Official DC United vs New England POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Jul 27, 2002.

1. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    We dominated that game yet lost. No luck, bad finishing

There were a few handballs-we should've gotten a PK

Hard to take. Olsen looked very good. Lassiter's finished-glad we got him though but his MLS career is over. Quintanilla looked good. McKinley and Williams were bad

2. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts on the match:

I had forgotten what a sprark plug Ben is. Wow. It was great seeing him in action again. He should be in some decent (although rusty) form in two weeks when we see him agiain.

'Nilla was good, and I think he'll only get better after he learns more about his teammates. Like, passing to a covered Convey, Etch, or dropping the ball all the way back to Reyes is a much better offensive option than giving it to an onrushing open Ritchie Williams in the area.

I've said for years, that Eddie is an excellent option up front. In desperate late minutes of games, when Eddie wants the team to score, he has been really dangerous. And under the (lack of) firepower alternatives, it was not a bad move. Another option would have been to put Eddie back on D,and have Nelson move up.

Of course the 3 man offensive front of Nelson, 'Nilla, and Pope was very interesting. And one of the more dangerous combinations we've had.

Good effort by the defense (again) got burned/screwed once.

I'm pumped about Gazza. I noticed him in the warmup, walking around getting the feel of things, sitting on the bench, taking notes, talking to the coaches, and players. The man is serious and wants to make this work, he's not here on a vacation.

3. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Hopefully one of Gazza's notes was "Never pass to Williams", and they can translate it into Spanish for Quintanilla.

4. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I'm pumped too. We better not decide not to sign him because we need forward help

That's just crazy thinking

Put Curtis in there, if nothing else. Contact sormun for info on A-league forwards ;)

Midfield of Olsen, Diablo, Convey, Gazza. That would be incredible

Quintanilla looked good. We just need a healthy Moreno, or like I said Curtis, or some junk forward from somewhere

5. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    my 3 cents worth:
    DC gets an A for effort. They fought hard. Reyes, Convey, Etch and Olsen had good games. Too bad Moreno was unavailable.
    The move to the 3-5-2 with Mckinley a d-mid but going forward when crosses are made, was to take advantage of a short NE back line. Almost worked. I think Lassiter inspired Ray's anger by attempt at a bicycle from Etch's chip. McKinley was wide open behind Lassiter, and running onto that, almost certainly a goal (but who knows with how things are going?) I think Roy sealed his fate there.
    That's why Eddie came in late- to get his head on all the hail-marys we were supposed to be launching in the last 10 minutes.
    Really a high-level game after the first 15 minutes, Coach Hudson got some great effort out of the team.

6. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    ARE WE METROS IN DISGUISE?

Terrible, terrible game. We're a team of midgets, so why are we playing the ball in the air?

We need to use speed and play the ball on the ground.

Oh yes, the refs sucked. I really, really thought about waiting for them as they left the match as I knew which car they were driving. I told them I would be there. I think they took me seriously ;)

My avatar says it all.

Sachin

7. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    People should realize that Brown had a terrific game at goal for NE. The game was one-sided in that United dominating the 1st half and most of the 2nd half in ball possession and offense. But same story can't finish. Olsen almost scored twice and makes things happen. Lassister is a waste, can't control the ball, can't dribble. He was inside the box twice open with good passes to him and blows it. Vallegas played well I thought. Disagree with Pope coming in at forward. Bonehead move. Heres a guy playing defender all his life and then in a desperate move comes in at forward. I much rather see Curtis in there. Overall, DCU played well except in the category that counts most. Putting the ball past the keeper and into the net.

No need to panic. This team has talent. The goals will come if Husdon can get them to gel as a team together. We put together a run starting now the playoffs are reachable. Q2 is a fine player.

8. sormun

sormun New Member

Jul 13, 1999

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Eddie Pope played forward until he switched to defender while he was at UNC.

10. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA
    Wasn't it Wayne Gretzky who once said that "100% of the shots not taken will not go in"? We simply need to shoot more. The refs stunk up the place and I think potentially cost us the game.

But to sum up the game for me: BEN OLSEN!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, he got tired very quickly and he was a little rusty, but gosh darn it, did you see the chances he created and the passion he played with?

On a side note, what was up with Villegas' hair?

11. Enforcer

Enforcer New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    The Quiet Side
    Re: Re: Firecrackers from the Supporters

Seemed to have hit a nerve here. Frankly, I don't care if it was SE or BB. I was just curious as to why it was happening. I would expect the SE or BB to self-police themselves a little better. If this happened in the North stands, there would probably be a great outrage about this type of behavior.

In general, I find the security at the games to be very lax, and I am a little surprised that RFK has not changed their security procedures for the stadium.

-- Not a member of any supporter's group. I'm just a season ticket holder.

12. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Firecrackers from the Supporters

Were you there last night? If the barricades and DC cops crawling all over the place didn't qualify as changed security procedures I don't know what would.

13. Enforcer

Enforcer New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    The Quiet Side
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Firecrackers from the Supporters

I was there last night. Just because you have a larger police presence, it doesn't mean that you have good security. With all of the cops, how did someone get firecrackers into RFK? It seems harmless but what if someone decides to throw firecrackers onto the field and a player gets hurt?

As long as you don't have a bag, security waves you through the gate. No questions asked.

What if someone decides to bring in something more dangerous like a knife or a gun that can fit into a pocket?

Anyway, it still doesn't answer my original question of why this is happening? I always thought the supporter's groups were about having fun and enjoying soccer in a safe environment. I'm starting to have my doubts.

14. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Welcome back sormun. :)

But, I gotta call BS on this one. OK, now I see your axe ... grind it if you like. But if this is your honest view of the game and performance then I think you might want to step back and re-think your concepts. If this is your honest assessment, I am willing to bet that you did very very very poor on your World Cup picks, because it seems like you have only one specific style that you recognize and everything else is "gloom and doom." Look, Argentina went out early ... we're not them. If you honestly think Convey was crap and Eliseo (who did have a very nice debut game) was great, then I can see that you have a very skewed perception and are not seeing things clearly. Sorry, but that's just how I see your comments.

Putting Pope in was the RIGHT thing to do. Breaking down bunkered teams must be done with hard shots whenever possible (including from distance) and looking for deflections and scamble goals. BUT the best option is on set pieces or drawing free/penalty kicks. Hudson played for those situations and we played a great game.

Finishing has sucked and we didn't sign the two consistent finishers that were on trial (Joares and Dalglish). We've been paying for it all season.

Joares would have been a great addition, but I think we missed that window. If not, we should add him. If Gazza is settle down and fit and really ready to play, then we should add him as well. Salary Cap can be manipulated. If we cannot add either of those two we should, as I mentioned before, add Washington. He's fast, big, finishes, and doesn't miss too many games with injury (usually).

-Tron

15. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Sormun is and has always been even more of a caricature of a poster than Mejido....where is he, by the way?

16. DissonantNote

DissonantNote New Member

Jun 30, 2002
    SW/DC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Firecrackers from the Supporters

I'm not really sure what more security could do with regard to the firecrackers getting into RFK. How in the world are they going to check for such things? They did use the metal detector wands the first couple of games this year, but those wouldn't have detected firecrackers. I for one do not want to be "fondled" by the security guys coming into the stadium! ;) No, that's not a gun in my pocket, and I'm certainly not happy to see you!

After the firecrackers are in and they have been set off, about all security can do is evict all the surrounding people from the stadium. Chances of actually pinpointing the guilty party are pretty slim. Self policing really has to be the answer.

I do think we might be blowing out of proportion a lot of the risks involved in attending a game at RFK. I'm pretty convinced that the most dangerous thing most people encounter is driving to and from RFK, and not anything that happens at the stadium.

17. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Re: Re: Re: Firecrackers from the Supporters

Sorry, it was an honest mistake I'm sure - but understand they are two seperate groups with two seperate reputations to protect - so we do care ;)

18. mikemeg

mikemeg New Member

Jun 3, 1999
    Arlington, VA,USA
    I'm sorry, I can't get all that depressed about Saturday night. My depression peaked when I saw that both starting forwards were injured and Llamosa was going to be playing. So we end up starting Lassiter-- who not only hasn't finished, but hasn't even looked vaguely dangerous-- and a new guy, who no matter how good he is will take some time to get on the same page as the rest of the team. Of COURSE we weren't going to get any goals from our forwards. You had to hope for either a trash goal or something from our midfielders.

But there was a lot that encouraged me:
    1) Q2 looked good, and he'll be a solid contributor. McKinleyesque speed, but seemed to have a very good head for the game.
    2)The backline adjustment was a perfect decision of the kind we haven't seen Hudson make previously.
    3)Olsen is back, and looks surprisingly good. The thing I like most about him is that he looks like he's having fun, something we haven't seen in RFK in several years. He's the guy who, more than anyone, makes you wish you could play pro ball. It just looks like a good time.

And while many criticized the Pope sub as "panicking", well sure!! It was a panicky move! Because we were in a situation that justified panic! No decent forwards. At least put in a guy who can get a head on the dang ball.

Yeah, I'm as tired as anyone having to find joy in "promising developments". But when you have no forwards, that's pretty much all you can hope for.

If we get Moreno back, Pope healthy enough for 90 defensive minutes, and Olsen with a little more wind (at wing), we can be very dangerous. Last place: it can only get better, and there are several reasons to believe it will. I'm not saying we're playoff bound, but 2-3 lineup adjustments make us capable of beating anybody.

19. skippy

skippy Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tenacious D

In the vien of giving credit where credit is due, you have to like the fact that, despite the national teamer of the group playing striker, the defense limited the Revs to one fluke goal. Ralston and Twellman make a dangerous combination and this Revs team hung three pretty goals on the Muttros last week. They did not do the same to our back three. That's encouraging.

As for Ray's comments on signing Gazza in light of our offense: It's a pointy ball draft/player acquisition cliche that when you really suck (and we do) you sign the best players regardless of position. And right now, Gazza fits that description. Gazza may not be a forward, but I'm guessing he would have be several times more dangerous than Lassiter was playing forward last night. I mean, he has a touch on the ball doesn't he? If so, that puts him one up on Roy. If you're not going to sign Gazza do it because he isn't good enough to be one of the best XI, not because he doesn't play forward.

As for the potential sCrew player/trade: Do we really want Buddle? With that guy, DCU could start entering U-23 tourneys, and maybe they should, just to get some confidence.

Finally, will Eddie play on the attack for the USMNT at the All Star game.

20. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    I have decided that Eliseo is the Spanish name that corresponds to Elvis.

That said, Elvis looked pretty good.

But, somebody has to score! Really.

Villegas should be cut just for that terrible hair cut.

Lazo dyed his hair red. That will make it even more difficult for us to trade him (as if that could happen anyway). After we cut him, it wil make it more difficult for him to be picked up by any team but Dallas or Chicago. Oh wait, there are some teams in the A-League with the color red in their uniforms. I guess one of those.

Olsen looked good for 32 minutes. Pope looked alright at forward and connected on some passes up front.

It was horrible, but I was almost hoping that we could sub in Abby Wambach at one point. At least she scored which is an honor she shared on the night only with Ivan McKinley's arse. (That goal was not only not scored an own goal, but two assists were given. What the hell was up with that?)

21. RCadieux

RCadieux New Member

Apr 6, 2002
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't go to the game, but I taped it and watched it yesterday morning.

On the missed penalties - On Villegas in the first half, on replay it looks like he slipped on wet grass or tripped over his own feet. There didn't appear to be any contact. I was screaming for the penalty in live action, but when I saw the replay I thought the no call was correct.
    I don't understand the no call on the hand ball by Franchino. He chested the ball onto his hand it appeared.
    The other handball was a lot tougher to call. Etchevarry's kick went onto the defensive player's hand from almost point blank range. Hard to call that contact as intentional.

Also, having watched a few Revolution games on the Shootout package, I have to say they are a far better team on defense with Adin Brown in goal. Not that excuses not scoring against them, but....

Loved seeing Ben play. Can't wait until he can go 90 minutes.

I thought putting Pope in up top was a great move. Too bad he couldn't get a goal.

22. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    Well said.

23. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Firecrackers from the Supporters

Someone in the Barra dropped some firecrackers in the pedestrian tunnel on our way into the game right by my feet (I know it was BB person because he was wearing a BB shirt). Fortunately I saw the thing on the ground and was able to move out of the way so I didn't get burned. I found the person who did it and said, hey pal, you almost burned me, hopefully he'll be more considerate next time (because next time it could be a small child walking next to him).

What I don't understand, if the Barra doesn't want the security folks harrassing them why do they do things like set off firecrackers to draw them to their section?

K

24. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Firecrackers from the Supporters

So you're saying everyone should be frisked by security as we enter the stadium? There's no other way to prevent people from smuggling small things in with them.

I'll take my chances with the firecrackers. Frisking people would be way over the top considering there is rarely any serious violence. Have there been any serious incidents since that guy got stabbed a few years ago? I'm not talking about fist fights - I'm talking about life-threatening things.

I firmly believe that the very visible police presence helped keep the more rowdy elements under control.

25. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Sormun,

I dared you to come on here and put down Convey's performance and this is exactly what you did..

It seems rather obvious to me and Digital Tron and probably 96% of the rest of the United supporters that you have no respect for Convey at all..

That's fine with me, I just find it strange that you are the only person on these boards who goes to the games and watches the same game I do and sees a completely different performance..

I guess when I asked Gazza on the elevator after the game what he thought of Convey and he said "smashing little player", I guess that probably doesn't mean much to you..

Besides, what do guys like Gascoigne and Bruce Arena know about soccer anyway?