Official DC United vs New England Revolution PRE Match Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 2, 2003.

1. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Well, fantastic for us that Twellman is out for this game, we all know his track record against United.

Sucks for New England and Taylor. I really wanted to see him get the Golden Boot this year. Looks like that scumbag Ruiz is going to get it again. :(

That said, this'll be another one goal grind. I'm going to say Martins gets his first, Columbus loses, and we get to the playoffs. :D

2. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it sucks, but what can you do? You guys will be without Rimando, Olsen, and Nelson(and Quaranta?). Revs without Twellman, Llamosa, Brown and maybe Joe-Max. I guess it maybe/sort of evens out. Just watch out for that Dario Fabbro. He might light you guys up. :D

Lee

3. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    yeah, glad we don't have to face him, but was really pulling for Twellman to beat Ruiz, I hate that guy.

4. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a shame--he is one hell of a player. From DC's perspective, this increases the chances that we'll finish third (ahead of NE), but decreases the chances that we'll finish second (because now the Metros face Dallas, and Twellman-less NE in their last three games). Second and third is pretty much a tossup--I dont' see much advantage to having the first or second playoff game at home. HOwever, finishing third would SUCK for me b/c I'll be out of town the weekend of the first playoff game (11/1).

5. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    man that is too damn bad for twellman. while i am cyncial enough to welcome any advantage, the football would be richer for it on saturday with him there.

this also means i guess if healthy jmm would play? while obviously jmm isn't quite there right now, he is a player who is known to have big games. an old dog often still has a bit of bite left. we still need to be aware of a threat from there. he is the kind of guy who can just explode.

he thrives in scramble type ball situations, warren will need fast decisions and sticky hands. he needs to keep it organized and call his balls quickly. the backline needs to take care to clear the ball and not lose moore in a scramble.

still can't figure either moore or kam is gonna go for a full 90 at full speed, ought to be some opportunities there.

i still say we can expose them both outside and centrally at the back. from what i have seen of martins he has pretty good fundamentals, he knows how to recieve and hold a ball in dangerous space, and it would seem his reading and passing might be improving. i think he can hold the ball and let the mids--all of whom pop up and attack well. i think we can expose either of their outside backs

i also like our chances against a recovering kam and ralston--i'd particularly like to see a prideaux or an invanov come down busting down the flank and release a stewart or convey or even a dema for nice diagonal run to the goal--they will i think be less dangerous on the counter than when twellman is around. it would seem like they might be a bit worse in the air, though as i am sure many jamacians will testify, jmm is pretty damn good with his head.

i imagine nicol will have them in some conservative scheme and try to create situations where ralston and cancela can play together--look for moore.

6. Twellman out for season with foot injury.

Thats too bad. He is a good player and I like him. Get well soon, Taylor.

DC United has had its share of injuries also. Hope we win and clinch a playoff spot this weekend.

7. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I am sorry to hear that. I really respect him as a player, as he is a hard working player who can be deadly given the slightest opportunity.

8. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
  9. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tv

could somone please give me the lowdown on what station and what day and time this game will be broadcast

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Re: tv

There is a thread on this board called "TV for New England?"

11. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    Wow... that really breaks me up inside. Let's crush this team and it's little red-headed runt of a defender. Clinch a playoff spot already.

12. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    While I feel sorry for Twellman, the Rev's, and their fans, for the loss of their most recognizable player... I do not want DC United to walk into that stadium with the idea that New England is in anyway a "wounded duck."

DC United is a perfect example of how a team can play without it's star players when "on a role." I think NE hasn't lost a game in several games. This is not a team to be taken lightly, with or without Taylor Twellman.

We better go into NE with a balls out aggression. We CANNOT let the Revolution leave this game with three points. I don't care who's house we're in.

13. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Absolutely agree with TCompton.

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just a little FYI,,,,while taylor was out before with the broken nose, the Revs scored 8 goals in 3 games against the likes of Chicago, mutts and SJ. beating chicago and the mutts. JMM did not play in these games either. The Revs are capable of putting points on the board without TNT. Actually they are a less predictable team with Taylor on the sideline.

15. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I strongly agree.

And like Begbie said, let's "Clinch a playoff spot already".

16. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    We will kick their sorry asses all over New England. 3-1 DC.

17. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly the right sentiment. They will look to step up with their best player out. We can have no sentimentality --- every player should look in their hearts and release their inner Dema! Three points or die.

18. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Kill! Kill!

19. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    But Revs are a wounded duck. Most of their players with serious injuries (enough to keep them out of play for at least one game) within the last month. Here's how it looks.

Starters
    GK - Brown (concussion)
    D - Franchino (sore calf - may miss DCU game)
    D - Llamosa (MCL - may miss DCU game)
    D - Pierce (leg)
    D - Heaps
    M - Ralston (leg)
    M - Cancela
    M - Joseph
    M - Kamler (leg - missed last game)
    F - Twellman (Out for season)
    F - Moore (injured most of this season)

Bench
    F - Brown (out for season)

I know DCU has had bad injury breaks as well since Reyes, but at the moment, it seems like NE is a MASH unit.

Looking forward to seeing Warren play, and congrats on getting Etcheverry back. I've often had the feeling I like his play more than you people do.

20. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    NE's roster does look decimated, and they are a wounded duck. However, I've seen enough soccer to know that a banged up team with reserves filling in can still be dangerous. (Look at United last weekend, for immediate proof.) I sincerely doubt that the boys will take this match lightly, even knowning the Revs injury woes. I've been duped before by them, but I think with everything riding on these last 3 matches, they'll be up and ready for them. So we go in, play balls out and get a playoff spot this weekend, right!

21. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Convey vs. Sh!tHeaps

Don't forget, Bobby owes Heaps for getting him sent off before his Farewell Match, vol 1.

Thx,

Jay!

22. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    release your inner Dema(n)s

I'm still trying to figure out how this is supposed to be a dis on Dema, but I loved this passage in a Revs fan's sig.
    That sounds like something that should get a Spuddy on the ASL mailing list.

24. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Whether you like Twellman or not, this is a guy who's endured the following this season:

* Concussion in training with U.S. National Team...

* Played part if not all of the 2003 FIFA Confederations Cup with "walking pneumoina"...

* Received concussion, broken nose, broken cheek-bone, and facial lacerations after being accidentally kicked by Dan Califf...

* Broke his foot on a goal in the Revs 4-1 win over Dallas, then coming out to play another 15 minutes running around on a broken foot, scoring his 2nd goal of the match in the process...

... all this and he's still managed to find himself (at present) #2 in the MLS Budwesier charts with 15 goals (most in the league,) and 4 assists through 22 games played. That's only four points less than what Preki's accomplished in five more games.

Funny thing is, Landon of Nazareth gets more press and trumps for MVP when the only thing he manages to get hurt is his ego.

It's gonna be a tough match Saturday night.

I say a 2-2 draw with Hristo getting the tying goal late.

25. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Nah, he gave him a solid thump in the ribs... that was payback enough for Heaps' little kick-out/breakdancing maneuver.