Official DC United vs MetroStars PRE Match Thread • USOC Semifinals 10/1

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    DC United vs MetroStars
    Lamar Hunt US Open Cup • Semifinals

• Wednesday, October 1, 7:30 EST •
    • Yurcak Field • Rutgers University •

No Television
    DCUnited.com Match Preview
    MetroStars.com Match Preview - Tickets, directions etc.
    Yurcak Field Information
    English Webcast - WMET
    PBP Chat Information

This post will be updated later in the week for corrections and additions.
    Items in gray will be updated once available or confirmed.

We've just gotta win this one.

No FlamesNo Trolls

2. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    DC United-2
    Metrostars-0

3. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    DC United - 2
    Other guys - 1

Cerritos, Dema, and one of those other slugs score.

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United - 3
    'scum - 1

Stokes with an asssit, Petke and Bobby with a goal.
    Is Rutgers a grass field?

5. Goalkeeps7

Goalkeeps7 Member

Apr 1, 1999

Yes. Good surface.

6. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Is it too much to ask for Islamic fundamentalists to kill the entire New Jersey team?

(ok.. i admit maybe thats a bit over the top...)

How about Dema breaks 11 players legs... all legally (more or less) and then he sleeps with/impregnantes their ugly wives and girlfriends?

(ok ok... also a BIT unlikely... there is no f-ing way ALL the Metros could even find an ugly companion worthy of their love*) [*see Mark Lisi and his never ending self love lessons]

--How about DC United just abuses this team like a red headed step child and wins for all of us: the fans, Nicky, and Ben Olsen.

(God I hate predictions....)

DC United 3

NJ F###heads 1

7. garretth

garretth New Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Virginia
    NO TV!

BULL$HIT

Why isn't FSW showing the game?

8. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

No, just as long as they release Eddie Pope and only rough up Clark and Magee.

I've never been this excited about game. Ever.

I'm going to believe Petke when he says that we're going to kick them right up their cheating asses.

DC-2

9. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    After the win in New Jersey we definitely headed into Sundays match with some momentum. But on Sunday, we lost the win and the Metro's accomplished their goal (not to lose). With that last second goal, the Metro's may have stolen back momentum and now head into this Semi Final with a little bit of advantage.

Sunday's match was ugly due partly to fatigue, so we should expect Wednesday's match to be no less ugly.

Losing Mathis for this game will hurt the MetroStars, but they do get Guevara back, who should help to solidify their attack.

We're without Ben and Thiago for this game, and after seeing Thiago vs the MetroStars, the lack of his presence will definitely be felt.

We're going to need some huge games from several players. Not sure what we'll see in terms of the line up. I'd really like for Stokes to see some time, and since it's been a while since Namoff played a full game, I'd guess that he should go in too. Here's my best guess for the game

------------------Warren---------------

--Stokes----Nelsen-----Petke----Namoff-

----------------Kovalenko--------------
    ------Cheyo------------------Convey----
    -----------------Stewart---------------

----------Cerritos---Eskandarian-------

This is all assuming that Hristo is healthy enough to come in late as a striker sub. Otherwise Marco could see time at A Mid while Earnie and Ronald pair up on top. Marco would then come out and Earnie would drop back to A Mid with Alecko coming into the game.

Either way this is going to be an ugly match. It probably won’t be as ugly as Sunday’s, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we see several yellows handed out.

i hope that we can pull out a win from this, but it's hard to tell what United team will show up. If it's a repeat from Sunday, we'll lose.

10. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    All the pundits were right about these three games firing up this rivalry. After the game Sunday I was seeing blood.

I'm so fired up about this one. If the team is half as driven as the fans are we'll likely beat them until they curl up and cry.

For the cup final, for my mental balance...WIN!

11. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Will the Metros actually lose Mathis for this game, since his red card was in league (and not US Open Cup...) play?

12. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    He's sitting on a red from their last USOC game, too. :D

13. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Really?!? Wow!

14. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I noticed that Mark Lisi has picked up yellows in two straight matches in Open Cup competition. Does anyone know if that means he must sit?

15. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    3 total yellows in the USOC result in a 1-game suspension. I can post a link to the full USOC rules in .pdf if you'd like.

16. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too am angered that FSW isn't showing this one. WTH! Metros v DCU is shaping up to be the best USOC match all year.

17. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR
    If this match is half as entertaining as the Fire-Gals game it will be a 24 carat cracker!!! Fox Sports World has dropped the ball in this case. I wish I were in NJ this week, but alas I'm relying on television (boo hoo).

18. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    Well at least we can listen to it on the radio/online... to be honest I’m still exhausted from my vacation that I don't know if I could handle watching another game like Sunday... I just hope DC comes out like they did last Thursday.

I’m getting tired of our inconsistent play. I think, when we're on our game, we can beat any team in MLS. Losing Olsen has hurt us, but Ben really only started to step up his game another notch after Cheyo hurt his knee (after he had just started to get on fire). So maybe it's Bobby's turn to get the fire going on the wings. Either way, we've got some serious talent on our squad and we've got a really good chance of not only making the playoffs but also pushing pretty far into the post season. But if we can't string together two strong home and away series, we've got no shot at making it to the championship... which should be our goal right now.

We’ve got a really good chance of taking the Open Cup this year. New Jersey may have taken the Atlantic Cup (I’ll give them their due, the beat us when they needed too) but they are definitely beatable and we a team that can certainly accomplish that feat. (and not to get ahead of ourselves, but we've played very well against Chicago this season and I consider Chicago the best team in MLS right now.)

19. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

WAIT!!! I t is on FSW

20. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes please.

21. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Official DC United vs MetroStars PRE Match Thread • USOC Semifinals 10/1

Unfortunately, it's not.

Just checked FSW's weekly schedule - http://www.foxsportsworld.com/content/view?contentId=920998 - and while the match is going on in new jersey, FSW will be showing the FSW report and German/Dutch league highlights.

At least there'll be the radio...

22. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Nope. FSW dropped it when they changed the date of the game to 10/1.

23. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wtf i just checked FSW.com and I thought they were showing it on FSW, but instead they're showing Man City vs. Spurs

:(

24. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THAT SUCKS!!!!!

25. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i think this match will be huge. not only does it have the cup implications, but also, it is looking that we may end up with the scum in round 1 of the playoff. this match could set a real tone here.