Official DC United vs New England Revolution POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    This match is tape delayed for those with the digital cable shootout. Please watch the spoilers. This thread will open later.

No Flames - No Trolls

2. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
  3. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
  4. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Well it's over. Playing for the tie and we got beat in OT. I was hoping that we could take the next couple weeks to play the rookies and recuperate, but now we have another tough match against the Crew.

Damn.

5. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    What the *#*#*#*#? Man, we could have clinched, and once again we blow it in the stupid overtime?

6. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Overtime is no friend to United that's for sure..

4th loss of the season in OT and now the pressure is really on for United to close out Columbus..

1-0 as Chris Bagley (?) earns the PK as Prideaux hacks him down in the box and Ralston sends Warren the wrong way..

The Revs certainly didn't deserve to win the match given how badly they played in the second half, but again, we come up short in OT..

Warren had a fantastic match as did Namoff and Quintanilla (though he could have sped up play a little bit more)..

I though Convey was dreadful and Kovalenko gave away as many balls today as he has all season.. Marco wasn't good, wasn't bad but his corners continue to be horrific.. I think Cerritos has really leveled off and has become the stale player we all thought was coming to DC after the trade.. I think Martins is still playing relatively dangerously but he didn't have much support tonight.. I still think the Cerritos/Stewart forward combo needs to be looked at again, but the injury to Olsen really derails that ability at the moment..

I was kind of puzzled to see how this team was lining up for the entire game.. Though the pre-game lineup said 3-5-2 it looked more like a 4-4-2 with Bobby playing left back to me..

This should have ended in a 0-0 draw but now we have some work to do..

It's all in our own hands right now..

7. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I don't agree that we played for the tie.. We were the team moving forward thru much of the second half while the Revs seemed to be the ones content to come out with a draw..

8. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    And it's over. F this crap. Another game we lose in OT. I'm so damn tired with this OT crap. Why the hell can't we get over this "there needs to be a winner" mentality. Crap like this is why the rule should be changed.

9. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    I was so excited for the playoffs before Olsen went down. Since we're 0-2-2 in all competitive matches and it looks like we're forcing ourselves to squeak into the playoffs.

I'm flying back to DC for what I expect to be our Nov 1st home game, but i'm not nearly as optimistic.

10. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was one of those unfortunate games where while neither team straight out went for the tie, in all likelihood - neither team would have been disappointed by it.

Think of it from NE's perspective, missing the guys they were, a tie today knowing DC plays Columbus next week and that they are helped regardless that result (assuming a win in NE's next match), and it adds up to what was probably a stale, drab, 0-0 draw, given United's position. However, I don't see anything in Columbus lately that says they are going to get 3 points here next weekend. (crossing fingers so as not to be a jinx)

In terms of the OT, any word from those who saw it on the penalty to Prideaux - in terms of legitimacy of the call? If it was truly a good call, then it was a drastically poor play.

ECM

11. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Although, the result WAS bullshit, we can only blame ourselves.

I don't know why Ray is so fucking terrified of attacking on the road. And why didn't we sub out Prideaux? Why only one sub? This was a travesty. We looked like a bunch of 4 year olds in front of the net. Bobby's touches were awful, I fear for the U-20 team. Eliseo's rightfootaphopia has got to stop right fucking now. He blew AT least 3 good chances in the first half because of his unwillingness to shoot. Prideaux was horrendous. Ralston was the Brandon Prideaux to Brandon's Cobi Jones. Nelsen was conspicuous by his abscence. Fuck you NZ. Martins and Dema were the exceptions to our horrendous outfield performance. Warren was a stud, and saved us from sure defeat early on. That's the only positive I can draw from this trainwreck. They better make Columbus our bitch next week, because they have a lot to make up for. Ray, get this team in gear, because Chicago and the Metro are going to tear us apart if we keep this up.

Fuck.

12. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Ed,

It was a legitimate penalty. A poor decison from Prideaux who honestly didn't have one of his better games today..

As for the suggestion that we sub out Prideaux by SABuffalo786, why on Earth would we do that? Who exactly on the bench is worthy of playing that spot? The much maligned Ivanov? I don't think so.. The rookie Stokes who hasn't played a second of MLS time yet? Again, no way in hell..

It was stupid mistake by Brandon and I'm sure he's kicking himself over it.. He'll bounce back against the Crew next week..

Seriously though, what was up with Marco bitching at the end? Go back to the locker room.. It was an easy PK call to make..

13. dcuvabeach

dcuvabeach New Member

May 9, 2002
    So we have now gone well over 3 league games without a goal in the run of play...2 PK's by Etch..Not exactly what you call 'on a roll' heading into the playoffs (a big HOPEFULLY)...So now we have to get one point out of our final two games to get back to the promiseland...And I would HATE for it to come down to the last game of the season, as I am sure all of you would hate that too!

14. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Did you see what Ralston was doing to him? Prideaux just plain sucked this game(The penalty not included). I'm not saying to bench him permantly, but for this game, yes, I would've taken Ivanov for Prideaux.

15. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

While I agree that it's awful that we're having to rely on the spot for our goals, I'm pretty confident we'll make the playoffs. If nothing else for the fact that Columbus just imploded. They have to win all of their games, and we have to lose the rest of ours.

16. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Is it just me or does DCU lose every time we play a 3-5-2??? It puts way too much pressure on our outside wingers. Convey and Quintanilla both had poor games today b/c they were too focused on their defensive responsibilities. Did Etch have a decent touch today? When was the last time he had a good touch?

We should stick w/ a 4-4-2 from here on out. Let 4 defenders take the pressure off of Convey and Quintanilla.

On the positive side, I think Warren had an outstanding game.

17. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Chris. Appreciate the rundown.

ECM

18. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

That's what baffled me. If we're playing for a draw, why do we only have 3 defenders?

:confused:

I don't get it.

Oh, and watch, they're going to announce Warren played through some knee injury and will be out for the rest of the year.

I wouldn't bet against it.

:rolleyes:

19. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    One point next week...

PLEASE!!!

(so the purge in Columbus can begin!)

20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The only people who think the 3-5-2 is a good fit for this team are Trask and Hudson. :mad:

21. Blublub

Blublub New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hmm...a home match at the same time the Sox-Yankees playoff game is on. I didn't see the game, were there like 10 people in the stands?

22. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Considering the baseball game, the crowd was pretty decent. 12,000 or so.

23. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Fine, they sucked. But for the love of all that is good and holy in world, Ray, why the hell didn't you sub more? Q2 was gassed, Etch can barely play 90 with U-10s, Prideaux was clearly hurting, Cerritos looked confused, and Convey, man, he looked very confused.

A fresh Ivanov is better than a tired, hurt Prideaux.

A fresh Chino is better than a tired, lazy, Q2.

Stoichkov for Martins? When the number of decent touches Cerritos had was equal to the number, oh, screw it, it was zero.

That was bleeping frustrating to watch.

Namoff was good. Petke was fine. Dema was at least average. Warren was tremendous.

The rest stunk.

:(

24. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Exactly.

25. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    What matters is what we do in the playoffs.

Just get a point against Columbus in the next game, then rest the starters to prepare for the playoffs