Official DC United vs New England Revolution PRE Match Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Read Kiwi's post and he confirms what I wrote about..

2. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    A couple of people close the Revs team are reporting that Twellman may not be able to go this weekend due to a knock to his left foot.. He got the injury in the second half of the Dallas match last weekend and came out for precaution when the match was out of hand and had it iced..

One poster in particular said tonight that " it's not good" when reffering to his injury..

This would be a big help to us........

3. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Now only if Adain Brown could get the flu...

4. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    earlier in the week i started writing this really long post about playing the 3-5-2 instead of the 4-4-2. But I got tired of writing it and decided not to post it, because I kept running off topic. To make a long story short, I think that Martins could be the answer to our lack of production in the 3-5-2, which I think is our best formation (at least on paper). I know that he hasn't scored any points yet, but he's a physical presence on the field and will no doubt score soon.

But going into New England, I think that we should start in the 4-4-2 with the line-up that most people have mentioned. Midfield is Bobby, Eliseo, Earnie, and Dema. If however, we notice that the Revs are running through the midfield without a problem, the we should sub out Galin for Marco, and shift to the 3-5-2 at this point. (I'm not sure if this is what we did last time we went to New England, but I think that Marco has had success against the Revolution.

Going into this match, we should play for the win and settle for a tie. We CANNOT allow NE to gain 3 points against us. I do not want the game against Columbus to be the deciding factor to get us into the playoffs.

Either way, I can't wait for the Crew match... I'm going through Barra Tailgate withdrawal.... uhmmmmm... tailgate.... beer.... uhmmmm.....

5. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Go out in the backyard... kick the soccer ball around, slam down 2 Fosters and call me in the morning....

The Doctor Is In :D

6. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    My bad. BTW, Goff ended any rumor of Etch playing.

7. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks for the additional information.

It makes more sense given the additional information.

I still think it was wrong that the New Zealand federation scheduled that game at this time, as they could have scheduled this in December when MLS season was over.

My main gripe was with a lot of other posters who have been saying that Marco should not have been playing for DC United all year long, but all of a sudden post that he is essential for this crucial game (to be fair some posters are saying that he should be on the bench, but still be in New England). They would also have taken to task if he were the captain and was leaving the team for a glorified friendly. Which is it?

More on this issue in Soccer America Confidential:

"MATCH DAY: Several countries have scheduled friendlies for this weekend, which is a FIFA international game window, and will thus denude MLS teams of key players.

Canada has called up Pat Onstad and Dwayne De Rosario of the Quakes. Jamaica has summoned Damani Ralph and Andy Williams of the Fire and Craig Ziadie of the MetroStars. New Zealand named Duncan Oughton (Columbus), Simon Elliott (Los Angeles) and Ryan Nelsen (D.C. United) for a game in Tehran against Iran. Bolivia has recalled D.C. midfielder Marco Etcheverry, who's played just once for his national team in the last three years.

San Jose, Los Angeles and Chicago aren't in the same boat as D.C. United, which hasn't clinched a playoff spot yet could finish as high as second. It trails the second-place Metros by three points with three games to play and is six points ahead of fifth-place Columbus, which it plays next weekend.

"This came out of the clear blue yonder," said United coach Ray Hudson of the Etcheverry call-up. "We just heard about it a couple of days ago and that's too late. We can't release him. I talked to Marco about it and he understands."

Technical Director Dave Kasper spoke by telephone with the Bolivian association officials Wednesday afternoon to inform them Etcheverry wouldn't be available.

"In the case of Ryan, they notified us a while ago," said Hudson. "We didn't want him to go and he didn't want to go, but sometimes you just have to push on.

"There should be some latitude for the clubs and the players for friendlies when they conflict with league games. I can't see Manchester United letting their players go for a friendly with a few games left in the season."

European leagues suspend play during FIFA International dates, which this weekend includes many crucial European Championship qualifiers. Etcheverry was called as a late replacement for Julio Baldivieso, who according to a Reuters news story failed to report for training when the Bolivian team gathered in La Paz on Monday. Bolivia plays Honduras Saturday at RFK Stadium a few hours after D.C. United faces the Revs at Gillette Stadium.

"I got the message yesterday [Tuesday]," said Kasper.

In the case of one-off matches (as opposed to a tournament), FIFA regulations state a national association must notify the player and his club in writing at least 15 days in advance of the match date.

Clubs may refuse to release a player for friendly matches if the date doesn't fall within the FIFA international calendar.

For the New Zealanders, they are playing Iran in a competition called the OFC-AFC Challenge Cup. It matches teams from the Oceania and Asian confederations.

"That's a long way to go," said Kasper of Nelsen's jaunt, which took him to Dubai to meet up with the New Zealand squad and from thence to Tehran."

Good luck against Iran.

Cheers.

8. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Yes it would be.

Unless Twellman cannot get up out of bed (due to this foot injury), I expect Twellman to show up for this very important game.

9. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Over the years I've seen probably every other (regular) MLS ref call at least one game competently - usually one that isn't particularly physical.

Not Saheli, though. He's remarkably inconsistent.

10. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Since I assume having stated what his weaknesses are, any specifics on why he fails against NE at d-mid? Just curious... my point about him playing d-mid was specifically in light of his weaknesses not being paramount with the central defender(s) behind him. Could be a matchup indication, or something you haven't menitoned yet..but I'd like to hear either way.

Whoa- My fault for not stating clearly- I am NOT a Marco-basher- in fact, count me 180degrees from there. My point was and still is that rumour seemed to be painting his dedication in a questionable light, whereas everything I'VE seen as well as heard from him has been the opposite. Given his callup would involve some communication between Bolivia and the team's front office, why doesnt the team end our speculation and spell it out? While we're at it, seems they got the message- they should have spelled out loud and clear who's making what decisions and what side those decisions came down on-rather than leaving us to guess at where any player in question's dedication/loyalty lie.. which they've done, no?

Having said that, I try to be realistic with respect to Marco's age- he's listed as being younger that I am, and IMHO that's extremely doubtful. Point being, if we're better served with youth and a work-ethic minded 4-4-2, it is a viable option to rest Etch this week to turn him loose next week at home where viably a more important game will be played.(arguably speaking as to which game is more important.)Just saying here I wouldnt necessarily make that decision, preferring him to play effectively, but I wouldn't blame Ray for thinking differently.

And while we're at it, folks, thanks a ton for the respect FIFA. Just for fun, folks that follow the EPL, how many FIFA international date's fall in your last 3 weeks of the season? This is ridiculous.
    You can cry about our lack of talent all you want
    from across the pond. But last time I checked, US money was still good, especially in light of your gold-digging tour de force this past year. Is FIFA's governing body a bit schitzophrenic or what? First deciding a need to improve the sports popularity stateside, putting on a tour w/Man U et al..then sticking us with an international callup date right in the crunch of our season. Or is it the case of trying to sell a superior product over a competitor which in their eyes doesn't really matter? Either way, can't see anyone arguing any considerable thought on their part in considering MLS's season in assessing this date. If it did come up, most likely we lost out due to other league's consideration.

Good luck to Nelly, hope he builds an immunity to jet-lag, and comes back with his chest out and even more grit for our homestand.

11. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Unless an emergency family wedding comes up.

12. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, my by calculations our magic number for placing third (which would make a big difference versus placing fourth, given the more favorable matchup it woudl create) is 8. The most points NE could get from their last three games would be 9. That would give them 45 poitns. To get to 46, the lowest number that would assure us of finishing ahead of NE no matter how well they do, we will need 8 more points. A win on Sat. would take us down to a mere two points needed in our last 2 games. But even a tie would take the MN down to 5, which is also pretty feasible.

13. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    :D

I wonder who they would pick up as emergency replacement? Lassiter? Diaz-Arce? :D

14. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Achievable numbers.

15. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    GK: Adin Brown
    RB: Jay Heaps
    CB: Rusty Pierce
    CB: Daouda Kante
    LB: Marshall Leonard
    RM: Steve Ralston
    CM: Jose Cancela
    CM: Shalrie Joseph
    LM: Brian Kamler
    FW: Pat Noonan
    FW: Taylor Twellman

ne boards suggest this as their line up. both twellman and kam have been held out of training this week with injuries but will apparently play. llamosa still out. apparently moore is healthy but not likely to start.

i like our chances against this line up. i think warren works to our advantage here, he is a bigger keeper than nick and plays more of a "big keepers" game, controlling more space in the box and better able to get balls in the air. this could limit twellman's effectiveness, especially if his left foot is still bad.

i also think their defense is more weakened than ours, both losing the key central defender.

i like the midfield match ups here. while i respect cancela's ballhandling, he doesn't have the most dogged defense or highest workrate. our guys ought to be able to creat some chances in the midfield. if kam is banged up, a stewart, convey or somebody on the wing might create some chances. on the oppostie side, running ralston out of the match would removing a big part of their atack.

i like this match up, i see two pretty well matched teams and i'd predict the nets get a bit of a work out. i am gonna throw caution to the wind and say 3-2 the good guys.

16. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    RE: the NZ-Iran "friendly" (whether they call it a Cup or not, and whether FIFA sanctions it as one or not, matters not a whit to me) is ridiculous. If NZ want to schedule this during the MLS crunch time, then don't include 3 MLSers, two of whom are vitally important to their teams playoff hopes. Maybe I'm being a little touchy here, but it shows a distinct lack of respect to the players and the league. Now, the MLS may consider getting into synch with the FIFA calendar, so it's not completely blameless, but I find Nellie going half-way around the world for a meaningless fixture more than a little annoying.

Anyway, if NE goes with the lineup posted earlier in the thread, I like our chances. (Especially if Twellman isn't 100%.) I welcome Warren back from wedding duties, Martins into the lineup for his first goal in DC colors and Etch as Captain in Nellie's absence (does this belong in another thread?), if he plays like last Saturday. This is a big match and I hope we perform.

17. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Interesting news in today's Boston Herald:

Revolution notes

To call the Revolution a battered bunch right now would be an understatement. Taylor Twellman missed his second day of practice yesterday with a bad left foot. Brian Kamler sat out because of a variety of small ailments. Joe Franchino (left calf) did not train. Joe-Max Moore (left MCL) worked out on his own. Carlos Llamosa said he hopes to be back training next week. . . .

Coach Steve Nicol yesterday was away attending to personal matters. Assistant Matt Driver was also absent, having the screws removed from the ankle he broke in July. Goalkeeper coach John Murphy conducted practice.

http://sports.bostonherald.com/soccer/soccer.bg?articleid=21

18. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    It's a FIFA date, set up precisely to avoid these types of conflicts. Blame MLS for playing on FIFA dates.

Sachin

19. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman is done for the year.

20. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Seriously??

21. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Tony Biscaia came back from practice today with the info. :(

I suspected as much, as reports from someone who should know over the last few days indicated his foot injury might be pretty bad.

Lee

22. Perhaps you should show more respect for New Zealand. To them, this cup matters. Winning it will likely bring in much needed cash and push them up the world rankings. Would you feel the same way if we were talking about USNMT players and something like the CONCACAF Gold Cup or Confederations Cup, which many outside this region regard as 'meaningless' ?

The whole point of having a FIFA international calendar is to reserve known dates for internationals, thus avoiding these kinds of clashes. The New Zealand federation is not to blame since this match was scheduled with respect to the international calendar, which most leagues around the world also respect. MLS is the one at fault here, not the New Zealand federation.

23. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    That's a shame. For your team and Taylor. I hope Taylor makes a fast recovery

24. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    What, was Nicol's wife unavailable to run practice?

25. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA

Yes, I would feel the same way. It's a POINTLESS GAME. This CUP does not really exist. Screw the FIFA rankings.

Now, I said it in my post that the MLS isn't blameless. However, NZ should think about the logistics of getting their players halfway around the world in the buildup to the playoffs. It's BS.

But, if we're going back to the pre-game thread, it sucks that Twellman's out for the year... but I'm sure as hell glad that we don't have to face him. Sure made our task easier.