Official DC United vs MetroStars PRE Match Thread • Atlantic Cup Matchday 4

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Roughly 30 hours to go before The Second Battle of The Fall!

BRING IT!

2. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    It's Saturday and I think I've finally sobered up from Thursday. Major thanks to those who kept me in check at the swamp. No fire water for me on Sunday. I'll stay close to the healing powers of The Keg.

It's Warren's net now and I think the kid will come up big for us. He's been excellent for all of the Open Cup matches. He knows this is his chance to shine. That said, heal up soon Nicky.

Stewart and Cerritos are on fire. Those two play like one. They have a really good feel for where the other is, and what they're gonna do together as they get the ball forward.One or both of them will be lighting up Mr. Walker (the keeper not the fire water ;) ).

United as a whole is playing their best football right now, and continue to get better as each match passes. Not only should we whip there tail on the pitch, our Supporters groups will make the ESC wish they had stayed home and watched this one on TV.

Warren gets a clean sheet on this one. United 3- Scum 0 .

3. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    First, I'm glad you mentioned Warren's faces- they were a riot!

Second, as to what Bradley will do, he's got two problems- replacing guevara and that defense:

1) With Guevara, he probably will slide Mathis back to a-mid and start two of Magee, Wolyniec and their new Polish guy. Or he could go with Lisi as the a-mid, leave mathis at forward and pair him up with one of the other three forwards.

2) As for their defense, I wonder if Bradley will switch to a 442. (In that case we'll see Perch.) But as Arisrules points out very well, the metros have had very poor results out of their outside backs as the season has gone along. Either that or move Pope to the middle (where he clearly belongs on that team) and maybe try Forchetti on the right. Wouldn't be surprised to see DiGi sit for Bartholemaeu (sp.) given how Olsen abused him last game. At any rate I expect Bradley's team to be more defensive this game.

BUT- If Bradley starts Addo in the middle again, or even plays that 352 with any combo of defenders and ABMOD and Lisi in midfield then it is imperative that our front six- forwards and mids- bring lots of forward pressure. There are a lot more goals to be had like what Stewart did to Addo against the metros' 352. So now I'm the camp of sitting Etch for this game again.

4. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I would ve very surprised if Joe Addo does not sit and Eddie, Jolley, and Edgar are the back 3 or add Zaidie if he goes to a back 4. Addohad no chance against our forwards all night.

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so pumped for this.

United 3-1

6. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Beer or Rolling Rock? ;)

7. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Which will it be Sunday?

8. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Ditto.

I think RFK will be rocking with passion on Sunday afternoon.

9. pablo1neum

pablo1neum Member

Jun 19, 2003
    BOWIE!
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big crowd, NY/NJ tired and on a downswing, and United's on an upswing. Mathis was an absolute zero on Thursday night & he won't be any better here on Sunday.

3-0. Cerritos, Convey, Kovalenko.

10. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Is there a big crowd expected?

11. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think you missed my point. I am not dismissing anything. You got me right on the second guess, I merely meant that right now Convey is NOT ahead of those players on the DC UNITED depth chart for playing in the middle. You or I are as likely to start sunday in the playmaking mid role on this team right now. --Sure he is talented there... but my rant was specifically at the notion that he will appear there this season baring injuries.

12. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Rolling Rock! We cannot be defeated!!!! :D

[​IMG]

13. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    Well... I just got home from the WWC, and I'm glad to say that after 6 matches (and probably numerous practices) the field still looks pretty good for tomorrow. I understand that we've got a chance of rain to night, but that might help us out a bit... i think I remember that Earnie like the field for the El Salvador match and that was after some rain.

14. sormun

sormun New Member

Jul 13, 1999
    I think Bradley felt humiliated by the Metros defeat !! At the same time the Metros players will change their attitude from " we own the DCU " on thursday to " we will win at all costs" tomorrow.
    What possible stratregy will Bradley apply sunday ??
    I believe, he will bunker to have our team attacking with numbers !! He is hopping for a lucky contra executed by Wolyniec or the Polish striker.
    So, I believe he is counting that our level of frustration will increase to the point where they can have a succesfull contra. Acctualy he hopes for the same scenario we used to score our second goal. I am sure, he is gonna send Gaven on the field for a repeat winning contra.

I believe the tomorrow's game will be more of a fight than a game !! I am concerned about the new goalie, he better be good, it will be really a heart breaking to lose a game because of poor goalie's performance !!

15. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Sormun my man. Thanks for the vote of confidence for our back line. ;)

As for Warren, the kid has looked good for the few matches I have seen him play. I don't think he's better than Nick. But the kid ain't chopped liver either. As long as we're in a 4-4-2, I think the kid'll do a fine job.

As for any contra, I'll quote George W. Bush and say Bring It!! If they bunker, we'll whip there tails.

Have faith my man, have faith. Now if we could only talk our training staff into bringing our injured players out to experiance the healing powers of The Keg. ;)

16. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    If they bunker, it is of utmost importance that we have Martins on the field. It's a lot easier to go over a bunker than straight through it.

17. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    time to sleep. When I wake up it'll be almost time to whip the Metros again ;-)
    Did I already say 3-1 DC??!!??

18. ive8

ive8 New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    US
    Is Hristo back for this game? TV?

19. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

MLSnet.com lists him as injured.

TV- MSG and Shootout

20. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Correct..

For those of you who can't make it to RFK later today, this game is on the Shootout (channel 794) at 4 pm..

Those of you with DirecTv who don't have the Shootout package but do have the Regional Sports package can watch this game replayed on channel 621 (MSG Network) at 12 midnight or at 3 am..

Set those VCR's, it'll be worth it......

21. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    aight guys, im going to sleep now. hopefully ill wake up at noon, get in the car and get to dc by 2.
    VAMOS! VAMOS UNITED!!! bum bum ba ba dum bum blah blah beat the metros.

22. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'll have the joy of listening to the game on the radio. Nothing like a play-by-play by some guy who gets excited over any touch of the ball.

Other than the fact that I'm hundreds of miles away from this game, I'm pumped for this match. There's so much on the line and this is what DC has been playing for all year. This is our oppurtunity to show the rest of the league just how much of a threat we are. My prediction: DC 2 NY/NJ 1

23. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can we dominate set pieces if we have Etch taking them?

24. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    WHATEVER!

BRING IT!

25. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i saw hristo at the WWC on wednesday and he told me he would be ready to play on sunday. but i noticed on the mls match preview he is out
    http://www.mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker.php?gamename=09282003_METDC&version=preview

maybe it didn't heal, maybe he was too optimistic or maybe mlsnet is wrong.

man i am pumped. watching LA get beat just got the blood pumping even faster.

i wish the gate in lot 8 were open now!!!