Official DC United vs MetroStars PRE Match Thread • Atlantic Cup Matchday 3

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    not one for pep rally's are you, Sormun? Of course the MetroStars are a good team. That's why they're ahead of us in the standings. But the only thing that can change that if we beat them. The pessimism you preach allows for very little success or hope for success, without which makes following the team a chore and not entertainment. If we went into every game with the expectation that we were going to lose because so-and-so is better than so-and-so, or because that team has a better defense than this team, then there really wouldn't be any fun in watching the games. Most of us here have hope that DC will turn around and win the big games... it is the entire reason why we are fans. Without hope, I don't understand the reason for following any team, let alone, any thing that requires change. I don't disrespect your opinion, but I honestly don't know why you support this club when you show very little hope that they'll improve... if you feel so "ungrateful" when you post, then don't feel obligated to post such things. Post it because you want to, not because it's somehow your duty.

besides, have the stuff that is said on these boards is bullsh!t... that's why these boards are known as BS anyway.

2. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    I wasn't going to respond, because I think we're seeing the same thing (and this is a small issue), but because I just finished responding to Sormun, i'm now in the mood to respond... so I'll just clarify what I meant:

I was thinking more on the level of success against competition. Before coming to DC United, Thiago scored 22 goals in 25 games against A League Competition and one goal against an MLS team.

Before DC United, Alecko scored 25 goals in 16(?) games against NCAA competition. This year he's got 3 goals (and 2 assists) in 20 appearances.

Just because he's scored goals isn't really what I meant by "proven." Under this thought, Pat Onstat is a "proven" goal scorer...

I was thinking more that A league competition is more highly regarded... but whatever.

I like Alecko and I really want him to succeed with DC United. "11" is my lucky number and I don't like the current curse that is associated with the # "11" jersey. I'm really hoping that Alecko can break that curse. It doesn't really bother me that he went into the game in place of Thiago, it's just one of those "hind sight" things that make you wonder what would have been if only ______. Plus, I really want to see what Thiago is made of. If he's really as good as his "resume," then why haven't we seen him yet?

Later...

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    People support sports teams for lots of reasons or, frankly, for no reasons at all. Sure if they're asked about why they support a team they can often rationalize it and give reasons. They're my local team. It was the team my Dad supported. I like so and so who plays for them. And so on and so on. But I actually think that's all a load of crap most of the time. We support teams simply because we can't help it. We just do. And we stick with them through good times and bad. We stick with them even if we lose all hope. Why? Who the f' knows. We just do. So lay off sormun. I question his judgment on many things but not on his support for the team.

I'll shut up now. Let's get back to the pre-match discussion.

4. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    I didn't mean to necessarily attack Sormun, I personally like his perspective... and for the most part, I agree with a lot that he shares here. But his comment that he felt it was his "ungrateful duty" to bring us back to reality kind of put me off. Looking back at it now, I'm sure that he reply that with a smirk on his face, enjoying the opportunity to express his vast knowledge of the sport and his expectations for the game.

The pre-match threads are pretty much 70% irrational banter, 20% good discussion, and 10% off topic... I've now taken something that fell into the 70% section and moved it to the 10% off topic section... so, as Knave has suggested... time to get back to the 90%.

Sorry for sounding so direct Sormun. No disrespect was intended, and no response is necessary. ;) It's much easier to discuss United in the post match thread when we have actual results to contend with.

g'night

-ted

5. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Has he again been drinking Old Milkwaukee in quantities?

6. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    :D

7. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I agree.

ps-But who the heck is Cheba?

8. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Re: Win the war, not the battle

I am not a fan of hating either, I just hate the Metrostars with a great hating! ;)

As for the rest of the post, very very reasonable post.

9. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    It's good to see some people see things differently.

But it wasn't that long ago that Lisi and Richie were on our team and you were saying how bad they were.

While Clark was dominant in the beginning of the season, he has tailed off considerably. Probably due to the long season and the fact that he is a rookie. Guevara is a one trick pony.

If Wolyniec is a better forward than any of my forwards I'll bite the pint glass I drink beer out of.

So they have Mathis and an MLS unproven over-the-hill Polish vet.

I am shaking in my boots.

BRING ON THE METROstars

10. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Metros...we almost beat them w/ Ali Curtis and Stoichkov and Etch on the pitch at the same time. Which we will never do again. Cerritos is a striking upgrade and has helped Earnie play better UP TOP also.

We also didn't have Cheyo nor Convey for that match.

I'm referring to the 4th Sub Match. and BTW. Hudson BETTER USE that rule this time.

11. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah, this is the last time I'll broach the subject, because I obviously am missing something. First if everyone had the exct same opinion, this would be a piss boring thread. Different views make it work, understood. But if Sormun was a MetroStars fan and wrote the exact same post wouldn't that be trolling? One of our fans telling us how much we suck is considered a genius, while a fan of another team telling us how much we suck is a jerk? To parapharse most of his posts "You guys sure are dumb if you think that we're gonna win" And EVERYBODY else bends over backwards to politley respond to him. "Gee wally, I sure do respect you opinion but..." Does he have dirt on like everybody, is that why nobody tells him to get bent? I digress, talking garbage to other fans does nothing for the solidarity of our fan base, as far as I'm considered it's squashed, but I wouldn't consider myself a fan if I didn't get that of my chest. Being a fan always seemed to be based on hope, not statistical data.

The key to victory is goals, and goals will come from THIAGO...

12. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post. Since when did Richie Square Pass No Shot get to be a great player? Lisi that p***y? We've got nothing to fear from the Scum midfield.

13. cherno

cherno New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    "We're D.C. United. We're a big club that rises to big occasions." -Marco Etcheverry

If there was ever a big occasion to rise to, three games against the Mutts in eight days with playoffs and a spot in the U.S. Open Cup finals on the line is it.

Live up to those words DCU.

Cherno

14. lkeniston

lkeniston Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Richmond, Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, who has got that monkey pic of the Metroscum fans? Post it up!

15. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    How's the turf in the swamp these days?

My brother just started a teaching job at Gunston Middle School in Arlington this school year and he was surprised that DC United showed up yesterday to practice on their artificial field.

Good luck to all those of you riding the bus to the game. If you get the driver to go 120 mph on the way back you can get back in time to watch the delayed broadcast. I'm pretty sure it's OK as long as you remember to leave tips at the toll booths.

;)

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... mod's note ...

In another thread please. Let's keep this one for pre-match discussion.

17. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    I agree with you I'm not one of the original members, and frankly I'm getting pretty tired of sormuns tireless "its all lost" attitude. If somebody else said what he said then they would be flamed badly. I know I haven't met him in person, maybe he's a great guy, but still it gets kind of annoying when everybody treats him like that kid who you can never say "no" to. Just my o two.

18. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United

19. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are. No worries. I want to see Thiago in action as bad as you. Hopefully this week.

Cheers, mate.

20. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I work just a few blocks from there. If I had known they were going to practice there, I would have shown up in person.

DC United-1
    Metrostars-0

21. dcgoonies

dcgoonies New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Maryland
  22. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow you should be a Red Sox fan...Thanks for the confidence.

You missed Mike who many Metros fans had left for dead last year...

btw he may be old, but don't give up on Ernie..

23. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Sormun, do you ever post anything positive about this team? I would take DC's midfield over Ny/NJ's in a heartbeat. They have no depth and very little in terms of creativity. At least we have players that don't dive all the time (cough*Guevara*cough). I can't wait to watch this game.

Which sucks because I have to watch this on TV. I have to go stock up on food so I can truly enjoy midnight madness. My prediction: DC 2 NY/NJ 0

Stewart scores and Martins scores after coming off the bench (it could happen)
    Mathis gets carded for dissent and Guevara for diving, effectively eliminating them from Sunday's match.

24. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    I think people should lay off sornum as he does post insightful opinions that are backed up with reasonable facts for the most part. He's not trolling. He's probably desperately hoping someone will contradict him with facts that he can't refute, AND he takes a lot of flack because of that stance. I've met him, and I think he's a legitimate crank (for whatever that's worth). Every family has at least one black sheep, so what's the problem? Are we so frail that we can't withstand some criticism?

25. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Re: Mr. Goff's take

Thanks for the link dcgoonies.

A great article by Mr. Goff.

In less than 12 hours the First Battle of the Fall will begin!

BRING IT!