins vegas2u

20. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Here is my situation. I leave first thing Sunday morning for Japan. I will be there for a week, at which point I go to China and am there for a week and a half. Japan is 13 hours ahead of eastern standard time, China 12... since I'll be drafting after Nocturnal United, I think that makes a 14 hour difference from central time zone.

I am taking a blackberry, which I'm told works according to my coverage plan, and will try and pop in through internet cafes... I'm willing to try and sit at a cafe during a go fast phase as well (I think August 5 was identified by Hal... I'll be in Shanghai and available for a bit though since 10am will be 10pm for me.

Since none of this can be sure, I've prepared a proxy list. I'll PM Cannon again to see if his offer still stands. Otherwise, can anyone act as my proxy, with the knowledge that I will make all efforts to draft on my turn as much as possible?

21. djangone

djangone Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Los Feliz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Though 289 miles and 16 years apart, Craig Powell (vegas2u) and Richard Powell (djangone) are both Pacific Daylight Time, EDT -3, UTC -7 during these summer months.

22. 1800-WorldCup

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Checking In

6.40am....

Just checking in to see if a barge has moved down the canal overnight.

Notes nothing doing...... prepares to go back to sleep.

My Available Schedule (Central European Time)
    I'll be available at weekends for push the boat out racing tempo drafting.... apart from when we go shopping... which is conveniently when you're all asleep.

Things could start getting tricky again during the week, depending on my away from computer workload, but I'll know more about that on Saturday, or Monday; after I've made a few phonecalls.

23. vegas2u

vegas2u Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Brother Richard, djongone, has my proxy. He has been instructed to "make a pick, any pick" if it appears I am slowing down the process. I will declare when periods of inactivity will occur and when I can be expected to be "connected" as we move through the process and as I see where those times could be of interest. As for the time zones, yes, I am in the Pacific, but note that this post is occuring at 1:40am, which is to say that I live without a well defined sleep pattern. NOT something I recommend.

Not nearly as interesting as going to Japan and China.

Last week I almost went to Pitman, but decided against it as East Las Vegas (Pitman) was toooo far away.

24. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    Thanks for the recap. If Cannon isn't available I can be your proxy picker. You might want to send me your blackberry # and I'll give you a shout when it's your turn.

I haven't been into text messaging, so maybe someone who is used to text messaging would be a better proxy picker, someone who can text you a summary of what's happened in the last round to confirm your pick. Can one cut and paste the round by round pick summaries from the BigSoccer draft thread into a text message to send to Ralph's blackberry? Or, if we send Ralph an email with the latest draft info, can he read that on his blackberry? Considering how to reach Coach Wiggun when he is not plugged into the internet and not sure if his blackberry phone voice mail gets full or whether or not his email forwarding gets full.

It sounds like you've planned a great trip. Hopefully, we can get in a few rounds this week and on Saturday before you go to the Orient.

With Coach Wiggun traveling to Japan on Sunday, he will probably be totally incommunicado in a plane somewhere over the Pacific. Sunday's draft might be constrained based on his proxy picking instructions.

Don't forget about crossing the international dateline. Your Monday in Japan will be like our Tuesday here. In fact, or at least in fiction, you could leave on Sunday from the US and travel back to Saturday in Japan and maybe make a different draft selection in our Go Slow Phase starting next Saturday!

This reminds me of some trivia questions.
    A) What is the easternmost state in the United States?
    B) What is the westernmost state in the United States?

Usually, people waiver between Alaska and Hawaii as to which is the westernmost and between Maine and Florida for which is the easternmost.

In fact, Alaska is the correct answer for both since some of the Aleutian Islands stretch out across the international date line.

Imaging, learning geography on a soccer thread!

Too funny. I'm already liking your sense of humor.

I also recommend all the Small Rocks 2006-7 League managers subscribe to this thread to get an email notification for each new post.

Also, I suggest sharing a phone number with at least one other Small Rocks' manager so he can give you a quick phone shout that it's your turn to pick. Finally, we've also successfully used having each manager send a PM to the next manager to pick once he's made his selection. This should be especially helpful in the Go Very Slow and during the week in the Go Slow Phases of the draft.

25. 1800-WorldCup

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I've checked into Tito's former Summer Residence and there seems to be a wireless connection in the room.

:D