Official DC United vs New England POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Jul 27, 2002.

1. cdunnington

cdunnington New Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Here's a blast from the past: Mike Burke. I saw him a couple weeks ago playing with the Kickers in Richmond. Tino he is not, but he has a some similar qualities. Particularly, his ability to run back to MF to receive the ball, turn on his defender, and carry into a dangerous spot. When I saw him, I was thinking he would pair better with Moreno than anyone on the current roster.

2. sormun

sormun New Member

Jul 13, 1999

I did say Convey performance was crap.I think, I had the right arguments to prove it.Despite the majority of the DCU fans,Cweedchop included,I believe Convay is a talented teenager but, he belongs to A-league level at the best.Neither his technical skills nor his physical qualities were a reason to select him for a professional team.TR made a mistake by bringing him, in the first place.His record in MLS proves my point.

I did not say Eliseo performance was great!!Please, read my note one more time!I said he was trying to play 1-2(one-two)short,on the groud passes in the penalty area and none of our players understood his intentions,including Convey.I think Eliseo played a decent game, taking into account his level of prepareness;not a great game anyway.

I have told you guys that our moment of sorrow is gonna be saturday!!Unfortunatelly,I was right again.
    Why is so hard to see the reality??We have the worse midfield in MLS!!Short,without physical qualities,no technical skills,no drive,no nothing... this is our midfield.How in the world are we gonna win games without a decent midfield??I have said before, all the midfielders need to go,including Convey!!IMHO,we are not gonna improve playing with those midfielders!!!No way!!How many games we will lose, untill, you guys can see the truth???

3. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    sormun, you're an idiot.

4. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Convey to the A-league! I'm with DCU.

5. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be true but I wouldn't know because his posts are too hard to read.

Sormun, it's traditional to insert a space after punctuation marks like commas and at the end of a sentence. If you would try to do this it would make your rantings much more readable.

Thanks.

6. weasel

weasel Member

Oct 31, 2000
    NYC
    sormun is right, we need to get some real players in here.

I say we dump Convey and pick up Giggs. Villegas goes for Beckham. Etch, Williams..... gone. Get Veron and Keane. I mean, what the hell is Hudson thinking?

Unfortunately, those players might not be good enough either. Wait! I just had a briliant idea! If we can afford it, and this might be a stretch, we should aim higher than the washed up has-beens that play so-called "football" in that crap excuse for a league, the EPL. I say we shoot for the stars and bring in some A-Leaguers. Have you seen those guys play? Wowsers!!! Guys like Burke, Hayes, Goodlett .... the list goes on. Anyone of them good enough to single-handedly win the MLS Cup. Yes - they are THAT good!!!

sormun definately knows what he's talking about. Everyone should listen to him. If you can't see his keen eye for talent, tactical and strategic brilliance, and awesome knowledge of this sport at all levels, well there's just no helping you.

Bye-bye Hudson, sormun for coach!!!

7. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Hey weasel my man-weren't you talking about getting rid of most of the players too in your "Rebuilding for 2003" thread??

8. weasel

weasel Member

Oct 31, 2000
    NYC
    Etch666,

Ever heard of sarcasm? I'm merely pointing out that sormun is out on a limb trying to deny Convey was one of the best players on the field for either team last night. A-League material? Whatever.

As for the other thread, I know you're upset because the general consensus is Etch is past it, but lighten up buddy. And if you're attempting to equate saying this team needs some major rebuilding to a rant of sormun proportions, well then, there really is no helping you.

9. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    OK you're being sarcastic then! Convey one of the best player on the field?? Debatable...

As for Diablo being past it, if he is, so be it. I don't think he is past his prime at all, rather, the biggest problem is he doesn't play well with some of the current players. He and Convey are on different pages. Also, you should review on tape the offensive positions he puts guys in w/his passes-yet too often they screw it up that's from a lack of talent

If Diablo retires, which wouldn't surprise me, I'll just change my username to Budwiser or something. I chose etcheverry666 because I used to play center mid like Diablo and am amazed at Diablo's abilities and vision. I didn't pick it because I'm Bolivian or Hispanic

I assume you picked weasel because it's Rongen's BigSoccer nickname?

sormun has some excellent points and knows the game

10. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    yeah i have to put a word in for sorum. though i disagree with his assessment of bobby, i do think he often makes some very good points about the team (i also tend to be a glass half-empty guy). i love to contrast his cranky ass with the folks who are more positive.

11. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    One thing about all this talk of who is or is not A-League quality. Have you seen any games recently in the A-league?

I actually watched the Montreal Impact vs. Rochester Raging Rhinos last Friday. Wow, I was struck by the quality of the play. Not only did everyone seem to possess the light touch of Roy Lassiter, but they also had the decision making of Mike Burns. Most plays consisted of a player receiving a pass with a touch of stone, thus putting the ball 5 to 10 yards away, and then racing to beat an opposition player to it. Most passes went to opposition players or ended up with the opposition due to the touch of stone. There wasn't a single player on the pitch that I thought could actually hack it in MLS and no one that I wanted to see play with DC United.

If Convey did go down to the A-League, he would be a Super Star. Of course, he would have no one to pass to nor anyone to give him the ball...

Moderator Note: Please do not attack other posters. This means calling people idiots. Feel free to disagree with other posters, but please refrain from degenerating into name calling. Thanks.

12. weasel

weasel Member

Oct 31, 2000
    NYC
    Actually, I have caught some A-League games on TV, and they are without question the worst games I have ever seen.

I'll let sormun's posts speak for his knowledge of the game. I will say, however, that anyone criticizing Convey for this game is completely off base.

I'll agree that Etch and Convey are on different pages. That's why I'd like to see Etch go and get a new playmaker in here. I prefer Convey's game to Etch's, and would rather have someone that meshes well with Convey than one who meshes well with Etch.

As far as Etch vs. Convey for this game, I'd say Convey created as many, if not more, dangerous plays than Etch.

And no, my username has nothing to do with Rongen.

13. weasel

weasel Member

Oct 31, 2000
    NYC
    I just took a look at the DCU site and they have the MVP voting options up for the NE game:

Nelsen
    Williams
    Villegas
    Q2
    Prideaux

Richie "I'm going to try for a field goal" Williams is and option? Villegas is there, and no Convey? Is this some kind of sick joke, or do they just pick players at random?

Convey & Nelsen were my top two for this game.

14. sormun

sormun New Member

Jul 13, 1999
    DCU and Thamlin19 shame on you !!!!

15. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I've noticed that the options for MOTM on United's website are often incongruous with the actual match.

16. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

I just don't think one of our better players regardless of age should be dropped to a second division (in America!) team.

17. Dennis P. Crawford

Dec 5, 2001
    D.C. v. N.E. Post game

My two kids and I are from Lincoln, NE and are big soccer fans. We attend about 6 or so Wizards games every year.

Kudos to D.C. fans for the great atmosphere. The D.C. fans are passionate and very supportive of their team. The atmosphere at Arrowhead is merely a shadow of the atmosphere at RFK. Perhaps we Midwesterners are too reserved. In any event, my two kids and I had a great time. We had the pleasure of sitting in Section 234, just behind Barra Brava. These fans were almost as entertaining as the action on the field.

D.C. was unlucky not to win. Adin Brown just played out of his head. But for his numerous saves, D.C. could've easily scored 4 or 5 goals. The referees were not kind to United either.
    (One last note, now you can see why K.C. waived Lassiter) Regards to all D.C. fans.

18. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I'm glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed the match! You were sitting behind the combined supporting strength of Barra Brava and Screaming Eagles. My first season of season tickets was in 234 for the same reasons you have pointed out. The entertainment actually started about 30 yards before the field did!

That's why I moved down a section!

Thanks for the kind words.

19. Enforcer

Enforcer New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    The Quiet Side
    I vote for Olsen as man of the match.