Official DC United vs New England Revolution PRE Match Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    DC United vs New England Revolution

• Saturday, October 10, 4:00 EST •

• Television •
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Live on FSNE and Dish/DirecTV Shootout.
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Tape delay 8:00 EST on digital cable Indemand Shootout.
    DCUnited.com Match Preview - Including TV, Radio and Webcast Information
    MLSNet Match Notes
    English Webcast - WMET
    Other Webcasts
    PBP Chat Information

• Note • Watch it with the spoilers folks. This game is tape delayed for anyone with digital cable.

This post will be updated later in the week for corrections and additions.
    Items in gray will be updated once available or confirmed.

No Flames • No Trolls

2. JuanMa

JuanMa Member

Jul 22, 2003
    MD
    LINEUP for DC United @ Revolution

After injuries and all... what do you think we should do next match?

I would say 4-4-2

G- Baumstark
    D- Namoff, Prideaux, Petke and Ivanov
    M- Dema, Stewart, MAE, Convey
    F- Cerritos, Martins

Stoichkov can go in for Martins or Cerritos if one of them is not having a good match. Or Alegria for one of them if we need to defend a lead in the last 20 min.

If Baumstark has U-20 duty... Doug Warren?

3. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nothing like replying to an invalid thread when it moves on you...
    Unless Doug really pissed Ray off, I wouldn't count on ever seeing Baumstark again, and I believe he is in LA.
    I'm gonna miss watching Benny and Joey beat on each other all match long, I hope whoever is in Benny's spot can take it. Or just dust the little midget (apologies to little people on the boards).
    Are we sure Dema's playing? I hope so, we need his energy, though with this formation he is simply covering for Marco.
    I hate breaking up the Stewart/Cerritos thing, but without Ben, Earnie may just have to live on the wings and in the middle, but Cerritos doesn't seem to be as dangerous with Martins as he is with Stewart up top. I would send Stoich in for Marco, or in for Martins and send Earnie up front. Hristo plays midfield even when they call him a striker.

4. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I think Dema's playing, next yellow he'll probably be suspended.

5. Dema should play - he had to sit out the Cowbus game because of yellow card point accumulation. Same goes for Petke. It will be good to have them back.

Unfortunately we lose Nellie this week due to a New Zealand international game. He will be missed. Hopefully Namoff will continue his recent run of good play.

My point of view is that Martins belongs in the starting 11 as a forward and Stewert is and always was a winger. Dema should be right next to Etch to cover any defensive let downs Etch is bound to have. Though I have to give Etch his credit in that he was playing defense in the second half of the Cowbus game.

If we can win this one we will be in great shape for making the playoffs. Regardless of what that yellow football team does.

-The Far Side

6. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Will this away match only be televised via the shootout package, if it is available on TV at all?

What local food and drink establishments show games from the shootout package?

When will this info be known, and will viewing parties be organized?

Do these questions need to be addressed in a separate thread?

7. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    NEWS FLASH!!!!

On the heels of Doug Warren's absence last weekend, other DCU players will be absent for the upcoming tilt vs NE:

Marco Etcheverry- out to attend his child's school play.
    Earnie Stewart- scheduled to wash his hair that night.
    Chino Alegria- Went back home (to Peru) to attend father's birthday on Monday. Will be back as soon as sudden and unexpected visa problem is resolved.
    Dema Kovalenko- Third cousin twice removed in Kiev is to be divorced Saturday night.
    Elisio Quintanilla- This hobbit needs his yearly foot hair cleaning done this weekend. It's scheduled every year at this time as the club is aware of.
    Bobby Convey- ManU wants him for a trial on Friday; Real Madrid, Saturday, Bayern Munich, Sunday.
    Ronald Cerritos- A little known clause in his trade to us is that once a month on the 11th he must spend a night in Dallas walking around Dragon stadium praising St Jude for engineering the trade out of hell.

Other players will also be absent, but to keep this article short (and to allow you, the reader, to speculate on why other players are absent) here is Saturday's lineup vs NE:

-----------------Geddes

-----------------Stokes

-----------------Carroll

Stokes will handle all defensive duties; Carroll the offensive ones, and Geddes of course, will be in goal. When asked why Jorge in goal and not some other loaner, ray hudson said," First of all, all possible replacements are busy this weekend, and second, although Jorge was not ready last week- face it, he really sucked worse than Anna Nicole Smith- he's now completely ready. In fact we waived both Nicky and Doug because Jorge is so good. I only wish I could see it but I have to attend the Prairie dog rodeo in Gillette Wyoming. I'm the Grand Marshal of the parade.

8. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Originally posted by Footer Phooter
    Dema was suspended 10/4 for having accumulated 21 caution points. He received cautions in the 9/20 and 9/28 games, so I suppose in theory if he got a caution in the next game they could suspend him again for three cautions in three successive games, if they don't count the game he sat out as breaking the string of three.

Or, of course, he could be suspended if he gets ejected on Sunday. :)

Otherwise, he would have to accumulate 11 more caution points to be suspended for the home game against the Crew, something even Dema would have trouble doing in one game.

9. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    That's entertaining, but seriously, do we know Warren's personal reasons for not being able to play in Columbus on 10/4?

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    That's not quite right. Dema was suspended on 10/4 for three yellows in three consecutive games (9/20, 9/25, 9/28). He's still on official warning for 21 points. So one yellow card and he's out one game.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75636

11. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 New Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if we knew, that would make them public reasons for not playing.

I'm content with Warren's private life and priorities being private. If Hudson's OK with it, then fine.

Unless he was on a bender, in which case, he should have made it public so we all could have joined in.

12. wiede

wiede New Member

Warren was attending a sibling's wedding. Apparently -- as with most weddings :) it had been planned for some time. Warren had been anticipating sitting on the bench for the game (as he had for most of the season). See "Crew - DC [R] Doug Warren" thread for more details.

D/

13. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    If Dema was not to get a yellow until the last game of the season, he would have to sit out the first playoff game, right? So if we clinch a spot before the final game, he should just sit until the playoffs.

The only thing we need to do is win, we can't worry about what Columbus will or won't do.

---Cerritoes--Martins---
    ----------MAE/Hristo--------
    Convey----Dema----Stewart----
    Namoff--Prideaux---Petke------Ivanov
    ---------Warren-------------

OR play a 3-5-3 with Namoff at D-Mid, allowing Dema to roam forward more. Also at no point in time should Etch and Hristo be on the field together.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I believe cards are cleared for the playoffs. So if we go into our last match needing points and Dema needs to get a yellow to preserve a lead then by all means, get the yellow.

15. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    It's my understanding though that a red card in the last game does carry over.

I like this lineup, except there's this nagging voice that tells me that the Revs generally win the midfield batttle against us. Except of course when they collapse like they did last time. With that in mind, I'd like to see Ivanov as a co- d-mid with The Demanator. I like Galin more than Namoff there because, well, Namoff makes fewer mistakes, and also because it allows Ivanov to get into the attack some.

16. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Having gotten one wrong on this topic, I could be missing something here, but this is what MLSNet says:
    Which sounds to me like Knave and ursula have this right, and that Dema can afford to get a caution in our last match without it carrying over, but he won't get a bye on any post-ejection suspension.

17. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    DC United will manage to obtain at least a tie from this game.

And after this Warren controversy, Warren better give DC United three straight shutouts or Ray should sit him on the bench for the playoffs.

18. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

Aug 9, 2003
    Cary NC
    Club:
    DC United
    No joke, the Revs has some good talent as they have shone over the past couple of games. Petke, Nelson, Namoff (yes, Namoff - he should start!!!) need to be sharp against Kamler, Ralston, and Twellman. Best that we keep possession.

That being said, I love the thought of Franchino, Pierce and Heaps trying to rough up Thiago Martins. Good luck. They'll be the ones rolling around on the pitch!

19. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Our defense better be up for this one, or it will be a very long 90 minutes. Sorry to sound like Sormun, but that's the way I see it.

20. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I agree with that, I was just saying if going into the last game of the season we are only plaing for seeding and not a spot, then I think it would be wise to hold Dema out.

21. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

Aug 9, 2003
    Cary NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Okay, I'll fix my post -- Nelson is in Teheran playing for the All-Whites. Duh. I mean "Petke, Prideaux, Namoff (yes, Namoff - he should start!!!) need to be sharp against Kamler, Ralston, and Twellman."

22. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    throw this out there for speculation- how about....?

Was impressed with Q2's many one-timer clearances from the right back throughout the later part of the 2nd half. Maybe we see the following:

---Warren---
    Prideaux --Petke---Namoff
    ----Ivanov-------Dema---
    Quintanillia--Stewart--Convey
    Martins----Cerritos

subs- Etch, Stoich, Stokes, Geddes(Alegria), Esky

I offer this in light of Etch and Hristo's 2nd half presence last game. Once again, we could look to sew up the middle, with good speed on either back side. With Galin's better showing in adding to the attack, like the idea of him teaming up with Dema as an added layer for Twellman to have to fight through.How's that for a marking scheme- Dema and Galin on Tyler and Ralston? With Petke running the air control tower at the back?

Another plus- we have decent wheels up front, especially if Bobby gets his head back 100%- we saw flashes near the end last week. And then, depending on the result at the half, use Diablo and the Wolf to help hold or even pull us well ahead.

23. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Here's my .02 at the starting X1:

-------------- Warren ----------------

Ivanov ---- Petke -- Prideaux -- Namoff

Q2 ----- Dema ----- Stewart ---- Convey

--------- Martins --- Cerritos ----------

I think Ray will probably go with the hard working midfield and bring Marco on in the second half if we need to tie the game up or go ahead, depending on how the game is flowing..

I think this is a serious danger game for United in that NE is definitely playing well (4-1-1 in it's last six games - reminiscent of their late run last season) now and will have that last match at Foxboro, and even our stoppage time winner at RFK on their minds..

In all honesty, they are playing very good soccer right now and I see this as a toughie.. Normally under these same conditions I would predict a NE win straight away, but United is playing well on the road of late and depending on the Crew/Fire result on Friday night (go Fire), we may only need a draw to clinch a playoff spot..

One bad thing does loom though from this matchup.. If NE wins, we drop to 4th place in the standings though we will have two home games to close out the season..

I see a 1-1 draw..

Twellman 35'(of course)

Martins 56'

24. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Pretty much in agreement with this post. The back line has to come up big. Not a great time to be losing Nellie. Ivanov HAS to have a big game. Clear out and keep them off Warren. That midfield should work well together, and if Cheyo gets gassed, bring in Marco at the 65-70 minute mark.

My prediction
    We tie it up late and come home with a point

DC 2
    Revs 2

25. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    A draw in NE coupled with a Crew loss at the Soldier Field homecoming for the Fire means we're in the playoffs, right? Or is it just a guaranteed tie for fourth?