Official DP Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Rooney20, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok so now that Reyna is gone we will be able to use our DP slot. I figured id start this thread now because over the next 6-9 months there will be countless rumors, and countless stories on who the next DP which should be placed here. Anyone have any "realistic" thoughts on who we might bring in to replace Jozy?

Personaly I would like to see TH 14 here but i dont know how realistic it would be for him to sign for the 2009 season.

So thoughts on our next DP?

2. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juan Roman Riquelme

3. Ilvinotinto

Ilvinotinto Member

Apr 8, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    WOW, Riquelme , you certainly do not aim low lol , nothing bad yet being realistic way too expensive for this team.

I think JA knows will go out fishing to see what he gets in the next months and get a picture of the market. New Stadium , New DP and maybe if we get the championship who knows maybe their hearts will open up and make an LA type of offer to someone who can really bring amazing skills to this team.

(dreaming once again)

4. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Ives is stating that it is very, very unlikely that the Red Bulls will bring in a new DP this season. Push back one year and recompute.

5. Ilvinotinto

Ilvinotinto Member

Apr 8, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Woodrow that is correct the Red Bulls will not bring a DP for this season.

6. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UMMMMM No

Since it would be a DP we can spend anything we want. Im pretysure Red Bull could pay all of MLS teams salary cap if they wanted too.

7. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen you have to set the bar somewhere right Ives? :p

Heck I'd love to have a line up with Angle,Rojas,Riquelme...:eek: Might even add another DP say Angel takes a pay cut.

8. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said rumors, speculation for the next 6-9 months..I am sure they will sign someone by April 09 which is 9 months away and I am sure there will be a million rumors/stories and instead of having 1000 threads we should put them in here

9. Ilvinotinto

Ilvinotinto Member

Apr 8, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Rooney what i meant with too expensive was that Riquelme is worth a little bit too much for what the red bulls will need him for. For example, Would the Red Bulls make an offer for Christiano Ronaldo? well they probably can afford him , given the amount of cash the Red Bulls have , yet is it ideal to bring such a player to a team like the RB?

I would say , first balance the talent in the RB and then bring a player that can do amazing things at his prime. Certainly, Boca Juniors will not let him go easily , he is a Demi God in Argentina and buying him would come at a price that many people would say , " not a very good idea"

10. Kidtelex

Kidtelex New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    OOOH! i know! RONALDINHO! :rolleyes:

11. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. It would be beyond stupid to bring in a DP now. They really need to blow this team up and go back to the drawing board.

12. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jimmy Bullard.

(posting this to see if Sub is still around and kicking...) :p

13. Boreal

Boreal Member

Apr 11, 2001
    CT
    George Weah

14. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Riquelme said it himself; " I come to MLS for Beckham type deal." He's a big name, classic creative #10, very popular player, and respected by River fans.

Another, might be D'Alessandro, pay him around 3 million and signs right way. He's only 27 and playing at high level.

Crespo might not be a bad signing to replace Altidore.

Or Henry might be another, if deal Barca might be done.

Red Bulls should exploite this moment and real "big name".

15. zeusbrowne

zeusbrowne New Member

Dec 12, 2006
    West Orange, NJ
    Who was the Brasilian from the Japanese team who tore up all the MLS sides in the Pan Pacific Cup? Bare?

16. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Is something here, that all of you are not contemplating...

This resolution (new) about the DP by the MLS is fantastic, nothing better can come to the teams than this, in special the Red Bull.

In the beginning, any team who wanted to make use of the DP, must have to spend 400 thou. from the assigned CAP.

Now MLS say, that this rule are not necessary and that a team (Red Bulls in this case) can use the DP even if he has not CAP remaining, in other word, Red Bulls haven't need to spend a dime from the CAP to sign a DP...and they can use that 400 thou. for other players...

That's what I interpret about this late resolution from the MLS honchos...At least that's what the teams can say tomorrow, the way they interpret this new rule...

17. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Metz, here is what I believe is the deal:

Reyna retired, leaving an open roster spot, and open DP spot, but since this happened after July 1, he gets paid for the full year (his $450K against cap remains.)

So, we can still sign a DP for the remaining portion of this year, IF we have $200K salary cap space available (including the allocation we got for Jozy.) This number is a pro-rated DP roster hit (less than half the year left, so just under half the full year $450K salary cap hit.)

So, we can sign a player for $5M, of which $200K will go against the salary cap for this year.

But, all indications are that RBNY is not ready or willing to try and find the right DP player for the team as quickly as it would take to meet the transfer window deadline. And I don't blame them. If there is one position I'd be ok with them taking their sweet time in figuring out, it's this DP. Of course, if the right deal were to fall in their laps, I'd be pissed if they didn't jump.

After all, I was fully expecting to have Reyna fill the DP spot for the rest of the year, and I was hoping we could build a strong team around our real DP, Angel. I'm still ok with this situation, and viewing Reyna's departure as a roster spot available.

18. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    From what I know of the ever-changing MLS rules, and from what Goff reported, I think you have it exactly right.

Denilson ended up counting $150k against Dallas's cap last year because he came in late August, so any new DP signing's $$ would be prorated. But the Reyna money is still on the board for the year, so--not knowing how much the new signings beyond Rojas will cost, and not knowing how much of the Jozy allocation you can spend on salaries vs. transfer--I'm guessing there's less than $100k for a DP or non-DP.

19. SlowFox

SlowFox Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Let's face it: do we really want to entrust Agoos/Osorio with choosing our second (presumably big marketing) DP? Let's see how they do with the current signings, then reassess.

That's all we need: a new regime is put in place to usher in the RB Park era and they're stuck with a bozo DP signed, by the previous staff, to a multi-year deal. Can you spell R-E-Y-N-A (not that he is or was a bozo, but you get the idea)?

20. MiLo4891

MiLo4891 Member

May 14, 2007
    FLL
    Metro FO seems they want a DP for a multi year deal, and dont want to trot someone out at GS, but at the new park.

So no DP for this year, only other option is to sign a DP for the rest of the season, but whos gonna argee with that???

Seems Metro are just gonna have to sign an obscure name that hopefully can contirbute, on top of that Ives hinted JCO could already have someone in mind at striker!

Maybe someone like Robinson Renteria leading goalscorer of Venezuelen football and is Colombian, filling the boxes of what JCO been looking at lately.

21. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Let's go to the fact of things:

Once Reyna go, goes is the 400thou.

Now isn't 400thou, but MLS say the DP exist and can be used, that mean, that Red Bulls don't need a penny of the cap to sign the DP..

Isn't another way to interpret this, not matter what MLS can say tomorrow...

Because, they now, that they spend that money all ready, but are telling to the team, yes, no matter what, you can buy some body else, with another money, so, this buy can be done with money outside the cap, who cares...

22. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why aren't you Agoos in disguise? :( ;)

24. Ilvinotinto

Ilvinotinto Member

Apr 8, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    That sounds like a good idea yet i dont know if he would agree to it .

25. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, call him already, Jeff. ;)