Official DC United vs MetroStars PRE Match Thread • Atlantic Cup Matchday 3

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Ok, Getting ready to go to the store for ice, beer, chicken, beer, smokes.....and beer. Bring on the Scum!!!!

2. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A a Red Sox fan I have to take issue hear. Not all of us are negative all the time. ;)

We do however come with a ingrained hate of the New York metropolitan area though. :eek:

3. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    1. As to the "trolling" issue and Sormun, I think the point is that in almost all cases, when an opposing fan posts with comments like "your MF is no good" or "the A-league has strikers better than DCU" we can assume that is is usually (but not always) an attempt to jerk someone's chain, to simply goad and insult. That isn't what Sormun is doing here. It doesn't go to the content, it goes to the motivation. Since we can't do a "motivator test" (like a polygraph) for opposing fan posts, the assumption is that it's a troll. But Sormun isn't seeking to jerk someone's chain here. Agree or disagree with him, but that's his position and he's a fan of DCU.

2. I actually agree with him on the midfield issue. Not as extremely as he does. But I think Metro has an advantage at midfield this match. I think they'll have much more energy, players that fit roles better. I like Dema much more than ABMOD. But Richie is a better fit at D-mid than is Dema. Ricardo Clark and Lisi have seen their games drop off. But right now Convey's game is in the toilet (let's hope a start changes that). Olsen has been less effective of late. And I salute Etcheverry for all he's done in the past, how strongly he bleeds for this team and cares about DCU and...I'd trade him for Guevara (the diver and whinner) in a second. By my book, Guevara is probably the best foreign acquisition in MLS this year. Our forwards are playing well, our defense is good. Better midfield position and creativity and we'd just tear people apart. Plus, I think Metro will play a 3-5-2 (with Digi in midfield--that's what Goff prints). Put their 5 against our 4 (one of which is Etcheverry) and I think they'll have possession this match.

That said, Metro overall isn't playing well as a team. That Goff has Addo listed as a starter (and Bradley has had no confidence in him all season) says miles about the state of their defensive play of late.

4. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    LESS EFFECTIVE??? Olsen has scored 2 game winners in the past three games!!!, From outside the box!!! Oh I keep forgeting that must have been luck, because according to some fans our team sucks , our coaches suck, we suck for rooting them on and savoring victories, and basiclly DC couldn't beat my 6 yr old sister and her little girl friends at soccer. Dude, he called Esky a kndergatener and Cerritos a Dallas scrub! He Motivates this team like Ike Motivated Tina. And it's not a difference of opinions, yeah Marco's old, Earnie's not exactly lighting it up, but COME ON! I mean fvck, if its that hopeless why buy tickets, why watch?

Olsen have Proven to be effective like nobodies business, Earnie's been to 3 WC's for a reason, and if Marco plays like he did against SJ United WILL WIN...

5. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    The reason is that he's older than me at 34! You don't go to 3 WC's as a 25 year old scoring machine too often.
    Too late. He averaged 8 goals a season in the Dutch league. He's showing us that either the Dutch league sucked, or he's waaay past his prime. No matter what position he's playing, he should have had more than one goal by this point.

Thx,

Jay!

6. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    Talked to Bison as the bus trip was getting under way and he says that word has come down through "sources" that the lineup will be as follows:

Martin and Cerritos will be up front
    Stewart will drop into an attacking midfield role
    And Dema, Convey and Olsen will round out the midfield

7. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed Sormun is no troll. He is simply a DC United fan who is not happy. He is also more than willing to express that displeasure which is just fine with me. Besides we need someone to point out the other side of the coiun, on occasion, which he does with his own unique style. ;)

8. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    I like that midfield.

I hope that Martins steps up.

Should be exciting.

Tell Bison to tell Dyson thanks!

Tim

9. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    Interesting and possibly good lineup. I hope Martins makes a real showing tonight. If he thumps the Metros tonight he'll have a Barra jersey this weekend. His height and his alleged goal scoring ability make this intriguing. I wish I was up in Hoffa's House tonight, hell Iwish I could even see the game on TV. I hate listening to a computer.
    Convey needs to play like a big boy tonight. I hope he's up for it.

10. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    You know it may work but I do not think that is the best lineup we could put out there. One big problem all year has been our forwards working together. Earnie and Ronald put together 3 good games in a row and then for 2 HUGE away games, Ray breaks them up. Why not keep those two up front, move Dema up to attacking mid and let Namoff play D-Mid?? 6 point game late in the season and we are starting a guy who has never played in MLS before.

11. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Fixed your post. :)

12. Aaargh! I didn't sign up for the bus because I was sure my work schedule wouldn't allow it and it looks like--now that the bus is long gone--I coulda skipped out of the office today without too much problem!

Someone's gonna have to pay for this--and I think it should be the Scum!

(Not to mention that actually going to the game would get me home and safely in bed before I'll get there after watching the tape delay broadcast!)

So Ray doesn't give Martins any minutes in a sub role but starts him in an all-important away game and moves Earnie to the a-mid role he hasn't played much all year? He's like a mad scientist trying every permutation available--emphasis on "mad".

13. entropy

entropy Member

Aug 31, 2000
    People's Republic of Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I agree wholeheartedly...seems silly to break up the forward tandem after everyone (players, coaches, press, fans) has commented on how well it was working. I mean, hell, how often have all of the above agreed on anything! :)

Of course, our complaints are based on a mere rumor, so we shall see. (Now watch Martins score a brace with the start.)

14. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [R]

OK watch the game...Do you think Earnie has slowed down. Ritchie needed a tow line on the breakaway. It was right in front of me.