Official DC United vs New England Revolution PRE Match Thread :: Conference Final

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Crewbasher

Crewbasher Member

Jul 7, 1999
    The Enemy Base
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Official DC United vs --------------- :: Conference Finals :: [NE vs CB -R-]

I'm just gonna pop in here for a sec and say that Ralston was perhaps our most solid defender this season. Sure, it's definitely a wise idea to keep him from the offensive side of the ball, but if it's Ralston defending against Gros on that side, you guys might want to play a lot of balls down your right side.

In any case, it looked like you guys had a great crowd last night. Keep up the good work as far as fanfare is concerned. Best of luck (until the game starts, after which you are my sworn mortal enemies whom I wish for God to smite with hellfire, but no hard feelings, right?) ;)

2. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Re: Official DC United vs --------------- PRE Match Thread :: [NE vs CB -R-]

Woohooo!!!! I've been saying this was going to be the outcome since we knew it would be us and the Mutts together (regardless of position).

I personally would prefer to see KC in the final instead of LA. I think we have the ability to take either team, but if it's LA I don't think even our boys and girls can bring it hard enough to nullify the home field advantage (thought I fully expect them to make a damn good show of it). Even though the LaLas hate us, I figure they would be more upset at KC for bouncing them that at least a few might join our cause to make it 4 in '04.

-dave

3. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Official DC United vs --------------- :: Conference Finals :: [NE vs CB -R-]

I was just looking to neutralize him, not capitalize on him. It's real tough to create goals from your own corner of the field.

4. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Here are the salient qualities of a DCU-NE game:

1. It's physical. Both teams feature several good-to-high quality effort/ high work rate guys: Olsen, Namoff, Carroll, Pierce, Heaps, Joseph are not the only ones. Because of this, one shouldn't expect many chances for either team.

2. DCU's five man midfield dictates strategy. NE has tried to play their preferred 442 vs United but they get dominated if they do and after awhile Nicol always has to adjust. When NE plays 442, DCU pretty much plays in NE's end. When they change to a 352 then the ball tends to ping around in the midfield.

3. Moreno and Gomez being the most skilled creators out there tend to give United a distinct advantage regardless of the formation NE has. NE has no one like those two, guys who can create their own shot. Well Twellman can create if he gets the ball close enough but United's midfield cuts off his service. Noonan is not fast enough; he matches up poorly with United. Cancela gets swallowed up in the midfield, as does Ralston. Moreno (especially) and Gomez won't have many chances but they will come.

3. Because NE's forwards are good at running at the defense and the midfield will be either clogged or dominated by DC, expect to see Hendrickson to have a sore noggin from heading out so many long balls. NE is a good team to have Hendrickson sub for Nelsen. Namoff and Carroll and Olsen will look at Twellman closely. Petke and Gros will keep an eye on Noonan and Ralston. Hendrickson will play centerfield.

4. DCU will need to keep the ball on the ground if they want to score. Fast movement and one touch will win the game for United.

5. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's like the Price of Right guy always said ... "Come on down!"

Mike - This is a great day for Benny, the Bus, Plex and Steeler fans everywhere.

Next Saturday will be a great day for DCU. I think anyone on United can take a penalty better than what we out of Sanneh - that was amazing.

I don't discount New England's chances at all. Losing Nelsen hurts big time. But I really think United has too many weapons. It'll be tight, it'll be a nailbiter, but I'd say 2-1 United if I have to make a prediction.

6. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

God is a DC United fan. :)

So is El Diablo :D

7. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Please do be our guest at the Barra tailgate! Then come jump with us (though you might want a poncho). :D

GM

8. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Congratulations on knocking out Columbus.

9. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Whether or not it's an MLS run competition is irrelevant. It's a competition that every MLS team is in, and where every MLS team competes for the title. We got spanked by an A-league squad, and they won it. Let's not belittle the accomplishment. If we had won it, we would be using it as evidence of why Nowak should be coach of the year.

10. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

I'll be very interested in who the ref will be. the game will be physical and I just hope we don't get a ref who thinks cards are the answer to everything.

Also: In four games against United, the Revs have scored in one.

11. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA

I'd say the same thing about it if we had won it. The Open Cup is not part of the league and should have no bearing on league awards. If it counts for COTY, shouldn't it count for MVP? Scoring leader? Rookie of the Year?

The answer to all of them is "no."

And I still think Gansler should win COTY.

12. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When you mean scoring, you mean scoring for them, right? They've got at least one for us this year.

13. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC

My wife and I have our tickets to LA and her brother, who used to live in DC, has the MLS Cup tickets. Now we just have to beat that boring New England team. DC can do it! DC is at home. We haven't lost on our turf with the great fan support. Do the same rules apply in the playoffs that apply in the regular season concerning substitututes? If so, DC will have a much deeper bench than New England at next weekend's game. Thank you New England for snagging another home game for DC this year before they wreck the stadium to make it baseball friendly. Now roll over and let DC go to the MLS Cup!

14. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

don't count chickens early, hope and support but don't be so sure.

15. Crewbasher

Crewbasher Member

Jul 7, 1999
    The Enemy Base
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Our pleasure. :D

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Very good points, but I still think it counts for something. We aren't talking about stats, which i think must be separated. However, managing a good team in the league WHILE playing the extra games in the Cup is something that goes to his coaching acumen, and he did it. With that being said, I won't hijack the thread. I'm ready to rock at RFK, and i'm certainly bringing some people to help out! :)

17. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't forget the fact that United will be without nelsen and dema. nelsen is hudge because he is such a leader however playing at home where we are at our best is curtial. If we can attack and keep our form we will be in MLS Cup 2004. also lets hope that the Wizards can beat the Galaxy or MLS Cup will be a lot harder

18. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Let's not forget that

WE ARE PLAYING FOR HARDWARE this Saturday: Eastern Conference Champs!

GM

19. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Amen GrillMaster! Let's take this one match at a time folks.

Nelsen and Dema being out is not going to help our cause much, but we definitely have good replacements for them. EZ is gonna be able to fill the gap pretty good, and I'm thinking given how well Feddy did after coming in as a late sub, he may just need to stay in that role for the Conf. Final. He seemed to be able to provide that extra speed and attack that was needed at the end.

20. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA

BRING IT!

21. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

what does the eastern conference chmpionship trophy look like?

22. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Even though they missed the handball in the box I wouldn't mind having the refereeing crew from the Revs-Crew match, because THEY LET THE BOYS PLAY!

I know it's just me, but I often see the clouds and ignore the silver lining. Here's what is worrying me:

EZ will have to be on his game. Yesterday, when he subbed in for Earnie (why?) he was outleaped for every head ball by Leitch and Parke. Nicky was deliberately serving the ball his way, and he didn't get one of them. If he is in central defense, he's going to have to dominate in the air.

Gros v. Ralston will be an interesting match. Ralston is a complete player who can be a difference maker if he is allowed to run free and create. We can't concentrate only on Twellman, Noonan, and Cancela.

Presumably Gomez will be over the flu, but if he is not fit it means that we have to burn a sub earlier than we may want to. He had nothing last night. And Moreno has to stow his "South American" game and play all out all the time. Right now it is pretty clear that he isn't going to shoot so you just need to clog the passing lanes. Go to the goal and rip one, Jaime, and make the Revs overload you even more. That wey we are sure to have someone open. But you have to give up the ball before you are swarmed and dispossessed!

Commence ripping me now---

(I still see a DCU win)

23. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You can sort of see it in this picture - in happier days for the Fire.

[​IMG]

24. WeAreUnited

WeAreUnited New Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Annandale VA

Where is a good place to get tix for the game in D.C.?

25. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC

We may need to get used to having EZ as our go-to guy in the defense, if Nelson leaves us.... Unless we acquire someone in the offseason, he's it, cuz I don't think Namoff's ready yet, Pridexous is largely a waste, and I don't think Petke's steady enough . Good thing I think EZ's up to the task. We just need to work on his vertical leap. :)

I've been a long time Kovalenko fan, but I think we can certainly get over not having him next weekend.